• Welcome Guest
Detroit Tigers

Welcome to the Detroit Tigers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Once and for all is Dirks a full time player?
  • To:All
  • 1/14/13
  • marlboro42
I agree with snow the back and forth about Dirks has gotten old. You guys know his numbers so I will not bother with the stats. Is he in your opinion an every day player or not?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • baseislife

Not I

Not enough experience, I do not believe that Dirks getting 140 games will bring the offensive results from LF we'd like to see.

If it happens, it may work out. One thing is, I believe he is a better fielder than most gave credit for. So there is that going for him, if he gets the full time gig.

A year ago most thought Boesch better than Dirks. I was not one of them. That does not mean that I think Dirks is the be all. I do think most any RH'ed hitter will give a more desired result, if platooned with Dirks.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • zero1alpha
If he can stay healthy, we should find out this year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • bongoman
yes!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • Mr Wert

I'm still not giving up on Boesch but I can't argue that Dirks has a sparkplugginess to him that I like. He is a better outfielder. I think he can hit for decent average, but not a lot of power for a corner outfielder. So the question will be, as a LH'd hitter how does Boesch make this squad if Dirks is a full time outfielder.

I tend to think that Dirks facing LH'ers is probably as good as Berry or Garcia facing them. I don't want to waste Garcia as a platoon player this early in his career.

I think getting 450 gaems out of Dirks, Jackson and Hunter will not leave a lot of need for that 4th outfielder.

All this chatter about Porcello going someplace suggests that maybe tacking Boesch on might result in getting something pretty decent back in the form of a good RH'd corner outfielder, or a couple good AAA prospects....maybe another OF'er and a pitcher.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • CopaMedium

Maybe a 400 at-bats player. Andy has no history of delivering two years in a row yet. So the jury is still out.

So the answer to your question is... 'Nobody knows yet" Dombrowski does not appear to be shopping for an everyday outfielder. But he does appears to be waiting until the end of spring training to decide if one guy plays LF, or platooning will exist.

So don't look for this to be decided for another two months at-least.

Edited 1/14/13   by  CopaMedium
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • baseislife

<boesch>
In my opinion, the best they can do with him is leave him in TOL all year. Hope he hits 29 HRs + then deal him for whatever ya can get next off season. Or if he is really having a good year down there, maybe what ya need at the deadline.

IMO, he should never play @ Comerica again, unless it is for another team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • CopaMedium

All depends on what Boesch does differently at the plate in spring training. What disturbs me is the Tigers probably wanted Brennan to play either Fall or Winter Ball in the off-season.

I have a hunch Boesch refused the recommendation, but is working-out heavily this winter with a tutor or two.

Even he may finally realize that he must do something to adjust his swing and command more plate patience.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/14/13
  • Waygur

I agree almost completely with Mr. Wert. This is still an OF roster with many questions and possibilities. I think Boesch should get one more long look before they move on.

My concern about Dirks is size. Not a classic corner guy with threatening power. I like him a lot and feel a strong degree of confidence in his ability to contribute to any game, but not in any kind of sustained or prolific way.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • six-hopper
Dirks will turn 27 next week, and is at a point at which a lot of players start to show a significant increase in power. I don't think he's ever going to be a really big power guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes something like a 20-25 home run guy if he plays full-time.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • Mr Wert

Thanks, Way...but I have to say, as one of Boesch's biggest boosters, I am quite sanguine about his future.

Leyland repeatedly has mentioned that Boesch did not like it when Leyland suggested he "relax" more. I don't think Boesch has bought into the Leyland style. He's a California kid who always enjoyed "Big Man on Campus" status as a teenager and college player. I think he's got a bit of a testosterone saturated ego and that's why he has so poorly adapted to the way ML pitchers started pitching to him. He just kept hacking. It became pretty clear to many of us how easy he was to get out.

Now Andy Dirks has surpassed him. I think he should have swallowed a little pride, listened to the guys who pay his salary and done whatever they thought was best for him and the team. Maybe he did. I doubt we'll ever know. I think he has a ton more talent that he's only shown flashes of having.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • snow1knows

What's frustrating about Boesch is that he has shown signs of being able to stay back on those down and out pitches and serve them over 3rd base, but the inner discipline to consistently be aware of that pitch has been missing.

It takes a certain amount of concentration that Boesch just might not have.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • Mr Wert

I'm not so sure it's not enough concentration. I think it's too much on the only thing he's ever done to get by. I don't think he's adapted at all to the ML game.

I think it's a definite lack of discipline.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • six-hopper

As I've said before, we see Boesch very differently. He isn't a young prospect with a lot of room to develop -- he'll turn 28 when the season starts. Definitely time to put up or shut up.

His first three years in the minors, he didn't look like much. Then he had a very nice 2009, his season in AA. But he was also 24 years old, and playing against a lot of guys who were quite a bit younger than he was.

Since then, he's had three years in the Bigs. One mediocre, one pretty good, one awful.

That is not the resume of a likely star, but rather that of a guy who is likely to be a failure or at best a marginal Major Leaguer. Players with that kind of a track record have blossomed into serious Major League players, but that sort of late-blooming doesn't happen very often, and it's not the way to bet.

Edited 1/14/13   by  six-hopper
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • Mr Wert

Sadly, you're probably more right than not. I don't think his success was luck. I think it was definite talent. But, the talent he was facing was good too and their job was to figure him out...and they did. I think Leyland et al tried to point that out to him and his response was to fight it.

He does not have the upside that I many others thought, anymore.

I don't think he's done. I think he might be able to fix it, but I think it's more about attitude and approach than purely lack of talent. There's a lot a guys with less ability than him hanging around and having pretty lucrative careers.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • marlboro42
Responding to you from your comment in the other thread. Yes I see no reason that he has not earned the chance to start in left near everyday. Honestly early on I did not care much for Dirks but as he continued to play well I realized from watching him over time that there could be more there and his numbers support that so far. It seems as long as he does at least average in spring he should get the nod for opening day in left. Least that is how I see it as of now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • marlboro42
There is something to be said in your last sentence. Guys that are bordeline or average at best major league players survive not on talent alone but attitude and instinct. They realize what are there strong points and focus on those and try to get as much out of themselves as possible. They focus and work hard...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • Tigrrman

Count me in as one of those who do not want Boesch on the Tiger roster. Boesch's 2nd half of 2010 was terrible ..as bad as his 2012 season. During the 2nd half of 2009, ..how many times did the opposing manager Intentionally Walk Cabrera to get to Boesch ..including several times putting the go-ahead run on base just to watch Boesch strike out?

Boesch is already into his 'prime' ..and seems to be going backward instead of forward. Success (limited) has gone to his head and he probably 'thinks' he is a superstar hitter. Whatever his problem, I seriously doubt Boesch has the discipline to adapt at the major league level.

Last year was the last straw for me. Perhaps Boesch will surprise in a positive way ..but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'd rather see Boesch get traded in the hopes that a change of scenary just might be what he needs to turn it around and remain in the major leagues. I do hope the best for him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • tigerclaws
Starting in left is Dirk's job to lose. I would have him penciled in. If he falters I'd erase him and put the next one in line there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • marlboro42
Very true it is his to lose indeed. I am sure he knows this and doubt he will choke under pressure. Seems pretty level headed to me. I think he will welcome the chance...
  • Reply to this Message