• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets showing interest in Lannan
  • 12/4/12
  • gomets66
guarantee lannan a rotation spot for 2013. that would help.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • joemets22

I like Lannan. Maybe there's a little bias there cuz he's a LI kid.

It's still going to be real tough to see Dickey go though if it happens.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • brianinwi

"Lannan could become a fixture if we give him a shot."

Sorry, this is a problem? If Lannan's pitching well enough to be blocking Wheeler by midseason, this seems like a good thing, not a bad thing. This is what midseason trades are all about: you trade Niese, Lannan or Gee at the deadline to open up a spot for Wheeler.

Mets should have more problems like that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
"according to alderson today, he hasnt had any talks about niese with teams"

That's TODAY. If Mets sign Lannan that could change Mets trade talks dramatically in terms of Niese.

No Gee ALONE wouldn't bring back that much. But packaged w/ Flores or Murphy + Duda & Familia or Mejia Mets could get back very nice haul.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart

"If Lannan's pitching well enough to be blocking Wheeler by midseason, this seems like a good thing, not a bad thing. This is what midseason trades are all about: you trade Niese, Lannan or Gee at the deadline to open up a spot for Wheeler.

Mets should have more problems like that"

Yes indeed. Can NEVER have TOO MUCH pitching!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • gomets66

That's TODAY. If Mets sign Lannan that could change Mets trade talks dramatically in terms of Niese.>>>>

they seem intent on trading dickey. until thats resolved, niese is probably safe. lannan would be smart to wait. some team will sign him to start in majors. maybe one of the other teams interested in him that have rotation spots open.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • AdrianMonk

I know he does very well against us, but the stats suggest to me an overall 4.0 ERA. I'm really okay with it, but wonder if Mejia of Familia could do the job just as well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
How do we know Mets won't offer Lannan rotation spot???

2013 projected rotation:

Santana (at least til trade deadline if healthy)
Dickey (if not traded)
Niese (if not traded)
Gee (if healthy & not traded)
Harvey

Who's Mets insurance?? Especially LH???

I think odds are good Dickey, Niese or Gee gets traded (Maybe more than 1 of those 3?). That leaves a rotation spot open. Also if Santana's inured or just not pitching well that's another spot to be filled. Or if Gee's not 100% after his medical issues.

Sign Lannan NOW!!! If Mets can sign him for 2-3 yrs for about $8M/ yr (made $5M last yr) that would be AWESOME.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
" stats suggest to me an overall 4.0 ERA. I'm really okay with it, but wonder if Mejia of Familia could do the job just as well."

Thing is Lannan's already proven he can at least be #4 or #5 MLB pitcher. And leftys are tough to come by. RHP's Mejia & Familia have proven NOTHING in the majors. I don't see either of them being SP. More BP types IMO.

P.S. - Lannan does well against Mets because he's tougher on leftys than rightys!!

Edited 12/4/12   by  metsheart
Edited 12/4/12   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • murphstates
Aside from the two year age difference, Lannan and Niese are comparable pitchers. Niese is better, but not by a large margin.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • gomets66

Who's Mets insurance?? >>>>

mejia? familia if he doesnt win a bullpen spot out of ST.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Right, at it's only a 2 year difference.

If this team can get a huge impact bat (like Myers) for trading either Dickey or Niese they'd be stupid not to do it.

I like Niese, he's a great pitcher... But he isn't irreplaceable. Myers probably will be.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
Would be A LOT more comfortable w/ MLB proven Lannan than unproven Mejia or Familia. Don't think either of those guys wil be MLB SP. And Lannan's a lefty.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
"If this team can get a huge impact bat (like Myers) for trading either Dickey or Niese they'd be stupid not to do it."

Yup.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • cjct

<Right, at it's only a 2 year difference.

If this team can get a huge impact bat (like Myers) for trading either Dickey or Niese they'd be stupid not to do it.

I like Niese, he's a great pitcher... But he isn't irreplaceable. Myers probably will be.>

BINGO!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • murphstates
I agree 100%. We are seriously over valuing our own players. Niese is a nice young pitcher, but in his break out season last year opponents batting average on balls in play dropped 60 points from his career norm. All his other peripherals were nearly identical. There is a very good chance he will have some regression going forward.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • brianinwi

Sign Lannan, sign Pelfrey and let 'em duke it out with whoever's left after any trades. Loser(s) gets sent to the bullpen, traded, or slotted in the rotation by midseason.

Should be able to piece together a good rotation and some long relief out of Santana, Lannan, Harvey, Pelfrey, Niese, Familia, Mejia, Wheeler and Gee (assuming Dickey is traded). Pick the best of the bunch, turn 'em loose and re-evaluate at midseason. Aside from Wheeler and Harvey, any out of that crew could become additional trade bait at the deadline. On the other hand, if they flop or get injured, you have some insurance waiting in the wings.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • metsheart
Good plan. Not sure about signing Pelfrey though. Depends for how much $$$/ yrs. If it's minor league contract HECK YEAH!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Pelf won't sign here, I suspect.

Plus, the team doesn't have enough money to sign both. Personally, I'd feel much better about Lannan.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/4/12
  • AdrianMonk

Okay, I'm convinced now. Make it so.

Would you have the nerve to trade both Dickey and Niese?

• Reply to this Message