• Welcome Guest
Detroit Tigers

Welcome to the Detroit Tigers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• kelly returns
  • To:All
  • 1/16/13
  • bongoman
yes baseball fans and freaks alike. don kelly will again grace the tigers with his presence. leyland gets his wish as don kelly signs a minor league deal. soon he will be batting clean up again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • TiggerBounce
I like Don. :)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • CopaMedium

A minor league deal does not mean his grace will be present with the parent club.

But I do look forward to watching Don on MiLBTV.com/ToledoMudhens telecasts. Hopefully see Raburn, Boesch, Holaday and Berry too.

Edited 1/16/13   by  CopaMedium
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • bongoman

<<<A minor league deal does not mean his grace will be present with the parent club>>>

really????????

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • CopaMedium
Really!
That would require either a two-way contract or major league contract.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • six-hopper
I'm sure he'll be a Tiger. He's versatile, you know.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • CopaMedium
We must have outbid the other 29 clubs for Don's services.
Good job securing him Mr. Avila
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • TigerToe
he a valuable(?) role player, and he has postseason experience!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • CopaMedium

Real valuable.
Don is the only player in major league history to have one at-bat in the 2012 post-season and score two runs.

<http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28730/don-kelly>

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • tigerclaws
He's a Seattle Mariner killer. 3 for 8 and .375 avg.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • TiggerBounce

It all becomes clearer by the minute. We play seven games against the Mariners, the first three are in April.

Call Kelly NOW!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • tigerclaws
LOL.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • bongoman
i would guess that chances are good that we will see kelly again. leyland just loves the guy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • TiggerBounce

Hey, what's not to love? He's the consummate utility man. He has played every position on the field, including pitcher. Okay, so he can't hit his way out of a paper bag. But name me one other player who had one plate appearance in an ALDS game who scored a run himself, batted in another, and had an RBI, all with a batting average of zero.

Call Kelly NOW! :p

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • Waygur
could Clete Thomas be far behind?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • Mr Wert

Anybody notice that Will Rhymes signed a minor league deal with the Nats.

What does a minor league deal pay? Anybody know? Is there a minor league minimum? If you think about it a guy like Don Kelly or Will Rhymes can eek out some sort of subsistance playing professional baseball for say $75 -100,000 per year. Might they be getting that much?

I know ML minimum is something around $400,000 per year. You gotta figure that to marginal guys like Kelly and Rhymes getting paid $5-10,000 per month with a chance to be called up and bumping your monthly take to $30,000 is worth hanging in there for. Eventually it ends. Some guys never get that cup of coffee.

I'm not saying they're legitimate ML'ers, but as insurance guys stashed in an organization's minor leagues there is something to play for. I give 'em credit for their effort to keep trying. Good for them.

I'd think Raburn is dying to get one of these deals. I gotta believe he'll get one. These guys are not good major league baseball players, but they are good baseball players compared to all the guys who wanted to get paid to play. They can play....they all made the majors which 98% of the other guys who signed pro contracts can't say they did.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • Tigrrman

I have always loved baseball, ..and was a good player in my neighborhood. However, I wasn't good enough for anything above the neighborhood sandlots.

If I were younger today ..and could play well enough to obtain a minor league contract ..I'd sign without any hesitation.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • CopaMedium

That decision gets tougher every year after the age of 25. That's when contracts stop getting renewed and agents take longer to find you a new team.

Then comes hanging up your last pair of cleats on a garage wall nail.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • tyger01

<leyland gets his wish as don kelly signs a minor league deal. soon he will be batting clean up again.>

You took the words right out of my mouth. Now if Smoke Stack can talk DD into signing Ryan Raburn, you won't be able to get rid of his chub the entire spring.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • Matthew25_40

It could be worse.

A least we didn't give Inge any contract.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Baseball fans by zip code
Latest by scarolina - 4:08 AM
The Return of Jim Leyland
Latest by Paubranco - 3:07 AM
Your Favorite Non Tiger Players (Current)
Latest by OrdealByFire - 2:00 AM
OT - Are Safari Adventures a thing of the Past
Latest by mrpeepers - 1:16 AM
through 4 starts
Latest by papalawrence - 1:12 AM
Red Wings (Game 4)
Latest by OrdealByFire - 12:24 AM
Call Hanrahan NOW!!!
Latest by TiggerBounce - 12:03 AM
Positive/Negative thoughts
Latest by bondlander05 - Apr-24
non related Tiger info