• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Parnell is the closer...
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • lllfxlll
o boy. he was awful as a closer last year!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
Where do you see that? Francisco is entering ST as the closer, and the likely replacement is Lyon. Parnell should not be the closer unless things go really badly.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • fargol
TC said it and Francessa asked him to confirm.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
Come opening day, I dont think he will be the closer. but i guess no one asked me...
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548283.5 was deleted
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

well franky is already shut down...doesnt bode well for him

still, i think ultimately lyon gets the closer job (at least OD if franky isnt ready) and parnell slides into set up duty....

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • fargol

"Come opening day, I dont think he will be the closer. but i guess no one asked me."

Who would you want?

Parnell has the stuff to be a closer. 8K/9 inning, only .5 HR per 9, also a good K/BB ratio. He needs to get his head on right for those kinds of pressure situations.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • BigTon
I've watched this guy pitch from day one.They said the same thing about him as a starter,and he couldn't pull that off.A closer in another league maybe,but the N.L. already has his number.I can see Howard,Rollins,Zimmerman and Harper all licking there chops at the prospect of facing this guy in the 9th.Parnell is a middle reliever at best.

Edited 2/12/13   by  BigTon
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd
Actually I don't think he was that bad closing games last year. Previous years yes but last year he was actually decent in limited opportunities.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
Parnell has the stuff to be a closer, but not the head. As I said in my first post, if its not Francisco I think it will be (should be) Lyon.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548283.11 was deleted
  • 2/12/13
  • BigTon
I don't think so.Parnell and Pelfrey are the same kinds of animals.Both had potential but lacked mental toughness.

Edited 2/12/13   by  BigTon
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1
Parnell>Pelfrey
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • BigTon
For the sake of the team i hope he does perform well in the closer role,but i don't see it happening.Why was he removed from the closer role last year?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
I can't stand guys lke Parnell, tons of ability, but unable to concentrate or get better. I wish he would develop a real breaking ball.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • _BigNick
His best results came in the ninth last year.

Anyway, was our best reliever last year, and last three years. I don't like the idea of a closer - like using your best when you need to, not saving them for something that may never happen, but eh, at least this shows they at least value Parnell.

If he keeps his walk rate down, and continues to develop his breaking stuff, can be even better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • fargol

Parnell's ERA in the 9th inning last year was 1.90. He was also solid in the 7th and 8th innings.

He was pretty bad in early innings (6th and earlier).

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • metthunder
Parnell thinks so, did you see the thick beard, hah
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • brianinwi

Amen to that. I think the whole "closer pitches the ninth" mentality has got to go. If the toughest part of the opposing lineup comes up in the 7th or 8th inning, you put your best pitcher on the mound against them. If that means your third best reliever pitches the ninth when it's the bottom of the order, so be it.

Free agents would be more fairly compensated if MLB abolished the meaningless "win," "save" and "hold" stats entirely.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • BigTon
Parnell saved 7 ,blew 5 with 18 holds.I like the 18 holds.
  • Reply to this Message