• Welcome Guest
Detroit Tigers

Welcome to the Detroit Tigers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Closer by committee?
  • To:All
  • 1/14/13
  • savethepen
I don't see anyone in the pen who can be our everyday closer. I see the price for closers like Soriano dropping, but is he cheap enough for the Tigers? The only one on the staff who could close is Scherzer, in that case they would need to keep Porcello.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • jd40mm
No way they are going to waste Scherzer's workhouse talent in a closer's role.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • savethepen
Hopefully it doesn't come down to that decision.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • jd40mm
Rest assured, it won't. They will try all the pen arms they have, or sign someone else before you see Max Scherzer in a closer's role. He is a 200 inning, 200 strikeout guy. A horse.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • kuhby13

<The only one on the staff who could close is Scherzer, in that case they would need to keep Porcello.>

LOL..Golden keyboard material.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • savethepen
They will have Sanchez for a full season and remember Scherzer had a dead arm last year with 186 innings.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • savethepen
Who on the staff could close? Put it on the the rookie?

Edited 1/14/13   by  savethepen
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • jd40mm
I understand why you say he could close, he is a power guy who strikes out a lot of hitters. But you don't take an upper tier front line starter and hide him at closer. I know they shut him down for a short bit before the playoffs, but he bounced back well. He will not be closing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • savethepen
Who would be your closer in the pen?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • jd40mm
Like many others on this board, I tend to like the idea of situational closer rather than the auto pilot "this guy pitches the ninth" no matter what mentality. But, if they must go with one guy, I would lean to Al BBQ. Strikeout guy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • savethepen
They tried him in that capacity last year, he wasn't ready. They tried Dotel and Benoit, and both were train wrecks. Fans wanted to give Coke the first ticket out of town.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • jd40mm
Well, like I say, I favor playing matchups for closing. But they could still make a move. Regardless, you won't see Scherzer closing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • TiggerBounce

<<<They tried him in that capacity last year, he wasn't ready>>>

Al? They never tried him in the ninth last year.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=albural01&t=p&year=2012#pitching_gamelogs::none

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • tigerclaws
Closers are kind of like goalies in hockey. They can have a bad year and then recover and surprise you the next year. Coke, Benoit, Al-B-Que, etc. all are relievers. Coke pitched in the big apple (the bronx zoo) and has experience under pressure, Benoit can be lights out at times, Al Al-B-Que has a live arm. We went to the World Series and look good compared to a lot of teams. We can be more patient than most teams. Time is on the side of DD in finding a closer compared to teams that didn't even make the playoffs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • tigerclaws
Signing a closer that makes us give up a first round draft pick is our ace in the hole and I hope we don't use it unless we have to.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • savethepen
Al was tried in a couple pressure situations at the end of last season and flopped in 13 innings allowing 8 walks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • bobrob2004
Scherzer has made at least 30 starts every year since 2009. What makes you want to make him be a closer? Is it based on his talent? Then why not make Verlander the closer?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • bobrob2004
I don't think they ever classified Scherzer's injury as a "dead arm." And he was perfectly healthy in the playoffs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • savethepen
We've already seen that this closer by committee did not work last year, so what would change? I remember Dotel couldn't even throw the ball to the catcher.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • kuhby13

<Then why not make Verlander the closer?>

I think Verlander is his 2nd choice.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
GDT 4/16: Home Sweet Home
Latest by baseislife - 8:46 PM
But he calls a great game.
Latest by bondlander05 - 8:43 PM
Not a Fan