Welcome to the Detroit Tigers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Morse to Seattle in 3 team trade
  • To:All
  • 1/16/13
  • smacman101

Mariners | Mike Morse acquired in three-team trade
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:55:20 -0800

The Seattle Mariners acquired OF Mike Morse from the Washington Nationals Wednesday, Jan. 16, in a trade that also involved the Oakland Athletics. P A.J. Cole was sent from Oakland to Washington, and the A's received C John Jaso to complete the deal. Cole was involved in the trade last year that sent SP Gio Gonzalez to the Nats.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/mlb#ixzz2IBcorp56

• Reply to this Message
Message 75546.2 was deleted
  • 1/16/13
  • baseislife

Went with LaRoche at 1B
Harper, Span & Werth in the OF.

Interesting they wanted Cole back. More of a money dump than anything. Morse makes 6+ this year, FA next (and the loss of him, or the Pick if they offer him a year)

I'd have thought they'd get more, unless saving the loot is all they really wanted.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • ToledoFan

Interesting. I was secretly hoping we might get him but the price of Cole would almost equate to giving up Porcello. Porcello probably has more value than Cole. Surprised the A's only got Jaso.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • smacman101
for sure, id say the m's may have won that trade...m's might show some offense next year now..morse, morales, montero...the triple m's.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • tyger01

<morse, morales, montero...the triple m's.>

That is three very nice additions...The M&M&M's is a solid start to a rebound season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • smacman101
The small s on the end of M&M&M's, is Smoaks potential he use to have.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • ToledoFan

Not to mention anything they get from Ackley.

And they STILL have more young pitching to build around.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/16/13
  • ALbundy
OK what am I missing here. Seattle trades away a back up catcher for a pretty solid power hitting 1B/OF (Morse) who is cheap???????? Let's over pay Tori Hunter whose 100 years old. Look I know the defense is better for Hunter, and I know Morse has been hurt, but Morse is exactly what this team was missing last year. A RH power hitting OF'r. Maybe Morse is horrible in the OF. Only way to justify not trading for him, and I still don't buy Hunter is better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • tigsfanboi

That "back up catcher" was the best hitter on the Mariners last year. He hit .276/.394/.456.

This was a win for the A's and a loss for the M's unless they really think Zunino is already ready.]

Morse is vastly overrated and can't adequately play the outfield.

Edited 1/16/13   by  tigsfanboi
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • baseislife

<winning>

If Washington added by saving money to keep the boys all together for a three year run, then it would remain to be seen who won. And how many rings the Nats might collect.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • smacman101
The nats are super stacked, that for 1, is a fact. glad they are not in the central.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • baseislife

wouldn't have traded him to us any way. Might not have wanted to face him in a World Series.

Sending to the M's, where they have to fight thru Texas and LA means they never have to.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • baseislife
And yes, I share your fear of Hunter
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • baseislife
And peeps laughed at me when I said JW would win a WS before the Tigers, when the Nats signed him away from the Phillies. They shoulda had it last year, if not for a Storen multi-run blow up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • ericg75

<<Morse is vastly overrated and can't adequately play the outfield.>>

My guess is that he primarily splits time between 1B and DH with Kendrys Morales. Jesus Montero didn't hit near well enough to be a full time DH last year, so they'll probably make him their primary catcher.

Jaso kind of got a raw deal with the M's last year. He was far and away the best catcher they had on the team (at least offensively), and I remember early in the year, Wedge kept benching him in favor of Olivo, who was hitting at Don Kelly levels.

I don't know if Morse will ever replicate the success he had in 2011, but the M's only gave up a player they didn't seem to care about anyway.

I think this deal kind of works out for all. M's get a power bat, A's get an upgrade at catcher, and Nats get a prospect.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 75546.17 through 75546.19 were deleted
Recent Discussions
So, dem Red Wings.
Latest by dtownies - 2:34 AM
Kinsler vs Fielder
Latest by curtis789 - 2:34 AM
Call Hanrahan NOW!!!
Latest by dtownies - 2:01 AM
Coke DFA'd
Latest by OrdealByFire - 1:47 AM
For those who are way better