New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Syndergaard Vs. Sanchez
  • To:All
  • 2/19/13
  • abbymart

From Fangraphs. Click the link for entire article

By December it became clear Sandy Alderson would trade R.A. Dickey before his Cy Young Award could collect a spec of dust. The only questions remaining were where the knuckleballer would land and who the Mets would receive in return.

It came as little surprise that Alex Anthopoulos was lurking — fresh off acquiring much Miami’s talent less than a month earlier. It was certain the Mets would require Travis d’Arnaud to make a deal, but would they demand another player, too? Noah Syndergaard and Aaron Sanchez vaulted up prospect lists this season as pitchers in the Lansing Lugnuts’ rotation, and their success created a divide among analysts. Syndergaard or Sanchez? Sanchez or Syndergaard? Who was atop Alderson’s list? Was Anthopoulous correct when he deemed Sanchez “untouchable?”..........

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/sanchez-versus-syndergaard-prospect-showdown/

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • Bowser
Well that was disappointing, Sanchez is clearly better. But no matter, I'm looking forward to Syndergaard's development.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • metrebel

By December it became clear Sandy Alderson would trade R.A. Dickey before his Cy Young Award could collect a spec of dust. The only questions remaining were where the knuckleballer would land and who the Mets would receive in return.

It came as little surprise that Alex Anthopoulos was lurking — fresh off acquiring much Miami’s talent less than a month earlier. It was certain the Mets would require Travis d’Arnaud to make a deal, but would they demand another player, too? Noah Syndergaard and Aaron Sanchez vaulted up prospect lists this season as pitchers in the Lansing Lugnuts’ rotation, and their success created a divide among analysts. Syndergaard or Sanchez? Sanchez or Syndergaard? Who was atop Alderson’s list? Was Anthopoulous correct when he deemed Sanchez “untouchable?”..........

I don't know that Sanchez was untouchable. It's the way trades work. The key player in the trade for the Mets is d'Arnaud. If Sandy asked for Sanchez it's possible Anthopoulos said you can have d'Arnaud, but not Sanchez and him. Syndergaard is the 29th rated prospect in MLB. Who knows. Maybe Synergaard turns out better than Sanchez. Only time will tell.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • bbjmparis

No-no-no. The trade was a STEAL for us. At least according to 90% of the genuises who post here. Snydergaard is the next Tom Seaver. Forget the fact he's only in low A ball, has a lousy curve ball, and faces batters that for the most part will only see a major league game if they buy a ticket. You're not allowed to say that, or even think it. Bad karma or something. As Tony the Tiger would say, he's going to be grrrrreat!!! If he's not, it's the fault of people like me who don't think much of his chances. As for Snydergaard vs Sanchez? Probably, neither will amount to much.

Then, there's the other prize in the trade, TdA. The next Bench or Piazza we're told...except he's on the DL and hasn't played a game since going on it. A Catching prospect who put up nice numbers in a very hitter friendly park, in a very hitter friendly league. Who has a bad back, gimpy knee, torn thumb. Met doctors say he's okay...the same doctors that said Ike Davis was day to day in 2011, when he missed half the season. Now all that aught to raise more red flags than a Communist Party May Day parade, but the genuises aren't worried. Nor the the fact this guy wasn't even Sandy's first choice, and may have been only third choice, matter. The deal was a steal. Just ask any of the posters who will blast what I'm saying, call me names, but fail to give a single fact to support what they say.

So the trade was a steal. You're not allowed to say or believe otherwise. It breaks up the cosmic harmony. If ANYONE, has a negitive feeling about the trade, they jinx and upset the cosmic vibrations, causing the negitive to happen. But! If EVERYONE engages in wishful thinking, then it will be so...or some such rot. They must believe something like that. Why else do they get so upset when someone points out a few facts?

Well, when Toronto is in the WS this fall, and we're celebrating a 90+ loss season and a continued stranglehold on 4th place...unless we fall to 5th. They can blame it on me....God forbid they blame it on the Wilpons, or SA for making this dumb trade.

• Reply to this Message
Message 548437.5 was deleted
  • 2/19/13
  • MetObserver
Yes darn if we only kept Dickey we could have been the team in the World Series. Whoa is me, whoa is me, we made such a mistake we should all be ashamed and hid our faces forever.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • fargol

"The rain cloud has arrived "

LOL he's like that swarm of ants that shows up at your picnic.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • thagreat1
Ants everywhere hate you now
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • fargol

"Ants everywhere hate you now "

They've always hated me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • thagreat1
Yes but you just insulted their ant king.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • fargol

"Yes but you just insulted their ant king. "

Do roaches have kings?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • metrebel

No-no-no. The trade was a STEAL for us. At least according to 90% of the genuises who post here. Snydergaard is the next Tom Seaver. Forget the fact he's only in low A ball, has a lousy curve ball, and faces batters that for the most part will only see a major league game if they buy a ticket. You're not allowed to say that, or even think it. Bad karma or something. As Tony the Tiger would say, he's going to be grrrrreat!!! If he's not, it's the fault of people like me who don't think much of his chances. As for Snydergaard vs Sanchez? Probably, neither will amount to much.

Then, there's the other prize in the trade, TdA. The next Bench or Piazza we're told...except he's on the DL and hasn't played a game since going on it. A Catching prospect who put up nice numbers in a very hitter friendly park, in a very hitter friendly league. Who has a bad back, gimpy knee, torn thumb. Met doctors say he's okay...the same doctors that said Ike Davis was day to day in 2011, when he missed half the season. Now all that aught to raise more red flags than a Communist Party May Day parade, but the genuises aren't worried. Nor the the fact this guy wasn't even Sandy's first choice, and may have been only third choice, matter. The deal was a steal. Just ask any of the posters who will blast what I'm saying, call me names, but fail to give a single fact to support what they say.

So the trade was a steal. You're not allowed to say or believe otherwise. It breaks up the cosmic harmony. If ANYONE, has a negitive feeling about the trade, they jinx and upset the cosmic vibrations, causing the negitive to happen. But! If EVERYONE engages in wishful thinking, then it will be so...or some such rot. They must believe something like that. Why else do they get so upset when someone points out a few facts?

Well, when Toronto is in the WS this fall, and we're celebrating a 90+ loss season and a continued stranglehold on 4th place...unless we fall to 5th. They can blame it on me....God forbid they blame it on the Wilpons, or SA for making this dumb trade.

Why don't you just stop. Snydergaard is th 29th rated propsect in MLB. Show me where it says he has a lousey curve. Did you ever hear about players with a high ceiling having to develop? I'd have to say you haven't. I suppose you would have said Wright was no good when he went into the minors. TdA had a PCL injury and his healthy. If you so know much about the injury tell what the PCL is. It didn't require surgery and he's healthy now. What he has wih his back over 50% of the country has It shows what you know. It was the Blue Jays doctors who said he would be fine come ST. Not the Mets doctors. You know more than those inside MLB baseball who rank the kid as a top 10 prospect and the #1 catching prospect in MLB.If your'e going to keep being negative, why don't you become a Yankee fan? How many game did the Mets win with Dickey?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • Gepett0

what he does:

he scours scouting reports for the knocks on guys...he then exaggerates those flaws into these huge issues that make the prospect worthless and ALL other scouts wrong about him....he then throws them out as facts and insinuates that anyone who disagrees is just completely ignorant and a koolaider...then when people basically call him out for being an imbecile, he pulls the whole wounded animal routine about being called a name, even though everything in his entire previous posts were insinuating that half the people on this board are id*iots....

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • Gepett0

see, those rankings don't count though

the only ranking that counts for him is the one that has him the lowest - in this case keith law

but if law is high on another guy on the mets, that ranking won't count either and he'll find the guy that has him lowest and THAT will be the one that matters...

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • metrebel

>> see, those rankings don't count though

They count. Doesn't mean they will make it. T believe theres others who have ranked these kids that high.

>> the only ranking that counts for him is the one that has him the lowest - in this case keith law

What I'd like to know about Law is where does he get the time to see all these baseball and football prospects play. He talks like he is such an expert in both sports.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • fargol

"he pulls the whole wounded animal routine about being called a name, even though everything in his entire previous posts were insinuating that half the people on this board are id*iots...."

In other words, a troll just looking for a fight.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • Melo15nym

This might be the most ridiculous post I have read today. First of all, nobody said this trade was a "steal" for the Mets. It was a good trade for both teams going in different directions. Second of all, to say Syndergarrd has a "lousy curve" is hilarious. He throws a really hard curve with good downward break. He has shown flashes that it can be a plus pitch for him. Scouts grade his curve a 50/60 which isn't lousy. Do some re-search before you say garbage like that.

I haven't heard one fan say d'Arnaud is the next Bench or Piazza, however when he was with the Phillies, his coaches said physically he is very similar to Bench, and this guy has been around the game since 1965 and actually coached Bench. So, I actually trust these guys who watch this kid play everyday.

Also, d'Arnaud isn't on the DL. He is in camp and is on the 40 man roster. Yes, he put up great numbers in great hitters park, but he also put up great numbers in New Hampshire AA which is a pitching heaven league and park. He won the Eastern League MVP in 2011. I guess that doesn't account to anything, right?

Again, this post is so wrong on so many levels. It seems like you just want to ignore prospects. Except you fail to understand that every major leaguer was once a prospect. You can't just build a team by not taking any risks.

You are completely lost.

Edited 2/19/13   by  Melo15nym
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • govmule72

"Well that was disappointing, Sanchez is clearly better."

That's yet to be seen.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • govmule72
Stop being hysterical and calm down. It was a good trade.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • bkmetfan
I'm very glad everyone is catching on to your negativity routine.
  • Reply to this Message