• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• SO COWGILL IS THE SECOND COMING OF DYKSTRA
  • To:All
  • 2/15/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Got to tip your hat to the Mets PR machine after Bourn going away. The Post ran a story where Cowgill is compared by a former coach and manager to Lenny Dykstra. It's in the Post. Rico Brogna, former Mets was his manager in AA. Would have him leadoff sometimes. Says he's the run through a wall kind of guy. There is a little hint in the other quotes about the talent matching the drive, but we shall see. I like the attitude and I like the solid glove. Now he has to produce.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • RobfromLI

When all you have is a hand full of nothing you tend to grasp at straws.

This doesn't really bother me to be honest. Provided I don't hear anyone ever say we have a "five tool" player in the organization, I'll be OK.

The Mets have had more five tool bums than anyone in the history of the game.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • AdrianMonk

He's a juicer?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Yes, the 5 tool label is the kiss of death. I was reading a report on Cory Vaughn where they said he was almost a 5 tools player. Unfortunately, his shortcoming was in contact......
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • marvelousmarvin
The post hasn't concocted that angle yet, or that he's a con artist, tax evader and stock market guru. A real Renaissance Man.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • RobfromLI

It always amazed how someone could be a "five tool" player just because they're avg. at everything.

F. Mart was the most recent and best example, imo. The guy was never great at anything really but he was supposed to be a five tool player.

His contact was OK. His power was so-so. His speed was probably above avg. His defense was OK and his arm was never anything all that impressive.

But ask the Mets and he was a five tool player!

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • marvelousmarvin
It's like the decathlon...greatest athlete but just above average in everything.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • murphstates
Other than Dykstra having played six years in the majors by the time he was Cowgills age I'm sure they're like twins.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • RobfromLI

Ha ha ... that's a great point.

The Mets have the oldest "kids" I've ever seen. Some people like to say they're "unproven" but I personally feel that they're proven because they're closer to 30 than they are 20 and they're still not MLB ready.

Failure to reach the big game is just as much proof as anything else.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • MetObserver
The thing is that F-mart was deemed a 5 tool player when he was signed at the advanced age of 16 He obviously didn't grow into that prediction mainly because of constant injuries that sidelined his chances to advance. Will he ever grow into it? I don't know only more time will tell.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • METMAINEAC

something about wearing the same number. i stopped reading after the first couple of lines..

I skipped past to go to the story where Backman will be our next manager..

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • RobfromLI

F. Mart will be one of those below MLB for life kinds of guys. His career won't even match Jay Peyton's.

Another "five tool" Met.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • thagreat1
I'm sure there are more than a couple handfuls of "Collin Cowgills"in baseball history. A kid puts up pretty good numbers in the minors, gets called up to be platoon for a couple years, not necessarily posting eye popping numbers, (never played more than 39 games in a season), gets traded to a team where he can find consistent playing time, emerges and becomes a star.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • drjoe807
...and Duda is the second coming of Kingman...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • MetObserver

So in your mind if you compare some of the attributes a player has to another player they are suddenly twins. Most people do these comparisons and are not insinuating that the player are identical in every way.

Why don't you cool your negativity until the guy at least has a chance with us.

I know that the same exact criticisms were hurled when Dickey was signed. I know because I read them on this very forum. Too old, a bust for years, Our savior (facetious), and on and on. Until he pitched and everyone shut up quickly. And some were converted and cried foul when he was traded. Proof that you don't know until they have a chance to show you how good or bad they are.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • murphstates

I have the NY Post open to the article right in front of me. The headline is "The New Nails?". Subhead "Mets' outfielder being compared with gritty Dykstra"

Perhaps you should e-mail Mike Puma.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • MetObserver
Compared to and the second nails doesn't in my mind say that they are or will be identical. How many gritty players are compared to other gritty players? That doesn't automatically make them equals in every way. That is all I said and it had nothing to do with the article but with your interpretation of that article.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • nym698641
To be honest, all this talk about being a Dykstra clone have been going on since we traded for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • marvelousmarvin
F-Mart's knees went bad. I also read through the lines that he spent a bit too much time in the bars, even during spring training. In fact, I saw him in one in PSL where it seemed he had already spent too much time that night.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • marvelousmarvin
In Payton's defense, I recall he suffered a few very serious injuries before he even got established as a major leaguer.
  • Reply to this Message