New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• OT: Reyes + Bonifacio ...Talk about speed
  • To:All
  • 2/15/13
  • anthony888

I am SO jealous!!!

Those two guys are going to be so much fun to watch on the base paths.

Almost makes me want to watch the Blue Jays

• Reply to this Message
Message 548376.2 was deleted
  • 2/15/13
  • HundleytheLFer
They were teammates last year too
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • RobfromLI

Why are some people obsessed with the SB?

Who cares about it?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • anthony888

It's not so much the SB itself, it's the effect it has on the opposing pitcher's ability to bear down on our hitters.
For example: Last year, Ike Davis saw nothing but slow breaking junk. He's a FB hitter, and pitchers wouldn't give in. If he had a Guy like Reyes or Bonifacio on base, pitchers' may not want to concede a stolen second and third base. Pitchers can't concentrate on our hitters as well either.

You don't have to have 50 SB.... You just have to let them think you could steal 50 bases.

We have a decent lineup of hitters. But if pitchers can bear down, they're not seeing anything to hit.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Oldfan

Some teams have used that part of the game very well.

The Cards from the 80s with Coleman, Mcgee and Smith and the Rickey Henderson A's teams.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • anthony888

Seriously, how many games have we witnessed Reyes lead off with a single, steal second, rattle the pitcher into walking the batter, stealing third, and scoring a "manufactured run"?

Do you think whether Murphy, Tejada, or DW will see slow junk, with speed on the bases?

I think it's a game changer.

Just my opinion.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • MetObserver
I hope you realize that Bonifacio is their 5th outfielder and will seldom be in the line up with Reyes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • danthemetfan
Speed on the base paths is more than just SB. Look at Trout on the Angels: how often does he go 1st to third on normal base hits to the OF that 95% of runners just hold on at second. Speed forces the issue and makes the defense make extra throws. Extra throws lead to errors, which leads to extra bases, extra outs, and extra runs. Stolen bases are nice if you are successful, but speed kills whenever it is on the bases.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • thebobymon
The SB cures Valley Fever.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • knarf0516
Who cares about it?

Anybody with the mental capacity to comprehend that it is easier to score from second base than from first base.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • murphstates
They let Kelly Johnson go and Bonifacio is projected to be their second bsseman.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • murphstates

Izturis is not the projected starter, Bonifacio is.

www.cbssports.com/mlb/spring-training/lineups

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • MetObserver

Okay but I don't see it. At second base he has a lower fielding average than Murphy does. And Izturis has superior numbers at second throughout his career.

But we will see.

• Reply to this Message