Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets Won't Rule Out Jose Valverde
  • 2/17/13
  • nym698641
Can the fans have a vote? I vote no.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • Remember86
Hopefully, they will rule him out. As I wrote in another post earlier this week, Valverde has "aging closer with a tired arm" written all over him. Considering the fact the Mets won't be contending this season, they might as well give Parnell the ball and see how he does.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • MetObserver
You do know that he was 5th in the Cy voting just one year ago. His 3.78 era last year was his highest since 2006 when it was over 5 but he bounced back to lead the AL in saves 3 times all this in the Moe Rivera era. For a reasonable contract I see nothing wrong with trying him. Just to bolster the pen on a short term basis to help out our starting pitchers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • DFAB
I'd much rather see us get Capps or Wilson...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • murphstates
Using that logic why didn't we bolster the outfield on a shirt term basis to help out the starters and the lineup?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • stearnsy12
i think at this point with Parnell,Lyons,Edgin,Familia,Atchison,Hawkins,and Francisco that Valverde would be overkill....not saying that we've got a bullpen for the ages here but beyond those first seven i'd rather see Carson or another youngster get a shot if need be
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • TheGMan47
I'd be fine with signing him on a one year deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • MetObserver
Because the pen can help hold on to wins late in games and the extra production that we would get in the outfield wouldn't be as crucial in games. Unless you think we will play with only 6 men in the field this year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • TheGMan47
Capps already signed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • MetObserver
Wilson hasn't impressed any team yet with his low 80s fastball. He will need more time to recover his speed if he can.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • MetObserver
Again the difference is also as you say "the shirt term" Because they should be signing Valverde at this time to a one year deal. None of the outfielders were willing to sign for one year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • DFAB
well ok then...didn't know that lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • Remember86

Last season he struck out just 48 batters in 69 innings. That's 21 fewer strikeouts in three fewer innings than he had achieved in 2011. It was also the first time in his career his SO total was anywhere near that much less than his total innings. In three fewer innings, he gave up 11 more earned runs than 2011. The last time he'd given up over 25 earned runs in a season was 2008. His strikeout to base on ball ratio decreased to its lowest ratio of his career. These are troubling stats for a closer for me. Others have said this and I'd have to agree, he's reminding me of Frankie Frank.

I just feel as though we aren't going to contend, we have Bobby Parnell, why not see if he can be our closer? His ninth inning numbers last season were much improved over the previous years when if you saw him coming in the game in the ninth you all but knew the game was lost.

I'm all for the Mets acquiring guys in their mid to not too late 20s. If Valverde was one of those and had an off year last season, I might not have been against acquiring him for a reasonable contract either. But he'll be turning 35 in a month, last season looked suspect to me, we're supposedly in a rebuild. He just seems like a waste of our time.

In all honesty, we need a better bullpen without a doubt. But we also need our starters to go longer into the game, so that our bullpen (no matter what the quality) doesn't get tuckered out by August 1st like they have in previous seasons.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • murphstates
Having an outfield that can catch the ball and produce runs offensively is far more helpful to the rotation than an aging, declining relief pitcher.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • murphstates
There were several stop-gap outfielders that signed one year deals.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • MetObserver
Okay and how much more will these one year stop gap outfielders help above what we may get from the players we currently have? None of those other available outfielders as far as I know were stars. Just because they have played in the ML doesn't mean that they will automatically be much better than what we finally end up using. Unless you have a crystal ball that tells you the future.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • bmcneely
Brandon Inge just signed a 1 yr deal with Pirates. I think Abreu would take a 1 yr deal at this point, Mark Derosa as well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • MetObserver

And that would make you much happier about our outfield? No thanks I think we can get just as much from our platoons.

And Inge only has 32 games in the outfield in his 12 previous seasons. With his .234 career BA and .313 OBP I don't think he would be any better than what we have now considering he has only been a part time players for the last couple of years and his BA has slipped even further.

Mark DeRosa hasn't had over 100 atbats in recent years so how much would he help?

Yeah Abreu who is afraid of the wall would do well in Citifield and he hasn't hit over .255 in a few years either.

Grasping at straws? Why not wait and see what the group we have can do? Or are these players you would sign going to bring the team to the promised land. Because I think that array of players would be worse than last years outfield.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • murphstates

Those players have track records in the major leagues, it's probability. How much is Valverde going to help? Do you have a crystal ball?

Supporting the signing of stop gap players in the rotation and pen while dismissing doing the same in the outfield is logically inconsistent and betrays a blind defense of anything the FO does.

• Reply to this Message