• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

Did you even read my post...

a "complete lack of effor" are you serious...

Dont you understand that the slightest lack of effort changes everything in BB?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • jgrangers2
So you have the ability, from your couch, to see the difference between 100% and 99% effort?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

yeah...when you watch a team play for over 500 hours you start to get a feel...

and hey maybe I am wrong....but either way its what I felt while watching the games and nothing anybody ever says can change that...I do know how I feel with 100% accuracy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • govmule72
What does Warner Wolf know? Yeah, 30 stolen bases would have gotten us so many more wins. smh.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1

" being better than last year means nothing to me..."
Well last year we had 74 wins. Ten more wins (which our deeper bullpen can give us alone, not including better years from Davis and catcher position) and all of a sudden we have an outside shot at wild card.

Being better than last year means something to me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

Okay but being better than last yEar by itself means nothing...

Unless we show a better effort in the second half than last year....that would mean alot to me

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • jgrangers2
Feelings are often driven by bias. Your eyes can be as deceiving as anything when you go into a situation looking for something that isn't necessarily there.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548271.18 was deleted
  • 2/12/13
  • metsheart
Just ignore Mets had THREE of 5 projected starting pitchers PLUS most reliable reliever go down for 1/2 season or more. And just ignore Mets lost TWLEVE games scoring at least 4 runs from the time Gee & Santana went down (after Pelfrey was out from April). Ignore how horrendous SP replacements performed.

Instead just keep believing young players trying to make a case for the major league team to keep them up with the big club just decided they didn't want to try to win in the 2nd half. They'd rather go back down to AAA & take it easy in oblivion. Yah. That makes PERFECT sense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • jgrangers2
It's not really a conspiracy. This guy just sees what he wants to see. It justifies his belief that Wally is the savior that this team needs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • burningmyeyes
In my opinion, the Mets didnt buckle for lack of effort. They busckled due to lack of TALENT! There was NO incentive for these young kids to quit and ruin any chance at all they may have to be a MLB player. As frustrating as it was to watch, its just tht LOSING is contagious and we were in a tailspin. Thats where the GM should have stepped in at the deadline and at least made an attempt to throw his sinking team a life raft. Sandy however, chose to dig a hole and save himself, leaving his team out to dry. If anyone quit on the team last year it was ownership and Sandy Alderson. NOT the kids trying to give all they have to prove there worth. Just my opinion.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • metsheart
Mets kids didn't "buckle." Pitching KILLED THEM. No team can lose 3 of 5 starters (plus most reliable reliever) for 1/2 the season or more & hope to have a winning season after that.

Mets lost 12 gms scoring 4+ runs from July on. Scoring at least 4 runs those losses are NOT on the offense -- it's 100% on the PITCHING. They win 1/2 those gms & they're 1 gm under .500.

There were also several other 1 & 2 run losses that Bay/ Torres/ Thole/ Nickeas came up w/ RISP & killed the inning. Bay for example batted .122 w/ RISP for the season. Bay batted .140 in Met losses vs .200 BA in Mets wins. That tells a story right there.

Sorry. Pitching is what did the Mets in much more than offense "buckling."

Edited 2/12/13   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo
Chop chop jimg jeffys shoes aren't gonna shine themselves
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

ughhh I hate your extrem straw man argument...its so silly to think this way

Have you ever felt a bit disgruntled at work? Sure you have, everyone has right?

Did you quit? Were you demoted?

Probably not right....

The same thing happens in BB, its natural, its human, unfortunately, in BB he slightest degree of negative energy or failure to push the very end of your limits can change everything

BB players don’t have the option to allow this human emotion to effect them…..they make to much money for it.

If they are not fighting off disgruntled feeling with every bit of their being they are quitting.

If they are not pushing their bodies to the very end of their capacitiy they are quitting

Vic mac explained this whole thing to fargo once quit brilliantly…one day I will find his post

Edited 2/12/13   by  johnyringo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

---"LOSING is contagious "---

see this is what I mean. Poeple accept this crappolla

A guy makes a mountain of money for his verry best effort and you accept "losing is contagious" from him..

What a joke...sorry boss thanks for the millions upon millions but hey losing is contagious...caught the bug...darn

your 100% right he mets caught the losing bug last year....they accepted that it was going around.

But they are paid to annihilate it and they didnt, they accepted in and went throught the motions.

Beltan us to do this stuff all the time, he was fine with losing if you couldnt pin it on him, he didnt get that part of his job is to NOT be fine with losing, even if nobody can pin it on you

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

here you go...from Vic Mackey...enjoy he nailed it!! Try and understand it and stop with the extreme unrealistic crappolla

------------------------------------

Come on now. No one's suggesting that this is a conscious thing, that players get together and literally say "we are making a pact to not care anymore." Competing at the highest level of professional sports is something that requires an almost obsessive level of dedication, except for maybe that incredibly gifted top .0001% of athletes who can coast along with minimal effort and still shine. It's pretty tough to bring that to the table day in and day out. When your owners make it clear that, no matter how hard you work or the degree to which you overachieve, they're not going to bring in anything to help you... doesn't it stand to reason that a group of guys who have been playing their guts out for 3 months might find it that much more difficult to muster up that insane level of desire and dedication?

When it comes to competing at this level, you don't have to drop to literally zero percent effort to go from hanging in the race to no longer being able to compete. Going from 100% to, say, 90% will do it, especially when we're talking about a club like the Mets who didn't have much talent to begin with. I hate analogies that compare us 9-5 shleps to pro athletes, because they're 2 different worlds... but having said that, did you ever have a week or a month where you kind of mailed it in at work? Maybe got displeased with your boss, or a corporate decision you had nothing to do with, and said (not literally SAID, but rather THOUGHT subsonsciously) "what am I killing myself for?" When an athlete thinks that with even 2% of his being... he's finished. I don't think it's a huge stretch to suggest that this team packed it in a little bit when they realized no help was coming.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • jgrangers2
So, essentially, they aren't allowed to have human emotions and responses because they make too much money? It's human nature to have ups and downs in life. Nobody is ever going to be at 100% all the time, it's impossible.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

They can have negative emotions, but they have to find a way to put aside their pride and not respond to them.

I know its hard but BBisnt suppose to be easy.

I suggest counting money to help get through these difficult times

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • jgrangers2
So you don't think the best players have these moments too? At the end of the day, every player is going to have bad days or even longer periods of time and that's why TALENT is the greatest factor. This team was simply outmatched and they looked it for long periods of time. I think that is what you guys equate to a lack of effort.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo

All I think is that its gone on way to much around here and Terry hasnt done enough to stop it.

Even Terry agrees with me, he told us that it happend to much last year, but he also waited untill it was way to late to do anything about it. so no monday morning managers on my team

• Reply to this Message