• Murphy is blocking Wilmer's path to the bigs
  • To:All
  • 2/24/13
  • KB24NYM
move Murphy for an OF?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • thagreat1
I'm torn, I don't know if I would move Murphy for an outfielder or Willmer. In a perfect world Flores can become a serviceable outfielder and we don't have to move either
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • DFAB
Murphy is not blocking Flores' path to the bigs...Wright is. Maybe we should move him to to the OF? Do you remember what happened when Murphy was moved to the OF? Perhaps you should ask Santana. Also, Murphy has PROVEN he can hit MLB pitching...and he is pretty good at it. Flores hasn't proven anything yet. Murphy is one of the most underrated players in baseball. A .300 hitter with 40+ doubles is very solid. Flores' value is in the trade market.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • Metopia
Keep the infield intact. Flores and Valdespin for that matter can cool their heels for a year and then let's see.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • DFAB
nvm, I misread....I thought you meant put Murphy IN the OF. Either way, I'm keeping the proven Murphy and letting Flores build his value this season so we can trade him for a REAL OF. Teams aren't going to give us fair value for Murphy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • KB24NYM
I asked if he should be moved FOR an outfielder. Not TO the outfield.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • GoMets6986
Murphy can't play the OF. Flores was very good last year but let's see what he can do in AAA before we consider calling him up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • GoMets6986
My bad I misread this too. If Flores kills it in AAA this year I would consider moving Murphy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • DFAB
read my second post........
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • KB24NYM
yeah
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • Oldfan

Considering Flores has only played a handful of games at 2B, Murphy isn't blocking him yet.

Flores needs to play some in the OF and at 2B in the minors this year and prove last year's offensive offensive improvement wasn't a fluke. It'll also be interesting to see if Murphy will continue to improve defensively.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • stearnsy12

let's see if Flores can play second and how he does this year at Vegas....if Murphy does his usual thing and Flores emerges as a second baseman with more offensive upside so be it, we'll be in a good position to deal either of them in the right deal

but we need to take one step at a time

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • Kranesback
Murphy just can't play the OF. Maybe move Wright to left like they did with Braun.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • thebobymon

Let Wilmer get some full time in at second in the minors.

Murphy is still cheap and under control.

If Wilmer shows he can handle the position, then you think about moving Murphy...heck Havens is still in the mix for 2nd base.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • DFAB

"Maybe move Wright to left like they did with Braun."

That's smart. Move your GOLD GLOVE 3rd baseman to a position he never played before....

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • bbjmparis

Flores is blocking Flores...he's not that good. If he ever does make the Mets moving Wright to the OF to make room for him would be a huge mistake. Let's see, you move a GG third baseman to the outfield where he won't field very well, and replace him with a guy who doesn't field great either. You weaken an already bad defense at two positions. I don't think that's a very good Idea.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • Kranesback
Former gold glove...that was 6 years ago.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • DFAB
So he has been terrible on defense ever since? You can have gold glove level defense without winning a GG...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • 4545_ajd
Flores still hasn't played in AAA yet, so there is still time to make that decision.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Former gold glove...that was 6 years ago."

Wright played the best defense of his career last year. Was tremendous, probably should have won a gold glove.

• Reply to this Message