• Welcome Guest
Detroit Tigers

Welcome to the Detroit Tigers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Why won't we get Scott Hariston?
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • ToledoFan

"3:18pm: The Mets balked when Hairston asked for $8MM over two years, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). The Yankees aren't involved, but the outfielder still seems upbeat, Heyman adds."

Okay, I realize he is probably looking for a full time position, and he might not have any interest in being a platoon player, but...

For $4M a year for only 2 years?
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/hairston-expected-to-choose-team-this-week.html

Sign me up.

HE would be the PERFECT RH compliment to Dirks.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • ericg75
I think he initially preferred to stay in NY, and figured either the Mets would have him back, or the Yankees would be interested given their lack of RH hitting. Who knows? The Tigers could very well be back in play now that NY has lost interest.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 75531.3 was deleted
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • granderguy
He's coming off his best season and I think he wants more assured playing time than the wrong side of a platoon.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • ToledoFan

The thing is, he could get a decent amount of playing time here, between the days with a lefty on the mound and the ample times Leyland will rest Hunter. He probably could get upward of 100 games in and be on a sure contender, compared to the Cubs or Mets.

I know the Yanks are in the mix but you figure they probably have about as much playing time to.offer as we do.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • smacman101
didnt we offer him a deal very early this offseason and he turned it down because he wanted to play everyday? i swear i read that somewhere
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • ToledoFan
Dombrowski came out shortly after that and said they have not extended any multi year offers to outfielders, with the exception of Hunter of course.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • tyger01
You just answered your original question Froggie.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • ToledoFan

That was then.

If he can be had for a mere 4 million... we should be back in this, if it were up to me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • CopaMedium

It's more about playing time right now and promises attached to the bargaining table.
It kinda' reminds me of the promises made to then-FA Fielder about playing 1B-only, for all the games scheduled.

I'm not saying Hairston wants to play everyday. I'm just saying there's more to contract negotiations than just hammering out the dollars and years.

Edited 1/15/13   by  CopaMedium
  • Reply to this Message