New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Visiting Citi Field
  • To:All
  • 2/15/13
  • visitmets

Hi,

I'm from Belgium and I'll be visiting NYC the end of May with some friends. We would really love to see a home game of the METS. Probably the game against the Reds. Now, when I look at the schedule, there are 3 consecutive game days marked against the same team. I don't understand why there are 3 game days. Is the schedule for May not up to date because it's still too far away?
Or is it because the weather conditions are not known so the game will be played one of these 3 days?
Can someone please clarify this for me?

I've also read that Tickets won't get refunded when the game gets delayed because of bad weather conditions. So I'm wondering if I should wait and buy our tickets on the game day or buy the tickets now or as soon as possible. So what I'm asking is, what do you recommend, buying the tickets as soon as possible (with the risk that the game gets delayed and the tickets are useless) or buying the tickets on game day (so we're sure that we don't have to throw away the tickets but will there still be tickets).

I've tried to ask for help via 'Tickets help' but you can only write a message of 50 characters.

Thanks!

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • Gepett0

in baseball, teams play a series against an opposing team....it goes back to the insanely grueling 162 game season that separates baseball from every other major sport in the world....there are 162 games over the course of only roughly 180 games....needless to say, travel for these games has always been a bit of a concern, particularly since we are talking about cross country road trips

so typically, the season is broken into a number of 3 game series, though sometimes you will have 2 and 4 game series as well...so to answer your initial question, there will actually be 3 separate games played on each of those 3 consecutive days so you can choose whichever fits best into your schedule...you may want to wait to purchase tickets until you can get a better idea of who will be pitching (in that particular series, the best possible matchup would be if say chapman was facing off against harvey), what weather will be like, what else you will be doing. Getting tickets shouldn't be an issue as attendance has been down the last few seasons and there are always reasonably priced (and often great location) tickets available on a site like stub hub or even simply the mets website (i recommend stub hub bc as it gets closer to game day/time, you can often get some great deals on tickets

hope this was helpful and enjoy the game

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • visitmets
Thanks.
It's clear now. I didn't know about the game series. I feel kinda stupid now. :) Seems that I still have a lot to learn about baseball and the MLB.
You've been a great help!
I'll look at the line up before I order my tickets. Do you also know when the line up is released? Weeks before the match or are we talking of days before the match?
Tips are always welcome, like where the great seats are (and that are not too expensive).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • jonsyankees5

Hey there I couldn't help but chime in on your inquiry regarding an upcoming trip to the City and visiting Citi Field (yes I'm a Yankees fan but I come in peace). The lineups for the games aren't set in stone until the day of the game; although you could probably figure out who will be pitching based on the rotation schedule.

As far as seating is concerned, I'd recommend trying to get as close to home plate as possible. If you don't want to spend and arm and a leg, you could probably get a decent seat behind home plate in the upper deck. The Mets have this link where you can get an overview of the pricing as well as a virtual view of each seat to the ballfield.

[http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp]

You'll probably have to wait a few more weeks to purchase your single game tickets anyway, because both the Yankees and Mets have a tendency to wait until the end of February or early March before releasing them to the general public.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • metsheart

This guy from England visited the Mets last June. He saw the one-and-only "no-hitter" in the 51 yr history of the NY Mets!!

Here's the link to his opening post asking for help last year to plan his trip:

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=523323.1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-mets

Might want to read through that discussion thread for good advice/ input. Also you might want to post back to him & ask about his experience.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • METMAINEAC
We get these every year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • METMAINEAC
De Halve Mann...Straffe Hendrik!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • metsheart
That's why I gave him the link to the Englishman from last yr. Figure he can tell him the ins & outs of visiting NY & seeing a Met game better than any of us since he already did it.

And that lucky Englishman saw Johan's no-hitter as his 1st & only MLB game!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Oh and baseball uses the term "game" rather than match. A three game schedule would be considered a "series", not a match either. If you a re crazy enough to get into this great game of baseball, you should start learning the vernacular.

Does anyone know if the sell Stella Artois at Citifield? I suggest mass quantities to dull the pain of your baseball initiation. There is a lot going on you might not catch and it's those little things that make the game interesting.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • METMAINEAC
Thats stuff is garbage, not that you hadnt already insulted the poor guy enough already..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • jonsyankees5
Does anyone else think it's kind of ironic that the only poster in this thread with actual advice directed specifically to the poster regarding his trip to Citi Field is a Yankees fan?
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 548357.12 through 548357.13 were deleted
  • 2/15/13
  • robrock30

Welcome to NYC which is usually lovely in May weather wise. May-June & Christmas are my favorite times in the city. According to the schedule you are looking at Monday & Tuesday 20th & 21st 7 PM games or Wed. afternoon 22nd at 1 PM which is a promotion day from Dunkin Donuts.

I recommend if you want to be savvy, do not purchase the tickets from the Mets. Go to http://www.stubhub.com/ & buy them there. It is very reputable and convenient as you can print them off.

Citi Field is beautiful and you can walk around the park & take alot of it in. The Mets are not what you call a hot commodity right now so you can wait, review the weather forecasts, and pick up very inexpensive tickets (way below face value) close to the scheduled game.

PS Check out the old World's Fair Grounds which is home to the US Open Tennis event Labor Day weeks which is adjacent to Citi Field.

If you need any other advice feel free to contact me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • metsheart
I sent him a link to a previous thread where many of his questions were already answered by MET FANS. And where he could post to another European guy that did last yr what he's planning to do this yr.

My ADVICE to you is read what's been posted before making comments that are factually incorrect.

Edited 2/15/13   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • robrock30
By the way if the game is rained out, your ticket has value and can be exchanged for another date.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/15/13
  • marvelousmarvin
In what way? Educating him on the terms of the game?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • visitmets
Metmaineac,
I see that you love our Belgian beers. ;) You've got it almost right, it's actually made by 'De halve maan' maybe it was just a typo? It's translation is 'the half moon'.
It's good to know that our home products gets appreciation all over the world. :)

Edited 2/18/13   by  visitmets
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • visitmets
Thanks for the help. I'll look into the post of the Englishman.
I'll be following your advice on buying the tickets.
You've all been a great help!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • nutz4pugs

"If you a re crazy enough to get into this great game of baseball, you should start learning the vernacular."

Considering the fact that he's from a country that speaks French, his English is excellent, his grammar better than a lot of the cretins that swarm this site and is generally well-spoken here, his lack of proper vernacular regarding the game of baseball can be overlooked.

Let's face it, we're inundated with baseball terms from March into November, he isn't. Let's cut him a little slack.

• Reply to this Message