• Welcome Guest
Pittsburgh Pirates

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Give the Giants a call?
  • To:All
  • 4/15/12
  • goober21
With Brian Wilson probably done for the year and the Giants in it to win it, maybe offer up Hanrahan straight up for Brandon Belt who Bochy has stuck on the bench for the past week?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/15/12
  • booji
The Hague experiment over and done with after 8 games?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/15/12
  • psuone
everything is an experiment with this team
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/15/12
  • goober21
Considering Hague is an Indianapolis Indian, I guess so.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/16/12
  • fla pirate
I would think we could get more but I would like this outcome more than any more suspects from San Fran. They should give us more to make up for Alderson.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/16/12
  • Bushleague

They were talking about this on the noon "Baseball Tonight" yesterday and here is what Olney said:

"The Giants could call the Pirates about Joel Hannarahan but expect Pittsburgh to want the organizations top three prospects and the name of someone unborn child."

Thats when they said the Giants would go with a committee.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/16/12
  • fla pirate
Well that might make up for the last No 2 overall suspect we got, but I would be willing to live with Belt and a top 5 suspect. Not sure how good Belt is going to be but at least he could play 1st base better than Jones?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/16/12
  • mroble
I read somewhere this year that Alderson's velocity was starting to pick back up. Hope that's accurate.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 62385.9 was deleted
  • 4/16/12
  • fla pirate

Its still topping out around 90/91 wasn't it, but I guess after seeing it in the low 80's that better?

I don't understand how we managed to miss that velocity drop before the trade, but hopefully, he is getting back on track to do something meaningful for us someday.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/16/12
  • fla pirate

"Belt doesn't play third"

Ding ding ding! We have options for 3rd, 1st not so much?

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/16/12
  • mroble

Personally, I think they tinkered with him. And caused the loss themselves. I think they have new people on it, and it's starting to come back.

If it has gotten up to 90/91 after being in the 80's, that's not where I want to see the improvment stop. But that's at least a sign that he could be salvageable.

• Reply to this Message
Message 62385.13 was deleted
  • 4/16/12
  • fla pirate

"Personally, I think they tinkered with him. And caused the loss themselves. I think they have new people on it, and it's starting to come back."

I thought that too, but Scorp has been pretty adamanite that we didn't screw with him until well after he lost velocity. There was a reason the Giants were ready to move him, and we got stuck with a bag.

"Personally, I think they tinkered with him. And caused the loss themselves. I think they have new people on it, and it's starting to come back."

I hope so, although he is now on his way to becoming a reliever which is kind of disappointing for a guy that was at one time a sure lock into SF's rotation. But if a reliever is all he can be, that is better than nothing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/16/12
  • WangLess

Alderson has gone back to his long toss throwing program which the Pirates originally discouraged. He attributes this regimen to his velocity gain.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 62385.16 through 62385.17 were deleted
  • 4/16/12
  • mroble

I've read several stories, with several teams regarding long toss, and if it even has a bit of value to a pitcher.

Mitch Williams swears that it's a waste of time. He says that a pitcher's actual pitching motion is nothing like how they throw in long toss. I can agree with that, but baseball is a funny sport. That activity may not help one guy one bit, but could change the world for another guy.

I feel if any player has success at any level because of using it, then teams need to let him stick with it. Just have them do his long toss program in around the activities the team prescribes is all, and off to the side or something.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/16/12
  • mroble
That's the article I read, but I saw it come across my timeline on Facebook. And since I "liked" both the Pirates AND Pirate Prospects, I forgot which one did the article.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 62385.20 was deleted
Recent Discussions
PMB Stargell Stars
Latest by Mongoose - 4:09 AM
Travis Snider Trade Value?
Latest by Mongoose - 4:06 AM
Astros call up Springer
Latest by Mongoose - 3:50 AM
My Love Affair with 93.7 The Fan
Latest by keithconto - 1:39 AM
Not so sure about Wandy?