• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Would you have dealt Davis for the Upton/Mariners package?
  • To:All
  • 2/16/13
  • stearnsy12

first off,do you think Davis is as valuable as Upton?....the Mariners were looking for a first baseman with some pop even after picking up Kendry Morales to DH,as of now they've got Smoak at first...do you think they'd view Davis as just as valuable as Upton? (and BTW the Mariners are moving their fences in this year)

the deal was for Taijuan Walker,20 years old,and their #1 prospect,Nick Franklin,21 year old middle infielder (#4),Stephen Pryor,23 (#7) a potential closer who can touch triple digits, and Charlie Furbush a 26 year old lefty who had an outstanding year out of the pen

with this deal the Mets could have a bullpen that was outstanding (Furbush,Pryor,Parnell,Edgin,and then even Lyons), perhaps the final stud to add to the '14 rotation to make it Niese,Harvey,Wheeler,Walker,and Syndegaard,and their future second baseman or shortstop in Franklin (Furbush and Pryor would be with us this season,Franklin and Walker next year)

just looking for thoughts and opinions here,AND to make it even more interesting i'd have then signed Adam LaRoche for 3/36 with a 4th option year even if it meant losing the #11 pick after re-loading with this group of three prospects

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • danthemetfan
Could have just moved Duda to 1st and kept the draft pick...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • 4545_ajd
No, just because I am expecting a big season from Ike so if we could have gotten that package this yer just imagine what we would be able to get next off season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • rangers61134465
Yes
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • stearnsy12
yeah,that's reasonable,but after signing David i would have liked to have hastened the "process" of getting back to competing
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • stearnsy12

true,but the Mariners might have been/might be in a different position with different needs next year....

just my opinion of course but i'd have weighed in on the side of doing that deal and then signing LaRoche as the bullpen,starting rotation,and infield would have been set for the forseeable future....

that deal could also make Gee,Fulmer,Montero,Tapia,Murphy,Valdespin,Flores,Familia,and Mejia available for deals to fill out our outfield

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • stearnsy12
yeah,me too....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • danthemetfan
Replacing Davis with LaRouche and getting some minor league talent for next year does not make this year's team better. They are what they are this year, and the hope is next year and 2015 they will shine. If youre deal were made, that notion would not be changed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • joemets22
Why would you want to deal him if he has a big season though? At what point do we actually start keeping our good players?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Kranesback
For Walker....absolutely.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • joemets22
Ike is young and has a higher ceiling than a guy like LaRoche. I want to keep our young guys that succeed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • stearnsy12

but next year's team would be better and our infield,starting rotation,and bullpen would be set while freeing up the names i posted above as assets that we could use to build our outfield

throw in the fact that we'll have more money to spend with Santana,Davis,Buck,and Frankie coming off the books heading into '14 and we'd be in very good shape as an organization IMO

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • stearnsy12
yep,for that package i would do the deal and would have potentially followed that up with the LaRoche signing....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • stearnsy12
Ike is young and has a higher ceiling than LaRoche,i agree,but is he younger and possess a higher ceiling than LaRoche,Walker,Franklin,Pryor,and Furbush?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • stearnsy12

hey,as far as i'm concerned here you can't be wrong

i just think this is an interesting scenario and wonder where people would stand on this

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • thagreat1
remember back in 2013 everyone wanted to trade Davis for Upton Lma.o. Davis is the only met to win MVP and gold glove in same year. Can't believe we almost traded Davis for that has been...oops.. wrong thread and wrong year...back in my time machine I go.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • stearnsy12
just make sure there aren't any flies taking that ride with ya' !!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • thagreat1
i think you're thinking of Transmogrifier
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548384.19 was deleted
  • 2/17/13
  • stearnsy12

sorry,wasn't suggesting that the Mets deal Ike for Upton but was asking whether you think Upton and Davis were of similar value in the context of the Upton/Mariners deal that fell through

the primary question is as the title says: Would you have dealt Ike in a deal to the Mariners for Walker,Pryor,Franklin,and Furbush?

• Reply to this Message