• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• What would you have done differently?
  • To:All
  • 2/16/13
  • metman79

I have to give the Mets an A for this offseason...building for the future, not overpaying for mediocre players and gettng the payroll uder control...if there are any quality FA next year, now we can afford them.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Deadtrek
How many wins does the grade A off season get us this year?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Gepett0
so an offseasons success only depends on immediate results? can you say short sighted ignoramus?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Deadtrek

Based on the off season, I see 71 wins.

A solid D- from me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Deadtrek

Pretty much , last I checked its the MAJOR leagues ,, they play to win.

Being the last major league team to sign a free agent this off season , how helpful was that?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Gepett0

again, you don't know what you are talking about

you think that finishing w/ a 500 record is better even if they mortgage the future to do it...but accepting a bad record for the short term w/ the eye to building long term success that actually has a chance to REALLY do something - thats an unsuccessful offseason to you

you are too short sighted, impatient, and ignorant to actually sit through a rebuild ...which is why the team waited so long to do it - fans like you....and what happened? we wound up w/ one of the oldest and overpaid teams in baseball that required major rebuilding to address its issues

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Deadtrek
Is this our first year of rebuilding or the 3rd???
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Gepett0
it takes more than one season...that you even posted that demonstrates the extent of your ignorance
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • hammr1952
i liked the marcum signing. wished they got cody ross a multi Of that is underrated. i give sandy a B-.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • MetObserver

I think that we should have signed Hamilton, B.J. Upton, and J. Upton.

How is that for a realist plan.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Deadtrek
I am sorry I asked you a question -- didnt realize you could not come up with a answer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Deadtrek
Nice plan -- the Braves managed to do 2/3 of it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • MetObserver
Being the last major league team to sign a free agent this off season , how helpful was that?
-------------------------------------------------
Was there a prize for signing one earlier? Who knew!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Gepett0

A) i didnt say the offseason was perfect

B) i actually feel they should have signed an of but at the same time recognize that there was an argument against every single of on the market (name one and ill tell you why it could have been a terrible signing)

C) in ways it does help in that, by not overpaying for a mediocre player that would have tied up future assets for a season that wouldnt have mattered anyway, it opens up the possiblity of, next season (you know when our young core will actually be w/ the team the entire season) we will have a much larger group of mlb ready prospects that can be offered in trade for players that are set to earn substantial money w/o worrying about having the funds to pay their contracts....you seem to think that its all about one season each offseason...that you pay for 5 seasons for one season of results, completely ignoring the long term ramifications of a short term fix that is usually an overpay

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • kaztast1c

Since you are concerned with those not answering your question, perhaps you would like to answer the OP question first?

Since you seem to be the expert here, what is your expert opinion on what should have been done differently?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Deadtrek

Actually there is -- when you sign someone - other teams cant ( although on this board -- we were somehow still going to trade for bourn ) .. seems to me -- having your choice of all available players makes a better team.

What am I missing there?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Gepett0

ok so who would you have signed and for how much? you still havent answered the question....and i suspect that you really don't even know what each player was paid or realistically how much of an upgrade each player truly was

because talking out your *** w/ nothing to back it up is kind of your thing

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Deadtrek

I would have asked in December about retaining the 11th pick in the draft.

And if the answer was no , I still would have signed Bourn, an all star center fielder for 4-5 years as opposed to a having control over a player for 7 years who has a 20% chance of being a impact player in the major leagues.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/16/13
  • Deadtrek
Sorry I forgot , I would have signed Dickey our cy young award winner, a fan favorite , who wanted to be here also.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • MetObserver

Is this our first year of rebuilding or the 3rd???
------------------------
Yes it is the third year so what is your point? You think they should be finished?

Find a team that was as bad as we were with some terrible contracts and no farm system and let me know how long it took them to become competitive. And get back to me with the results.

The Nationals were purchased in 2006 so how many years did it take them? Were were they after their second year? In 2008 they had a 59-102 record. Oh well they must have done better in 2009. Woops 58-103. Shoot they must have become that power house in the fourth year 2010. Again last but with improvement 69-93. After the 5th year they reach .500 81-80 and had a killer payroll of $66 million they were really spending like crazy.

Guess it takes longer that going into the third year, eh!

• Reply to this Message