• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• For Mets to be successful, Whiffboy has to put together 162
  • To:All
  • 2/18/13
  • KB24NYM

No one likes to talk about his second half last season. Its taboo. He was god awful, and hasn't put together a FULL GOOD season in years.

If we are going to have any hope of .500 ball, Whiffboy needs to play like the kind of player deserving of the contract he got, and not the one we've seen over the last few years, mired in struggles and inconsistency.

Edited 2/18/13   by  KB24NYM
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • Melo15nym
Wrong. For the Mets to be successful they have to get consistency from Davis and Duda. When Wright is slumping, nobody else in the lineup picks him up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • KB24NYM
In my opinion, all three are important. Don't really know why you're downplaying WB's importance. I certainly didn't mean to imply no one else is important in my op.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • DFAB
these "whiffboy" threads are getting ridiculous....I guess when he carried the team on his back in the first half last year it meant nothing? Also, he has had NO protection in the lineup whatsoever the last few years....THAT is why his numbers are not as good. Give him some protection so he doesn't always get pitched around and his numbers will improve...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • KB24NYM

.258/.334/.416

You're blaming that on no protection?

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/18/13
  • KB24NYM
Wright's last great season was 2008...sad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • DFAB
tell me, what were his stats when he had Delgado and Beltran in the lineup?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • DFAB

"Wright's last great season was 2008...sad."

Do you remember what happened in 2009? EVERYONE around him got injured....

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • KB24NYM
So you're going back 5 years to defend WB?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • gilforhof

Calling Wright whiffboy accomplishes nothing at all. He had a tremendous first half and you don't hear a word about it by the "whiffboyers". Minute he strikes out, he's back to his old ways yada yada yada. Give him some credit where its due. He had a horrible 2nd half, granted, but no one really stepped up to replace him or help him. He can't carry the entire team on his back or bat. He's an extremely good player, not one of the greats ... yet, time will tell. The season hasn't started and already some are getting down on Wright. Lets see what happens and then start the ranting and raving.

You say no one wants to talk about his 2nd half ..... thats all I see here. Whiffboy this, whiffboy that. Give it a break and wait until the season is full swing. LGM!

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • Melo15nym

Downplaying what performance? Are we forgetting that he finished the season with 21 home-runs 93 RBIs and a line of .306/.391/.492/.883? Are we also forgetting that he finished 6th in MVP voting? His performance in the 2nd half wasn't as good in the first half, but if you were expecting him to do what he did in the first half the whole year you were fooling yourself.

Wright is the least of concerns for this team. Davis and Duda need to be much better this year, Murphy and Tejada need to get on base more, Nieuwenhuis needs to cut down on the K's. These are more important things we should be worrying on than Wright. We know what were getting from Wright, all star type seasons.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • KB24NYM
Since when are we happy with 21 HR from David?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • fredhoss
You really show your ignorance by referring to David Wright as "whiffboy". He ranked 71st in MLB last year in K's, hardly worthy of the nickname. I understand it from a few years ago because he K'd alot but even still using the nickname is childish. What would you call him if the Mets had gotten Upton or Bourne both of whom K'd WAY more than Wright in 2012.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • Melo15nym

"You're blaming that on no protection?"

He's right though. When Wright was rolling, where was Ike? Yeah, he was batting .100. If Ike was doing what he can do, the Mets could of gotten more wins in the first half.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • Melo15nym

"tell me, what were his stats when he had Delgado and Beltran in the lineup?"

Thank you.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • fredhoss
They also moved into that great hitter park for a RH batter - Citi Field.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • Melo15nym

"So you're going back 5 years to defend WB?"

This isn't about defending him, it's the truth. That time the Mets had a great 3-5 which would fear a lot of pitchers. Pitchers now take advantage of pitching around him because the guys hitting behind him aren't doing the job.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • KB24NYM
Wright had a smoking hot Beltran in 2011 and couldn't get it done.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • Melo15nym

"Since when are we happy with 21 HR from David?"

Lol you're mad about his home - run totals? What do you want from him? 45 When are you people going to realize Wright was never a home - run hitter. He's a line drive hitter with 20-25 home -run power.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • nym698641
So if all three are that important why is the guy that strikes out the least of the three called whiff boy and called out in your thread?
  • Reply to this Message