• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Duda 0-4 with 4 K's
  • To:All
  • 2/24/13
  • mcmet69
Maybe Duda goes to AAA and Valdespin is the left fielder.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • fargol

"and Valdespin is the left field"

Ugh.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • thagreat1
Good thing this is inconsequential spring training game that has zero indication on how a player will perform in regular season
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Adam Rubin ?@AdamRubinESPN
Terry Collins said Lucas Duda is getting caught with his front foot still in the air as pitch arrives. New plate approach work in progress."

He can work on his new plate approach all Spring for as far as I am concerned, but once the regular season begins if he is not hitting he should be on a very short leash.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • gilforhof
I have never seen so many excuses given for one player as for Duda. I think what we are seeing is what we are getting from him ... terrible defense, mediocre offense, and an extremely fragile psyche. I'm for giving everyone a chance, but how long do we stick with this guy. Spring training is to see what our team (prospects, veterans, etc) can do and bring the best up north. If Cowgill and the rest are worse than Duda, I'm definitely missing something.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • danthemetfan
Spring Training is for the players to get ready for the season. The first two weeks especially, it is for players to get their timing down, and work on getting back into playing condition. Too much is being made on production after two games. He can go Oh for for all of March as long as he is ready come April. That is what ST is for.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Spring training is to see what our team (prospects, veterans, etc) can do and bring the best up north"

Is it? I think that is a part of it but it is also to get players prepared for the regular season. Duda hit .300 with a .969 OPS last Spring, Thole hit .313 with an .847 OPS and Scott Hairston went 1 for 20 and that hit was a single.

So that right there should tell you how unimportant Spring Training statistics are when trying to determine whether to bring up a player or not.

• Reply to this Message
Message 548583.8 was deleted
  • 2/24/13
  • Kranesback
I had heard something about them trying Lutz in the OF also, but Spin is looking pretty good.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • gilforhof
I understand that. I'm not saying drop the guy this minute. Anyone can be in top notch condition with great timing, run as fast as a speeding bullet etc. However, if they can't hit or field, they stay in the minors until they can or are released eventually. In the end, you want to bring your best people up north. I understand its just two games and he has the rest of spring training to show what he can do, but bad habits usually follow you where you go. If he can perform to a higher level, that would be great. I just don't see it. I don't dislike him at all, I hope for the best for him, I just believe its a losing proposition with him. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to say it and root for him all the way.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • gilforhof
I'm not looking at the statistics, I'm looking at playing ability. Do you in all seriousness consider Duda a major league caliber player right now? Hairston had history behind him. Duda does too as did Thole. Thole was taken north because we had no one else. I just feel we have players better than Duda right now. Start of the season, maybe not. But never will I believe Duda is an answer for our OF situation, home runs or not. Just my opinion only.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

"I'm not looking at the statistics, I'm looking at playing ability. Do you in all seriousness consider Duda a major league caliber player right now? "

On February 24th, no. But on April first who knows, only time will tell.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • TheGMan47
Actually we don't really have any better options than Duda. Who else is there?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • Oldfan

<<"If Cowgill and the rest are worse than Duda, I'm definitely missing something"

You might be missing something. Cowgill, Valdespin, Neuwenhuis, Baxter, Brown, etc are all 4th/5th/AAA OFers. I think we're all pretty aware the OF is a mess and the hope is Duda can supply some power. If not, no harm in giving him much of the season since there aren't exactly all-stars or anyone in the system ready to replace him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • gilforhof
That we agree on. If he does what the Mets hope he will do, I'm all for it. As I said, I don't dislike him at all and wish the best for him. I'm more than willing to give him a chance, but it won't last forever.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

"I'm more than willing to give him a chance, but it won't last forever."

Like I said, very short leash once the regular season begins.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • gilforhof
Defensively, he is not close to any of them. Thats one tool, speed, not close, thats two tools, and so on. Power, he is better than the rest, granted. He is a one tool player only. I am giving him and them the rest of spring training to see who does what. I'm not the GM or manager, so it means nothing what I think or say, except to me. Its an opinion, like everyone else has.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 548583.18 through 548583.19 were deleted
  • 2/24/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Patience, grasshopper.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Joey Gallo
Latest by thebobymon - 6:52 AM
All Kirk does is swing and miss
Latest by sb51 - 6:51 AM
Duda on pace for 31hr