Detroit Tigers

Welcome to the Detroit Tigers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Tigers, Cubs and Orioles Discussing 3- Way Deal
  • To:All
  • 1/8/13
  • RoccoBuruffi

By Zach Links [January 8 at 2:35pm CST]
The Tigers and Cubs are discussing a potential three-way trade that would send Rick Porcello to Chicago with the Orioles as the third party, according to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com. The Tigers want Baltimore involved because they want shortstop J.J. Hardy and they don't feel that the Cubs have the necessary components to make it a two-team trade.

For the O's to part ways with Hardy in a deal, the Cubs would have to send pitching to the Orioles. However, Kubatko thinks that the O's will have to be overwhelmed by an offer in order to part with Hardy. Dan Duquette & Co. are happy with the left side of their infield and they don't intend on moving Manny Machado to shortstop this year.

The Orioles are also one of the teams that are interested in Porcello and it's logical to think that they could just hammer out a two-team swap with the Tigers instead. The Padres, Mariners, and Pirates have also expressed interest in the right-hander recently. The 24-year-old posted a 4.59 ERA with 5.5 K/9, 2.2 BB/9 and a 53.2% ground ball rate last season and is under team control through 2015.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#3zJomDAcjhz8O4lT.99

Edited 1/8/13   by  RoccoBuruffi
Edited 1/8/13   by  RoccoBuruffi
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ToledoFan

Interesting.

Wonder if we could also snag a RH outfielder or a LH reliever in the deal as well?

We would have to to make this deal worth if for us if we give up Porcello and Peralta, IMO.

IMO, Hardy = Peralta offensively, but a better glove.

Edited 1/8/13   by  ToledoFan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • RoccoBuruffi
Getting Hardy certainly makes Peralta available. Could expand the deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ToledoFan

Wonder if the Tigers might include Garcia in the deal and get Soriano from the cubs as well and then send the balance of extra prospects to Baltimore for Hardy and a LH reliver.

All 3 problems solved at once.

Win now for sure.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ericg75

The best thing about this article is:

"they don't feel that the Cubs have the necessary components to make it a two-team trade."

From which I infer that if we do trade Porcello, it won't just be for scraps (as others have suggested we'd be lucky to get for him).

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ericg75
O's fans in the comments certainly are delusional about the value of Hardy. I like the one guy who suggests the Cubs would have to part with Matt Garza and Darwin Barney to get J.J. Hardy. LOL.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ToledoFan

Like I said. A lot of people over rate JJ Hardy.

He had one good year with the bat but other than that he is a low OBP good defensive SS with a gold glove on his resume.

Essentially, we are getting Peralta with more range.

I would say that is almost worth Porcello straight up. Peralta should be able to net us a platoon OF and a loogy.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • RoccoBuruffi
Hardy would definitely improve the left side defensively.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ToledoFan

Yes he would.

Never said he wouldn't.

I'm saying that giving up Peralta and Porcello for JUST Hardy would be a terrible trade.

If we give up those two to get a significant defensive upgrade at SS, we better fill at least 1 other hole, preferably both.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ToledoFan
Either way, its going to be an interesting couple of weeks as this shakes out.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ericg75

One Cubs fan posted this, which I don't think is bad:

Cubs get Porcello and one of Matuez/Arrettia/Britton
O's get Soriano(and all but 10 mil of his contract), one of Travis wood/Russian/Raily, and a player from the tigers
Tigers get J.J. Hardey and Marmol or D.Dejesus, Cubs eat some of which ones salary

If we gave up Porcello and someone else and got Hardy and Marmol, I'd be down with that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • TigersFanATL
Not bad......but I don't think trading Porcello and a prospect will cut it though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ericg75
I guess it could be Peralta. If the O's slide Machado to SS, they'd need a 3B. I really don't know what else the Orioles needs are.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • TigersFanATL
That's what I am thinking right now is that Peralta would be traded in this deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ToledoFan
I like that deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ericg75
I think I'd almost want more if Peralta was in the deal. Another prospect or something. Porcello/Peralta is a lot. Those are two guys that have had some decent success at the big league level.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • ToledoFan
A big thing working against Peralta is controlability. He's a FA after this year. And he's not that valuable to the cubs right now. even the O's would only have one year to contend with him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • lostigres
This rumor raises the value of Porcello, since other teams like Pittsburgh and San Diego have expressed interest in him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • granderguy

Tigers out: Porcello, Peralta, other random junk
Tigers get: JJ Hardy and Darwin Barney

New DP combo makes the Tigers extremely strong defensively up the middle. Infante shifts into a super utility/Dirks platoon partner role.

We get a massive defensive upgrade and a super utility guy in one swoop.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • tigerjohn

<<<<< get Soriano from the cubs as well >>>>>

NO NO NO NO NO.......

• Reply to this Message