• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• FRED's SPEECH
  • To:All
  • 2/13/13
  • 86kid

Wilpon seems sincere to me too. He's just about always spent among the Top teams in payroll before, so I think there is a ton more reason to believe him, than not. If his finances have truly cleared up, then I see no reason why he wouldn't spend more going forward.

Under Sandy, I think there will be a lot more prudence on how we spend, and we are still going to be building our core this year. But next year we will be out from under the bad contracts (even though we still owe Bay ) but next winter is the time to be more active in adding those extra pieces around the core.

All this said, until they go out and make a significant signing or two next winter, Fred's words are still hollow to many of the fans here. And while I tend to believe he was sincere today, I won't totally buy the bill-of-goods from him until there are actions to back up the words.

My in my gut I think there are good things ahead for us Mets fans. I think there is good progress with these young core players to be excited and hopeful about, and also now some reason to at least have some hope ( all be it reserved ) that we will be bigger player in the market next winter

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • skorpio520

ive heard it too many times though. ive said it all offseason, and ill repeat it now.

im waiting til next offseason to make any determination of what their plans are.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • mysticpiazza

Look, I get it. We're all tired of the drama with this team. The uncertainty of the future. The change of the weather as the days start getting longer and warmer. ST's begun, and most of us just want to get on with a new season and see what we have in a cast of nobodys because we can't wait for baseball to begin and we've already accepted the Mets for what they are, looking forward to the utopian days of 2014 and beyond. It's baseball fever! Catch it!

Fred wants to sell us all on what the Mets are not. And, THAT, my friends, is downright insulting. He's a charlatan. It's what he does best. He sells the waiting game better than anybody. Frankly, I'm amazed that so many fans and the media buy this nonsense season after season. But, you know, "You Gotta Believe."

Edited 2/14/13   by  mysticpiazza
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • burningmyeyes
In my opinion, it is time for Fred to put up or shut up. There is no more benefit of the doubt for these pompus owners. Even when he tries to be sincere in an interview he comes across arrogant and uncaring. Personall, I take anything he or Sandy say as just smoking mirrors at this point. Great plan, wait until there are NO more impact players left to sign to say how we have plenty of money. Appaling how low this FO will go to insult our intelligence. Again, I truly believe they think they are much smarter then us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • elsid1986
I don't believe a word the man says.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • 86kid

That's fair. I have no arguement with doing that.

I see what Sansy is doing in terms if the game plan, but as for Fred, I let the actions speaks rather than just accepting his rosey open wallet proclamation.

I don't expect then to go on any wild reckless shopping sprees next winter, but I do expected t them to add a couple of key guys through free agency and trades.

They should be prudent moves made to address 2014, but also the long term. Guys who fit the plan.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • 86kid

Even though I see this as a 4th place team that will need career years out of some guys just to be .500, I am very excited for the season. Excited to see the continued progress of Harvey, Ike. Neise and others. Excited to see Wheeler and TDA come up mid-season

Fred and talk all he wants to, but actions next winter are what is going to count. I don't think Fred is the snake oil salesmen that you appear to see him as. I think Fred is a fan of the game and really does want to win. I just think he's been oft time flawed in his approach, and likely believes in his head what he said - but that doesn't mean he'll do it ... Lol

Actions will have to follow Fred's words. You, me and many us of use - whether koolaides or skeptics, won't filly accept the words it until we see it next winter.

But again, he does have a esume if being among the top spenders almost every year in the past before his finanical problems, so I'm more inclined to believe it will happen than not - but won't totally buy it until it starts happening .

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Remember86
I agree Fred Wilpon is a big baseball fan. Seemed like a good guy to have as an owner to me when I'd watch him recount his history with Sandy Koufax on Channel 9 in the 80s. However, now that 26 years have passed since he assumed majority ownership of the team, and we've been to two NLCS's, one World Series and one other postseason, I don't see him the same way. And by the way, I'm not suggesting you do either. However, to me it isn't just a money thing. He's spent alot of money on the major league club for much of his ownership. He didn't spend enough on the minor league component during too much of that time. I think the latter is an example of the shortsightedness he's shown as the owner of the club. And since the team has languished at home in October far too many times, I think his ownership can be called a failure in general. So, whether he allows Alderson to spend money or not, I can't say I'm terribly confident about the resulting teams. I believe Alderson COULD be an excellent GM for us. But we had an excellent GM in Frank Cashen who got us a World Championship and then suddenly seemed to lose his brain in one fellswoop once Mr. Wilpon took over. Coincidence or not? Plus we've got "Junior" to deal with now. I just really don't know. Can a winner, and not just a winner, but a perennial winner be put together? Or will we get another one to three year period ala 2006-2008 where we're contending and even make it in once and then nothing for quite some time (as has been the history under Fred)?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • 86kid

>>>"In my opinion, it is time for Fred to put up or shut up. There is no more benefit of the doubt for these pompus owners. Even when he tries to be sincere in an interview he comes across arrogant and uncaring. Personall, I take anything he or Sandy say as just smoking mirrors at this point. Great plan, wait until there are NO more impact players left to sign to say how we have plenty of money. Appaling how low this FO will go to insult our intelligence. Again, I truly believe they think they are much smarter then us."<<<

Well, I don't think it's a matter of Fred trying to prove he's smarter than us, or any great conspriecy. I think it's that owner of a business just coming out and putting his future and the future of his product in a positive light. I think most any business owner is going to do that.

Whether Fred truely believes his finanical issues are behind him or not, only he knows what in his mind. Maybe he really believes what he is saying... At least for now. Lol

But I think we I can agree, like I've said before, I'll totally believe it when I totally see it. I don't get hung up on words - be they positive or negative. What sells are going to be the actions, not the words.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • 86kid

>>>"I don't believe a word the man says."<<<

That's fair enough I guess. I can't totally blame some if they feel that way. My feeling with Fred's words, are just about the same with most sports people's words - I wait and see if the actions back up the words.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • 86kid

>>>"I agree Fred Wilpon is a big baseball fan. Seemed like a good guy to have as an owner to me when I'd watch him recount his history with Sandy Koufax on Channel 9 in the 80s. However, now that 26 years have passed since he assumed majority ownership of the team, and we've been to two NLCS's, one World Series and one other postseason, I don't see him the same way. And by the way, I'm not suggesting you do either. However, to me it isn't just a money thing. He's spent alot of money on the major league club for much of his ownership. He didn't spend enough on the minor league component during too much of that time. I think the latter is an example of the shortsightedness he's shown as the owner of the club. And since the team has languished at home in October far too many times, I think his ownership can be called a failure in general. So, whether he allows Alderson to spend money or not, I can't say I'm terribly confident about the resulting teams. I believe Alderson COULD be an excellent GM for us. But we had an excellent GM in Frank Cashen who got us a World Championship and then suddenly seemed to lose his brain in one fellswoop once Mr. Wilpon took over. Coincidence or not? Plus we've got "Junior" to deal with now. I just really don't know. Can a winner, and not just a winner, but a perennial winner be put together? Or will we get another one to three year period ala 2006-2008 where we're contending and even make it in once and then nothing for quite some time (as has been the history under Fred)?"<<<

Well stated bro. I agree with everything you said. Fred ownership of this team has clearly been a failure during his time. Whether he allows Sandy to spend more or not, the questions will be just as much about whether they will allow Sandy to do his thing without interference.

I tend to think they will, because Sandy I think the most experienced and respected executive they have had here since Frank Csshen. I don't see Sanfy being the type to allow himself to be pushed around by Fred, and certainly not by Jeff. I think Sandy would gladly leave if it got like that.

But again, all this is just speculation. Fred's actions have to back up his words, and Sandy must have free reign to continue to build this thing the way he sees fit - which so far is looking pretty much to be well on its way at this point with putting a core in place...Etc. but when the time comes to add those extra key veteran pieces, Fred has to put up or shut up.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/16/13
  • pepsidog

Fred lies so much that he does not know how to tell the truth anymore.

The mets will never win a championship as long as the Wilpons own the team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • JoseJose

The evolution of the lying:

When the KRod money comes off the books...

When the Beltran money comes off the books...

When the Jose money comes off the books...

When the Ollie money comes off the books...

When the Slappy money comes off the books...

From Sandy:

Payroll will be...

Payroll will be...

Payroll will be... (to be honest I forget how many times he outright lied abut that). And now...

When the Johan money comes off the books...

When the Bay money comes off the books...

When the prospects all pan out...

For me, when I get lied to multiple times from the same person/source, I don't trust that source. They are frauds and liars. The best possible trade for our team would be if we could trade the Wilpons for a bag of balls.

Edited 2/16/13   by  JoseJose
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • JoseJose
Exactly. You can see Fred's and Spindy's noses grow as they speak. Funny how just after the offseason and their predictable failure at getting a needed leadoff hitter/outfielder, Fred says they can spend. How dumb does he think Met fans are? Notice also how the egomaniacal Fred also couldn't resist rubbing in our faces how well his family is doing, while he tanked the season for our team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • 86kid

>>>"The mets will never win a championship as long as the Wilpons own the team."<<<

You better that is not the case. If his finances are really back on track, then he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • pepsidog

it is the case and it is really sad and depressing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • 86kid

I am going to remain hopeful that Fred and Jeff will stay out of things and let Sandy do his thing.

It makes no sense to spend your time stressing over Wilpon's too much. They arent going anywhere.

I have no lost love for them either, but I can think of worst owners to have, and I'm not going to waste too much time sweating over them. Nothing I can do about them.

I just try and find the positives I can find in the situation, rather than being depressed and miserable about it.

I am excited about the new season even though we are likely to finish 4th . lol

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • Haldane
IMHO, Fred is unscrupulous. I believe he stabbed Doubleday in the back and stole the team (Nelson thinks so too). He got away with it because of his friendship with the equally unscrupulous Bud Selig. I believe that, if we had a real commissioner, Fred and Jeff would have been booted for their involvement with the Madoff affair. Since we have no such thing, Fred will continue to own the team for the foreseeable future. I root for the team and for Fred's selling it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/16/13
  • JoseJose
I think you are right, and Met fans suffer for their cheating/lying.
  • Reply to this Message