New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Heyman: Montero 'thrilling' Mets
  • To:All
  • 2/18/13
  • KB24NYM
Jon Heyman ?@JonHeymanCBS
Rafael Montero, rhp, 22, is thrilling mets people. "unreal'' is the word heard. throws hard & throws strikes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • capicu76
Love his talent. He is on the small side, which may ultimately lead him into a bullpen role.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • KB24NYM
We are 5 posts apart. How long have you been here?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • capicu76
I'm an old timer been a member since 2004. I stopped posting for a while.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • capicu76

Based on the scouting reports I've read, he can run his two-seamer up to 94. He generally sits comfortably in the 92 range, which is more than enough to get MLB hitters out. What has scouts excited are his command of the fastball and the movement it has.

I really like him and expect him to shoot up our prospect rankings this season.

Edited 2/18/13   by  capicu76
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • thagreat1
Pedro Martinez was also on the small side but what mattered was the force generated with his pitches. I'm not saying he is the next Martinez but if he throws hard and fearlessly, he may find a spot in the rotation. Either way we're loaded with pitchers in our farm so him in the pen wouldn't be a bad thing
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • Gepett0

hes on the smaller side but his delivery is effortless which bodes well for him remaining a starter long term

if he was more of a max effort guy, id agree w/ you but in some ways his easy delivery would suggest that he may have the best chance of remaining a starter out of anyone in our minor league system not named wheeler or syndergaard

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Let's see how he develops up to AAA. That he can consistently throw strikes is promising. He will have to develp his other pitches, 3 or 4 of them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • ExileMetsFan

"I'm an old timer been a member since 2004. I stopped posting for a while. "

I remember you :-)

(I was ikvsabre)

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • Bowser
Yo ikvsabre whats up man, its been a while.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • ExileMetsFan
Doin' OK, Bowser. Good to see you again. How have you been?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • Gepett0

he already largely has

his change up and slider both project as above average pitches and has excellent control of both...

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • viper99

"He is on the small side, which may ultimately lead him into a bullpen role."

You know, to me, that statement is one of the biggest mistakes that organizations make. If a pitcher is a starter and has great stuff, why change them? Let them start and if they turn out to be great starters for only 7/10 years, so be it.

That is still better than bringing them in for an inning at the time for 12 years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • Gepett0
plus a study was done recently that showed that there isnt as much of a connection b/t size and the ability to remain a starter as one would think....its more about the effort needed for their respective delivery...and nearly every report ive read on montero raves about his effortless motion
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • thebobymon
Does his toe mash da rubbuh when he releases da ball?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • jsmet
I heard on Sny news he maybe ready by 2014. If the kid shows enough this year. Why not bring him up this year?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • thagreat1
sure September call up definitely in the realm of possibility
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • govmule72

If he can go 219-100, with 2.93 over 18 seasons who cares?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/21/13
  • skorpio520
future closer?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/21/13
  • agbayani50
I think they're going to be gun-shy following Mejia's experience, plus they're not playing for this year. If he comes up next year, his clock starts another year later.
  • Reply to this Message