• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Is Matt Harvey getting fat?
  • To:All
  • 2/18/13
  • JackNicholson
Have you noticed in spring training pics? His gut while pitching, his double chin? Is he, like, intentionally getting fatter to add more weight behind his fastball? He has been gaining weight, I'm just not sure if it's part of his plan or not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • Melo15nym

Why do people always say this with players in spring? Are we forgetting the dude 6'4 225? That is the definition of a workhorse pitcher body.

Are fans expecting players to be Calvin Klein Underwear Models?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • thagreat1
A little flab is okay. The more muscular and "ripped"one is the less cardio and durability.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • 4545_ajd
I remember during a game Keith Hernandez said he used to purposely come into camp overweight. It would allow his body to burn off the excess fat instead of muscle during Spring Training and work outs which would allow him to keep his energy up instead of being fatigued and wearing out later in the season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • MetObserver
Keith seems to have no trouble bulking up from what I have seen in the booth. Always talking about a diet but is the first one to eat anything in the booth.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • govmule72
Funny, because I did notice that he had a belly. I'm not too worried though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • AdrianMonk

It's okay for pitchers to be fat.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • TheFriNgE

"I remember during a game Keith Hernandez said he used to purposely come into camp overweight. It would allow his body to burn off the excess fat instead of muscle during Spring Training and work outs which would allow him to keep his energy up instead of being fatigued and wearing out later in the season."

This is the kind of common sense the trainers need to know, if they don't know already! (I am sure this must be common knowledge in baseball?)

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • TheFriNgE
It is true in fact, a lean body will burn muscle because it "thinks" it needs to preserve what little fat reserve it has.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • TheObsoleteMan
He looks like Sid Fernandez.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • TheObsoleteMan
Ironically I just watched this, Jack. http://youtu.be/b0hOiasRsrA
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548417.12 was deleted
  • 2/19/13
  • KB24NYM
Wow, Kirk looks JACKED
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • nutz4pugs
It's ST. Plenty of time to get into shape. Also, Harvey is big dude to begin with, definately not Pedro Martinez-esque. More Roger Clemens-esque, without the 'tude.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548417.15 was deleted
  • 2/19/13
  • nutz4pugs

"Baxter is hot!!!!!!!! "

If he's hot, all he needs to do is flap those ears. Have you seen those ears!? Nothing against Mike, but Clark Gable at least put tape behind his. Do something bout those ears, Mike. Please. :-)

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • Metopia
You ain't kidding.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548417.18 was deleted
  • 2/19/13
  • Kranesback
Maybe Harvey shold go on an 8 day fast.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/19/13
  • nutz4pugs