• Welcome Guest
Detroit Tigers

Welcome to the Detroit Tigers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Justin Upton
Message 75521.1 was deleted
  • 1/14/13
  • mcbcon

With Upton it would be an interesting outfield.

Having Dirks as the #4 outfielder and Berry as base runner puts a new light on the outfield.

Upton, Jackson, Hunter, Dirks with Berry in the background.

Garcia will definitely be back in he Minors or traded.

Then there is Boesch.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • bobrob2004
With Dirks as a #4 OF, there's no reason to have Berry. Heck, there's no reason to have Berry now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • mcbcon

I like the idea of Berry on base when needed. He seems to be able to make the defense move a bit more then any of the other Tigers.

I know the speed of the other Berry might be over kill. But, I like the team having speed everywhere.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • bobrob2004
I don't want Herb Washington 2.0. At least with Kobernus, we'd have speed + good defense + versatility (once he learns the OF).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • zero 00

One report about the Diamondbacks being interested in Porcello (like 15 other teams) and you wouldn't be suprised of them trading Upton to us for him? Let's try not to jump the gun a bit. You already speculate every other available player in the league coming to us via trade.

And if that scenario every happened, playing RF would be no issue. If you can play CF (and as well as Torii did) you can play either Outfield spot, as Hunter has shown by being one of the better RF's last year. Upton could play LF if you really wanted him to. Hunter would surely move over to bring in a talented player like Upton.

Personally I don't care much for Upton, he's just an average hitter away from Chase Field and always has been. Take away his games in that hitters park and there's nothing that special. And considering what they got from Seattle in that offer, we would be emptying out the farm system for a guy who has maturity issues and can't hit away from Chase Field.

I'm all for going all out to win a world series, but it has to be calculated and thought out risks. With Upton, you are giving up too much to MAYBE get an all star player. The chances of him being happy, hitting great not just at Chase but in Comerica, and fulfilling his potential are very small and not worth the risk of our best prospects, which is exactly what it would take.

Any type of package with Porcello/Castellanos/etc should get you a player you know will contribute at a high level. A consistent performer. Upton is far from that, but Arizona values him as a franchise player and are demanding that type of package for him. It make sense that a team like Seattle would overpay, because they are desperately looking for a player to build around.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • TiggerBounce

You're right. Probably a moot point. A few hours later the rumor was updated:
6:16pm: The Diamondbacks are unlikely to acquire Porcello, according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/diamondbacks-interested-in-rick-porcello.html

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • CopaMedium
Castellanos is not going anywhere this off-season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • wurmie

I still see the need for another lefty bat, thus my post in the DBacks/Porcello thread suggesting a grandiose deal of 15 players but to simplify things it was:

Upton to Colorado
CarGo and Tulo to Detroit
Nick C and a boatload of players to the DBacks
A boatload of players to the Rockies

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • tyger01

<Castellanos is not going anywhere this off-season.>

Amen Bro. I'm the biggest Castellanos fan on this message board.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • tyger01

Why do the Arizona Diamondbacks want to trade Justin Upton anyway?

Some Detroit Tigers fans openly asked the question that's been posed by many others Monday, after FoxSports.com's Jon Morosi reported Detroit and Arizona had engaged in talks involving pitcher Rick Porcello.

Morosi didn't indicate whether Upton — who invoked his no-trade clause to block a deal to Seattle last week — was part of the discussions.

But should the Tigers pursue a trade for an outfielder who appears to have worn out his welcome in Arizona?

"I think he's trouble, a headache waiting to happen. He has all the physical tools, but, unfortunately, does NOT know how to play the game. Much like DYoung, he has no plate discipline. And, he's been a headache to Gibson/Trammell in AZ. If he cannot get along with those two, I don't see him getting along with Leyland … " — Galloping Greg

"Forget Upton … Don't need a headcase in the OF whose performance is too up and down. SS is where the Tigers have the most need. If they trade Porcello, then they better get a young, slick-fielding SS who can hit and has some speed back in the deal." — enrapport26

Upton, 25, is a career .278 hitter who has at least 17 home runs in each of the past four seasons. In 2011, he hit .289 with 31 homers and 88 RBI.

He's signed through the 2015 season, scheduled to make $9.75 million in 2013 and more than $14 million the following two years.

If the Tigers were going to make a play for Upton, the package undoubtedly would have to include more than Porcello. Trading away a young outfielder such as Avisail Garcia or Nick Castellanos give fans some pause, too.

"For 2 years now we've been hearing the Tiger front office & scouts rave about the 'can't miss' potential of Castellanos & Garcia, now you want to trade away your top prospects for a guy of questionable character? Give me a break! … Upton is no panacea. One man isn't going to get the Tigers a WS title." — dopacu unplugged

Nick Piercoro, who covers the Diamondbacks for the Arizona Republic, tweeted Monday that any deal involving the Tigers and Porcello was "very unlikely."

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • bongoman

<<<At least with Kobernus, we'd have speed + good defense + versatility (once he learns the OF).>>>

i agree that berry has no place on the tigers now that they kobernus. i disagree that kobernus should learn to play the OF? what's the point? to platoon him with dirks where a lefty is on the mound?

infante plays very good OF D. when the tigers spell dirks, infante can move to LF and kobernus play 2nd base.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • bobrob2004
What about next year? When Infante leaves via Free Agency? Whoever we get to play 2B probably won't have experience in the OF. Then we'll be stuck. The sooner Kobernus learns how to play the OF, the better his chances of sticking on a Major League roster.

I'm not much in favor of moving a regular to a different position for defense purposes. Is Cabrera our back-up 1B? Is Peralta our back-up 3B?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • bongoman
worry about next year, next year. and the tinker man will be unhappy if he has only one position to mess around with. he may be forced to try to resign raburn and kelly.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • tyger01

According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, the Cubs have cut off talks with the Diamondbacks about acquiring superstar outfielder Justin Upton.
The two teams have had discussions in recent days about the feasibility of a match. According to sources the D'Backs had asked for Starlin Castro in return, but the Cubs were unwilling to part with the young shortstop. Look for the D'Backs to continue looking for suitors, as Upton is all but certain to be dealt before spring training begins.

Savethepen thought there was no way that DD should trade Porcello for Castro, because pitching is a premium, and he didn't wanna just give Porcello away.

I know, maybe we could trade Upton for Porcello then. LOL

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • tyger01
I meant Porcello for Upton...I'm sure someone would jump all over me for that tiny little typo.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 75521.17 was deleted
  • 1/19/13
  • tyger01
I agree Ordeal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • tyger01
The D-Backs must think Theo is as stupid as savethepen does.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • six-hopper
That's four outfielders who can hit and play good defense, and one who can run but can't hit or play decent D. Somehow I'm having trouble seeing the point of the fifth guy.
  • Reply to this Message