• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Who is our greatest hope in the outfield?
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
I am not devastated about not getting Bourn, I think we need a younger, cheaper, more durable version of him. As much as people will say speed does not slump, when it comes to guys whose production is based on speed, it is safe to say that by 33 they will not be the same player. I have been happy with what Alderson has been doing for the most part, but think that his inability to bring in a solid outfielder can be seen as as shortcoming. If you are rebuilding a team, you start from the middle, you can't leave a key position wide open for a bucket of balls to compete for. If Den Dekker is that good of a glove I would just play him, at least he can give us plus defense. I am tired of watching guys like Baxter, Turner, Duda..these guys are barely major leaguers and have limited upside. Hairston was better then anyone we have out there now. Waiting for Nimmo...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

Waiting for Nimmo

See ya in 2016

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • lllfxlll
This could have been Alderson's best non move. No chance in he.ll you risk a 1st round pick for a player like Bourn. He's a solid player but nothing great.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"If Den Dekker is that good of a glove I would just play him, at least he can give us plus defense. I am tired of watching guys like Baxter, Turner, Duda..these guys are barely major leaguers and have limited upside."

I think Duda has a ton more upside than people are giving him credit for, the odds of him reaching that potential though is still unknown.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
People look at Duda's size and think he is going to hit 40 home runs a year. Personally, I think he is going to be the Mike Pelfrey of the outfield. He isn't so young either, 27 this year I think. We need to get more athletic out there, especially in Citi field.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Deadtrek
Isnt it this years 11th pick in the draft???
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"People look at Duda's size and think he is going to hit 40 home runs a year."

His size is a factor but not the only thing they look at, Duda puts on an absolute show in the batting cages and Ike Davis has readily admitted that Duda has more power than him, he's had very good seasons in AAA and had a good year in 2011 he just needs to be able to be more consistant in teh majors.

• Reply to this Message
Message 548286.8 was deleted
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
Of course they do. I believe pitching is always the way to go in the draft, you can always get a bat down the line, unless you are the Mets right now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • burningmyeyes
Drafting another pitcher? Not a bad thing but we REALLY need help in the Outfield. Even Nimmo was a MAJOR risk considering the low level ball he came from playing. We will see in a few years. If this FO is wrong on ANY of these prospects they are banking on, we are DOOMED!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1
Greatest hope? Flores.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • MetObserver

The scouts have been saying that Den Dekker is ML ready with his glove but needs a better approach with the bat. He does have some power but k's too much but his OBP has been okay. It does seem that after a 1/2 season or so he does catch up and take off so he is not someone to be forgotten. He should excel in Vegas this year if he isn't forced into action with the Mets this year.

Consider that he has only had 3 minor league seasons and has worked his way to AAA. He will only be 25 this year. I believe that he still has the potential to be a good center fielder.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • AdrianMonk

I agree.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
I agree, they would have been better off giving Bourn's money to Reyes. We need a few young position players now to compliment the young pitching...then you go all in and sign a big bat to put you over..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • burningmyeyes
That seems to be the overwhelming problem with the Mets farm system, an abundance of strike outs. All our up and coming prospects have the same story. Den Decker, Newenheis, Duda. Maybe its a problem with the coaching staff down there that should be looked at?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
I think one of the problems is when I hear "he is a guy without a position"..give him a position, let him play, and coach him to get him better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • MetObserver
It is a trend throughout baseball it appears. Just look at the Braves outfield all three of them strike out more than our home town "whiffboy" as some call him. One outfield with 450 Ks is a lot for one team. Since home runs are the 'wow' factor in baseball the harder they try to hit them the more swings and misses they get.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
Yeah, it seems like everyone wants to hit home runs nowadays instead of playing to their strengths. Tejada is a kid who knows where he is as a player, that is why I think he will be our shortstop for the next 5 or ten years if can can stay healthy. I just wish he was a little faster out of the box, but his game is solid.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Deadtrek

Home run hitters drive Cadillacs, and singles hitters drive Fords.

Ralph Kiner

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986
Who is our greatest hope? Brandon Nimmo -2017
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
JSAngel: Trout a Fraud
Latest by comeagain - 5:15 PM
Secret Service Threatened Mr. Met's Life
Latest by MetObserver - 5:14 PM
Factoids Redux
Latest by thagreat1 - 5:12 PM
Secret Service threatened to shoot Mr. Met
Latest by dumpsandy - 5:07 PM
Dickey went limp
Latest by govmule72 - 5:03 PM
Cubs
Latest by metsheart - 5:02 PM
Home Field Disadvantage
Latest by elguapo111 - 4:47 PM
Favorite Easter Basket Candy
Latest by jereviens - 4:34 PM
Remember when we were 0-3 and everybody overreacted?
Latest by roywriter - 4:24 PM
It's still early
Latest by sheadro - 3:59 PM