• Welcome Guest
Philadelphia Phillies

Welcome to the Philadelphia Phillies.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• An inconvenient truth for the nattering nabobs of nattitude
  • To:All
  • 9/21/12
  • bcjello

I was reminded on another thread of that taunt from FP Santangelo saying "Looks like they (the Phillies) have to work on taking their own park back" after the sellout streak ended. Oddly, the Phillies still lead all MLB teams in attendance, and have still AVERAGED selling over 100% of their venue's seating capacity this year.

Of all MLB teams, the Nationals are 14th in attendance...FOURTEENTH!! The Braves are 15th, but that's another story.
The Nationals are, and have been all year, the winningest team in baseball, the only MLB team in town, and yet they have averaged LESS than 30,000 fans a game this year, in their almost new ballpark.
Of the top 14 teams in attendance, they are the only team that averages more fans in their ROAD games, than their HOME games.

All the bluster can't cover over their weak fan support. They came out of nowhere in 2012, the way the Phillies did in 1993. The difference is, the Phillies drew well over 3 million that year. THAT is what happens when you field a winning team in a town that has baseball fans.

• Reply to this Message
Message 109367.2 was deleted
  • 9/21/12
  • fuller12
Nifty Spiro Agnew / William Safire allusion.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • bcjello
It's a "DC" thing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • utley09
DC was never a good baseball town, I doubt it comes back much..Redskins own the town..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • bcjello
I agree...I can see Cincinnati and Baltimore having a "rebirth" as "baseball towns", but I'm not as sure about DC. Baseball people are really interested to find out what next year brings, attendance-wise, in DC. Most people I've talked to are pretty skeptical at this point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • eddiejc1
True. But you're still looking up at us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • joebas2

"True. But you're still looking up at us."

I seem to remember the Mutts saying the same thing in 2007... ;)

Man, those flashes sure are bright in the pan...

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • owapapercut
I say give credit where it's due. The Nationals played brilliantly and deserve to be the NL East champs. The Nationals matter to me insofar as they are a participant in a zero sum game in which we're engaged. Their fan support matters indirectly in that it could impact their ability to raise capital to invest in players that would compete with ours. Otherwise I don't think about it.

Edited 9/21/12   by  owapapercut
Edited 9/21/12   by  owapapercut
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 9/21/12
  • lharm
I think I read somewhere that the Nats are offering BOGOs on playoff tix.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 109367.11 was deleted
  • 9/21/12
  • wildthng88
My theory on the fanbase. It's a football town. It's also very close to Bal who always has a great team. The Redskins get a great deal of press no matter how bad they are. You also have displaced fans from the Northeast teams of Yanks,Sox, Mets and Phillies. Also O's fans. Since Bal is again so close and not baseball team in DC up until 05 I believe it was many DCers became Os fans. I doubt that ballpark ever grows the big attendance all year which IMHO will make then not be able to afford as many high profile FAs over time. They'll have to build more so through the draft. It's great to say they draft well but they hit pay dirt 2 yrs in row which I'd call very lucky on two very can't miss talents potential wise. So now we have to see how well they draft when they don't have a top 10 pick. They still have a lot to prove. Eventually they'll be like the Phillies with all this talent together they'll all grow old together. I'm not saying Washington is fraud but I don't think they'll have the success unless they build through the draft.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • wildthng88
Also Baltimore and the Ravens are in very good driving distance.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • bcjello

Wrong..the Phillies TEAM is looking up at the Nationals TEAM, but that does not apply to the point I was making, i.e., the Nationals fan base is an embarrassment, and they will always be "looking up" to legitimate fan bases like those in Philadelphia, St. Louis, Boston, Chicago, et al. They were given the most spectacular pitcher and hitting prospects in the country to root for, a team with the best record in baseball all season long, a new ballpark, and with all the hype and contrived "nattitude nonsense", they can't even get their average attendance above 30K.

The Rockies, Cubs and Twins have a combined record of 179 wins and 271 losses....but guess what? ALL of those teams average THOUSANDS more fans PER game than the Nationals do.

Pathetic.

You and the rest of the Nationals' fan base are still "looking up" at their fan bases.

Edited 9/21/12   by  bcjello
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • thetuner

After reading that excellent post I can only make these two comments.

1. Funny post!

2. I NEVER NEVER NEVER want to give Jello a combination of inconvenient facts, and a reason to want to tell me to eF off in a polite but public way. There really isnt much a nattering nabob can come back with after that! Its just better for them to simply admit they got smacked down by one of the best and crawl away with what little dignity they have left.

HAHAHAHA, bravo friend .

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • utley09
wow, be tough to top that one..post of the week..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • lilsebastian00

Of

The

Year

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • joebas2
Wow, that one ranks up there with my "Step-By-Step directions on how to find the Phillies" to that Mets fan in 2008... well done sir!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • RollinsMVP

Nat = Gnat = flying pest that needs to be swatted.

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/21/12
  • FOXY1

" I NEVER NEVER NEVER want to give Jello a combination of inconvenient facts, and a reason to want to tell me to eF off in a polite but public way"

philsgurl5 and I used to marvel at the way Jello would totally skewer trolls with such surgical precision, we coined names for it. She would say "you've been Jello burned, time to go home". I'd call it being "Jello Slimed".

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Are These Hall of Fame Numbers
Latest by sgtwilkins - 8:56 AM
OT: TV/Movie Thread
Latest by unKnoWn - 8:54 AM
OT-Hobbies
Latest by sgtwilkins - 8:53 AM
OT: Hoffa's Keeper League-2014 Edition
Latest by NoHope - 8:45 AM
Madison
Latest by fuller12 - 8:26 AM
This forum has become very boring
Latest by gk666 - 8:03 AM
OT: Game of Thrones
Latest by fflat - 7:47 AM
So when do we start tar & feather people?
Latest by fuller12 - 7:47 AM
It's time for Ken Giles
Latest by oblawyer - 7:03 AM
The Official Ruben Amaro Jr. Stupid Quote Thread
Latest by miguelmama - 6:45 AM