New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• JV AND LUTZ TO GET OF ABS
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012

Both these guys have potential,

I think JV could be the guy we have been missing since Reyes left, In 191 ABS he had 8 HRS, 10 SB, 28 Runs and 26 RBI and most of that came off the bench, If he can do that for a full season we are looking at something like 25 HRS, 30 SB, 90 and 80,

Can he do it for a full season? He is just 25 and has hit for power and speed at every level of the minors, In 342 ABS between the minors and Flushing he has 13 HRS and 20 SBs.

Lutz has shown some good power in the minors, 11 HRS 18 doubles in 274 Minor league ABS, And a .496 SLG, he has hit at every level in the minors can at 26 years old he break into the majors?

Two guys to watch,

If they can hit at this level a big league Of of Duda, Lutz and JV might not be anywhere near as bad as people think, Are they all stars? no not yet could they be? Maybe, Could they be decent major leaguers? I think they have a chance.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

Both career infielders. What makes you think they could even be average defensively? And before you jump all over me Collins was quoted today as saying he wants a strong defensive outfield because the pitching staff pitches to contact.

In that outfield you mentioned Duda might be the best defender. How scary is that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

*I think JV could be the guy we have been missing since Reyes left*

JV has all the physical tools, but do you ever read what is written about his intangibles? Or do you just look at stats? JV has the baseball IQ of a 5 year old. Yes he was good off the bench and that may be his best role. Because in games where he had 3-4 ab's he didn't do much.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Both career infielders. What makes you think they could even be average defensively? "

We will have to wait to find out, won't be the first case of a career infielder being able to play adequately in the outfield.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

won't be the first case of a career infielder being able to play adequately in the outfield

If you know of 1 please tell me. Because I tried and couldnt think of a single 1. All I could think of was Juan Samuel, Daniel Murph, Dave Magadan, Todd Hundley.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
Well on Buffs site JV is listed and an OF/3rd but Lutz is listed as 3B.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
At 25 he can learn those intangibles, If memory serves those same things were said about Reyes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • AdrianMonk

Remind me again who JV is, if you would. Drawing a blank.

edit:

Oh yeah, Valdy. C'mon now, he can't play defense anywhere.

Edited 2/12/13   by  AdrianMonk
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

At 25 he can learn those intangibles

Maybe. But he should learn them in the minors not playing in a major league outfield. And there have been reports that he is not the most coachable guy in the world either.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
Ever hear of Robin Yount?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
jordanny valdespin
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

Ever hear of Robin Yount?

Good point, and Biggio now that I think about it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd
A recent example is Bryce Harper who was a catcher growing up and he did a pretty good job last year in the outfield for the Nationals.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
Why do you think he cant?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
Rick Ankiel... Miguel Cabrera (until he returned to the infield) Pujols played LF for a while after playing 3rd before moving to 1st. Chipper Jones played a season or two in LF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • frank2475
4th place
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
Work in progress.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • metsnation
Valdespin ran into a few homeruns. He had a sub 300 OBP and a 220 average. He is a bench player. His minor league #s aren't that great either
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • AdrianMonk

He doesn't have the coordination for it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • gomets66

Well on Buffs site JV is listed and an OF/3rd but Lutz is listed as 3B. >>>>

lutz has never played the OF and he is a lousy 3B. big and slow. basically another dh. he isnt even mentioned as a top 20 met prospect. him, duda and valdy would be a dreadful outfield. horrendous would work also.

shows what the mets think of their current outfielders that they are even considering trying lutz and turner out there.

Edited 2/12/13   by  gomets66
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
fernando rodney
Latest by metsheart - 3:28 PM
Music Thread II
Latest by vbch - 3:28 PM
Tonight's Lineup
Latest by GoMets6986 - 3:26 PM
Cubs
Latest by metsheart - 3:22 PM
Musician Name Game