• Welcome Guest
Pittsburgh Pirates

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Need 1B, only free agent Kendrys Morales makes sense!!
  • To:All
  • Feb-1
  • nschamp1976
I know the Pirates need another first baseman to start 2014 and according to my research he is the only viable option left in the free agent market. In 2012 had 22 HR, 73 RBI with the Angels and in 2013 he had 23 HR, 80 RBI with the Mariners. Numbers like that would be a significant upgrade to what the Bucs have now!! And he was only paid around % million last year so he also a bargain. GO BUCS!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-1
  • jramser44
But he wants money to play baseball, and every dollar spent on baseball players is a dollar subtracted from BOB's obscene fortune.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-1
  • WhatWouldMattyDo

the issues with kendrys seem to be 1 - cost the Pirates a draft pick. 2 - cost the pirates pool money. and 3- has played very little 1B the past few years, and in the past I believe has indicated he doesn't want to play 1B.

As for 1, I care but on balance I think that sometimes you have to give to get, and however ridiculous the system may be, it's the system. Given our draft pick is, I assume, in the mid or high 20s, I can live with it.

As for 2, I think I can live with that too if it's the right deal for Morales. If it's a one year deal, I'd be concerned - same with the draft pick I might add. But locking him in for 2, maybe 3 years would make a little less money to spend on draft picks palatable - at least to me.

As for 3, that's the wild card. I would guess that given the seeming lack of interest in him so far, he's probably more open to playing 1B. I don't know how he'd be though, but I don't recall that before his injury he was considered a sub-par 1B. Maybe just average, but I can live with that.

so on balance, if we can get him committed to 2 or 3 years at a reasonable (Neal speak: "Below Market Value") price, I'd go for it. I've always liked him.

• Reply to this Message
  • Feb-1
  • BuckeyeBucco
I agree.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-1
  • cbro
You know what's funny. Everyone is making a big deal about losing that pick(including NH.). I just went to baseball reference and looked at the drafts from 2002-2007 and looked at picks 20-30. Most years out of those picks you got 1-2 solid major leaguers. Only 2 stars out of those years(Ellsbury and Matt Cain) and the majority of those picks are out of baseball or stuck going nowhere in the minors. So Neal is afraid to lose that pick on a 20% chance he gets a major leaguer when he could just sign a proven major leaguer. I think Morales would give this offense a boost. He may be bad fielding, but so is Lambo. The org obviously felt he was not a 1B when they acquired him since they immediately moved him to the OF and had not let him play any 1B for 2 years. Only now in winter ball are they rushing him to get him ready, so how good defensively is he going to be?
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-2
  • UraGrouch
Say all you want but if they got the guy and he bombs the same people here
will be Neil Huntington doofus this, Neil Huntington doofus that, he wasted
a draft pick, why didn't he get so & so instead, yada yada yada.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-2
  • cbro
So you're cool with doing nothing to improve the team? Maybe Lambo comes out and mashes, but if he does not then what? Gaby Sanchez the last 2 years has hit .207/.204 vs RH with a pathetic .315 slg. I for one would not complain if NH was aggressive and made a move to give this team a better chance at winning a WS. The window of winning is the next 3 maybe 4 years so a mid 20s draft pick means nothing for the most part. The point is not just to win 82+ games, it's to beat the Cards, Dodgers, Nats, Braves etc... in the playoffs. Kendry is a proven MLB player and I think is a safe bet to hit .270+ with 20+ hrs. He has a great contact rate and a decent K/BB rate. He would fit in nicely at the 4 spot.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-2
  • UraGrouch
What are you talking about? I never said anything like that.
Get the guy then. I hope he mashes the ball and greatly helps the team.
That would be awesome. But if he doesn't I'm going to be reading the
same old BS here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-2
  • Beisbol2014

ArrrBuc,

I'd like them to acquire Smoak.

I think Morales just is not as good defensively. I also think he peaked. To me Smoak might have not peaked yet. He might have a better chance of NL pitching where by Morales may not improve as much.

I think Morales or Smoak will not be on the Mariners roster come opening day.

I'll also say that regardless Gaby Sanchez will see more time at first and possibly be a surprise.

With Morales Gaby might not get that chance.

I know it sounds awkward but I just don't think Morales will be as good in the NL. I think with no move Lambo/Sanchez will at least equal the Jones/Sanchez that did give us success in '13. Otherwise I see Lambo being most effective in RF.

With no Jones I say the outfield is a bigger hole than first baase.

• Reply to this Message
  • Feb-2
  • cbro
You must not be on this board much. Every thread is the same old B.S. ;)
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-2
  • UraGrouch
I'm here too much and I agree with you.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-2
  • CeciltheDiesel

Repeat after me: We are eternally comfortable with our internal options.

c

• Reply to this Message
  • Feb-3
  • WhatWouldMattyDo
great post in my view. You put it in perspective.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-3
  • gamcockfn
The only viable option to play 1B is a guy that cannot play first base. Good idea.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-3
  • gamcockfn

Even if that mattered, you are completely ignoring the impact of losing the bonus pool for that pick. But using a logic fallacy does not really prove anything. Just because something good did not happen in the past does not mean it will not in the future. And of course there are many factors that you ignored when coming to that flawed conclusion.

Morales will not give the team a boost as a pinch hitter. It is not a want issue, it is a can't. He cannot physically play 1b enough to play for an NL team.

Edited Feb-3   by  gamcockfn
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 68223.16 through 68223.17 were deleted
  • Feb-3
  • Beisbol2014

broBuc,

The Dodgers had James Loney at first base when Lambo was drafted in '07.

I'm not saying Loney blocked Lambo at the time however it is not so far fetched the over all organization will dictate part of the criteria as to where a new professional player might be best able to help the parent club.

Neil Walker IS a great example. We had Kendall, Doumit, Paulino and Cota in the pipeline or on the team. when he was drafted.

Say what you want to say. Walker was catching a former ML pitcher as a kid. His Uncle Chip was also a former catcher. His grandfather lived right across the street from me at the time. A very good fellow. The truth is a switch hitting catcher WAS the ticket. The fact that the Pirates drafted him #1 was unexpected. 25 other teams were birddogging the young fellow. His defense was superb!

From what I understood, and this was explained to me by someone who knew, There are old fellows on the PMB who might be able to pitch better than some of the kids in Rookie ball. Or at least get the ball over the plate. Imagine some big kid throwing a perfect 100 MPH strike to every 6'10'' batter ? The minor leagues are like that. Even at AAA by the end of June those pitchers who can consistently find the plate are playing MLB. Pitching is that rare of a commodity.

so here is an 18 year old Neil who CAN catch a ML fastball who suddenly has to learn to catch garbage. Well the Pirates were deep in catching any way so they converted Walker inot what they really needed at the time, a third baseman. This was pre-Alvarez. This was even pre-Andy LaLaLaRoche.

Neil did it. Neil did it all.

so i'm just saying Lambo was drafted a first baseman. Just like Jones. Maybe not a Gold Glove candidate but Lambo knows first base. It is NOT a position for just any old outfielder. However many veterans who are good ball players can and often do make the transition when the knees stop operating correctly. Stargell is a good example. He was awful at first..but...being the great ball player he was he led the NL in Fielding at first base late in his career.

So give Lambo the scoop. If he can hit I almost don't care if he is average.

Edited Feb-3   by  Beisbol2014
Edited Feb-3   by  Beisbol2014
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-3
  • WhatWouldMattyDo

Interesting conclusion - give Lambo the opportunity.

That might be the real crux of the debate at this point.

I still think a case could be made, though, for bringing in a 1B and giving Lambo the chance to man RF until The Anointed One makes his mid-season appearance.

Edited Feb-3   by  WhatWouldMattyDo
  • Reply to this Message
  • Feb-3
  • Beisbol2014

WWMDBuc,

Lambo's chances of being the RF is probably more attached to a possible platoon at first.

Polanco is like any other. You learn to play MLB by playing MLB. If he is the real deal, like Neil, he should be in the show.

I think what we have on opening day in 2014 will say a lot about how much the Pirates want to be a better team now and not remain the same or fall back. Maybe it is 20 years of losing but they FAIL if they do not at least make it to the World Series.

In 2013...they failed as far as I am concerned. It will take a Championship season to begin to wash that bad taste of all tjose years of defeat out of this guy's mouth!

BEAT 'EM BUCCOS

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
PMB Stargell Stars
Latest by notleaving - 4:38 PM
Pedro looks like he is going to have a huge year
Latest by d0ck - 4:37 PM
2014 PMB Star of the Game
Latest by 3pirates3 - 4:34 PM
What To Do On Good Friday's Afternoon
Latest by Darrow06 - 4:19 PM
Huntington's Record Update Thread