• Welcome Guest
Detroit Tigers

Welcome to the Detroit Tigers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Miggy at WBC.
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • 123stkout

Cant wait to see him, in the 3rd edition of the world baseball classic. in pool that i can consider the group of death:

- Dominican republic
-Puerto Rico
-Venezuela
- Spain

Venezuela Rooster:

Pitchers :

-Henderson Álvarez
-Ronald Belisario
-Enrique González
-Félix Hernández
-César Jiménez
-José Mijares

*Francisco "Kid" Rodríguez
*Anibal Sánchez
*Carlos Zambrano.

Catchers:

-Miguel Montero
-Ramón Hernández
-Salvador Pérez

Infielders:

- Miguel Cabrera
- Pablo Sandoval
- Elvis Andrus
- Asdrubal Cabrera
- Marco Scutaro

Outfielders:

- Carlos González
- Martín Prado
- Gerardo Parra

there still 8 more spots left.

Whats your opinion so far about Luis Sojo ( manager ) selection at this time?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • CopaMedium
How come nobody named Smith or Jones is on that team?....lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • blksnshn

"Venezuela Rooster"

^ LOL

• Reply to this Message
Message 75556.4 was deleted
  • 1/19/13
  • ncm1859
Is cabby going to be playing first base?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • jd40mm
Dominican and Venezuela should be quite interesting in their pool - at least I think they are in the same pool.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • tyger01

I hate the WBC.....I pray to God that it isn't one of the Tigers that have a season ending injury.

You can't tell me these guys are in tip top baseball shape in March. A pitchers, arm, shoulder, back injury....a hitters olique, hamstring, back injury will happen. You know it, and I know it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • jd40mm
Can't argue with you about the risks, they are definitely there. But that bird has flown, the WBC will be played, and some darn good MLB players will be in it. Let's just hope it all comes out OK with our guys.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • zero 00

Playing in the World Baseball Classic actually reduces the chance of injury, looking at 2009 and 2006. And many older veterans (Jeter, '09) had career years afterwards.

They start to work out earlier, they play in more competitive games through March, it has nothing but positive benefits on the players participating.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • tyger01
zero....There isn't much I disagree with you on, but I have to on this issue.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • zero 00
I think fangraphs just posted an article recently looking at injuries during the tournament, look it up. There was very few.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • TiggerBounce

<<<They start to work out earlier>>>

For what it's worth, Miguel, Jhonny, and Alex were in South Florida working out together during the winter.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove12/story/_/id/8723468/diamondbacks-dodgers-tigers-teams-unfinished-winter-meetings-business

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • tyger01

<Although the Tigers have expressed a desire to get more athletic in the field, they say they're OK with the range-impaired Jhonny Peralta at shortstop. Peralta is in South Florida working out with Miguel Cabrera and Alex Avila, looking to rebound after his OPS dipped from .824 in 2011 to .689 last season.>

There is a big diference between working out with 2 players, vs working out with the team. Although it doesn't say it, I'd be willing to wager that "working out" in this case, is lifting weights and hitting in the batting cage. I doubt they were seeing much live pitching.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • jd40mm
I suppose you could be right as far as pulled muscles and other injuries which occur due to lack of conditioning. In terms of just freak incidents, such as turned ankles, etc. could be a risk just due to participating in live game action. All in all, I doubt there will be a whole lot of serious injuries sustained in the WBC.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • zero 00

Well all players work out during the winter and hit and condition (or at least the ones who care about their job lol), but preparing for games is a little different. I mean work out as seriously starting to train and get into game shape.

The risk of turning an ankle or any other injury is just as high as playing a normal spring training game. I think the players are playing just as much (or less) than they would in ST also.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • a2dave

"Well all players work out during the winter and hit and condition (or at least the ones who care about their job lol)"

I think a lot of people forget that. This isn't the 50s where these guys have other jobs in the off season. Baseball is their job, and as you said, the ones who are dedicated to it are going to stay in condition year round. For the most part, the days of guys needing to have spring training in order to get back in to playing shape is long gone. That's why you hear a lot of players saying spring training is too long now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • tyger01
There is a HUGE diference between showing up for the WBC in shape, vs baseball shape. I you ever played the game, you know what I mean.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • TiggerBounce

"baseball shape"

What does that mean?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • a2dave
While that's true, these guys play 150 games a year. If they're in good physical condition, it wouldn't take them very long to get back in to game shape, as well.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
GDT 4/18/2014 Smyly's First Start
Latest by Tigrrman - 10:09 PM
2014 season as I see it
Latest by ToledoFan - 10:09 PM
Datsyuk Scores!!!!
Latest by tballer41 - 10:08 PM
The 2014 Tiger Hero/Goat of the Day Thread
Latest by baseislife - 9:54 PM
WINGS
Latest by tballer41 - 9:54 PM