• Welcome Guest
Atlanta Braves

Welcome to the Atlanta Braves.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Is Hudson Hall of Fame Worthy?
  • To:All
  • 5/1/13
  • stvitusfx

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/35353/tim-hudson-building-hall-of-fame-case

No. Not even close. And he never will be...

I'm not even convinced that all three of Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz belong.

I'd like to see some folks removed from the Hall of Fame on the grounds that they just weren't nearly good enough to be considered one of the best ever.

• Reply to this Message
Message 166602.2 was deleted
  • 5/1/13
  • stvitusfx

Maddux should definitely be in - the other two I'm not sold on.

One of my points was that Hall of Fame has already become so watered down that it hardly means anything anymore - that's why I said we should be taking people out instead of adding more who don't deserve it.

Comparing current players to the ones that are already in and saying "Welllllll... this guy has similar stats to this one and HE is already in there..." that's WHY the Hall of Fame is already so worthless - so don't make the same pathetic argument for any current player.

• Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • yakuzafro
..how do you determine who is Hall worthy with no comparisons to other players...?
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 166602.5 through 166602.6 were deleted
  • 5/1/13
  • Norrtron
You have such a hard on about people not being worthy of the HOF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • cadpro_78
Well how long did it take Maddux and Glavine to get 200 wins? Then 300 wins? Tim Hudson has been playing since 1999. Maddux had a 22 year career. Glavine had a 21 year career. Tim Hudson so far has had a 13+ year career. If Tim plays another 7-10 years, he could make 300.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • Norrtron
Huddy is 38 I believe, that ain't going to happen.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • jeezus
Please take Maddux out of the conversation. He doesn't belong in any "debate" about HOF credentials. He's an outlier in reference to Smoltz and Glavine.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • Constanza4Evah

This was totally NOT what I expected when I opened this thread. I figured that it was going to be a homer thread caught up in the moment of Hudson's 200th victory.

In terms of him being HOF worthy or not, he's about as fringe as you can get. If he has a couple more good years, especially with the Braves, I think the he will eventually get inducted.

• Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • BraveKing

I have thought about this with Huddy recently but my general rule of thumb is that if you have to think about it at all the answer should be "no".

As for the other 3, they are slam dunk first ballot Hall Of Famers....I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they shouldn't be. He won't be, but Madd Dog should be the first unanimous HOFer.

• Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • PeteOrrIsGod
All three of Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz belong in the hall of fame. It's been said for a while that Hudson was on track/fringe hall of famer. I think the hall of fame looks at wins too closely as a marker of performance and I know Hudson has been screwed out of a number of wins in Atlanta over the years. He also had his injury setback. I wonder how much longer he will play and how well he will play when he continues to. He definitely needs more counting stats for the voters, but if he continues the numbers from this year and last year and does it for five more years, I don't think he will get in. I think the main thing that Hudson has that will help with the voters is his winning %. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/pitching/piwper1.shtml
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • BrandonM
One thing that I can not reasonably say about Tim Hudson is that he has been screwed out of wins in Atlanta. For the stats he has put up, he has a very comparable amount of wins.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • tomatoh

I don't think Koufax should have ever been in the HOF. He only dominated for 6 of his12 seasons, his first 6 seasons were very average.

Maddux is a lock on the first ballot and Glavine should make it eventually.

• Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • dmize

if Huddy plays another couple of good seasons with the Braves then I think he at least makes it on the ballots. if he were to quit baseball right now I don't know if he would get the votes to get to Cooperstown.

but to say that Glavine, Smoltz, or Maddux shouldn't be in the HOF is just nuts.....nuts I tellz yah

• Reply to this Message
Message 166602.17 was deleted
  • 5/1/13
  • OldTweetyRedux
Hey you're picking on my fav
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 5/1/13
  • PABraveFan

Let's add a caveat here. Is Roy Halladay HOF worthy? Iknow Doc has 2 CY Youngs but when you look at the stats Hudson has been more consistent.

Hudson/Halladay lifetime stats

IP 2717/2719
W 200/201
L 105/103
ERA 3.42/3.35
Avg Agnst .248/.253
WHIP 1.24/1.17

Edited 5/1/13   by  PABraveFan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/1/13
  • BraveKing
Absolutely.