• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Every team has a weak link
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1
Ours happens to be our outfield... You can't tell me with a straight, non defeatist, face that you are at all worried about our starting pitching or infield or bullpen for that matter (as hit and miss as bullpens are we could very easily have a decent bullpen this year). And last year Duda was sent down for a month and played horribly whe was up but still gave us 15 home runs. So if he plays a full year and the best of his abilities 20-25 home runs is in no way a stretch. As for Cowgill, we don't know him from a hole in the wall. He can very well put up nice numbers. Even if he doesn't 1-6 in the lineup is very formidable. Tejada, Murphy, Wright, Davis, TDA, and a 20 home run Duda strikes fear in most national league teams. Even without Bourn, we can still be the surprise team of the year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thebobymon

And you know what that means?

Our OF is going to overperform and we will be cussing our pitching.

Tell me that doesn't sound Mets.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"And you know what that means?

Our OF is going to overperform and we will be cussing our pitching.

Tell me that doesn't sound Mets."

Pretty much, in recent years it's everyone thinks we will have an Ok to good offense and our pitching would stink, then just the opposite happens.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thebobymon

Yup.

I just want them to finish strong.

Not sure that is an expectation.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

our outfield is pretty putrid...i was really hoping they'd do SOMETHING in the offseason to address it....but they didnt....i would expect that not one of our outfielders will post a positive war season, as all are basically average triple a players

and im sorry but duda is not striking fear into ANY opposing team, even if he does somehow manage to hit 20 hrs...which i don't think he will bc most of those 15 came BEFORE the league totally figured him out by june

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thebobymon

I wouldn't say putrid, just unproven.

Very unproven.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"and im sorry but duda is not striking fear into ANY opposing team, even if he does somehow manage to hit 20 hrs...which i don't think he will bc most of those 15 came BEFORE the league totally figured him out by june'

I don't think it was so much the league figuring him out rather then him slumping and being lost. And I think his high side is much better than 20 HRs, he needs to figure himself out though first.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

no...i think putrid is the word i was going for

unproven would mean that we have players w/ potential to be good...young prospects....like tda & wheeler are unproven....but i expect good things

duda is proven....to be bad....the other guys have very limited upside, kirk and mdd included

there is not one OF on this team that I would reasonably expect to ever be an above average contributor...that's pretty bad....

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • gilforhof
Putrid is way too strong a word. I'll go with unproven too, for now. Maybe bad later. Or maybe, I am very surprised by what they are doing. Have to watch them play first and see what happens before we call them the bubonic plague.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

there is where we disagree

i just don't see him ever putting it all together...if he proves me wrong, great

but right now, i see him as a below average dh who at his best might put up a 250/320/425 line w/ about 15-20 hr while playing the worst of defense in the league...in other words a fairly ineffective player

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd
I can't tell you whether or not he will or won't put ti all together, but If he does I think the potential is there to blow past those numbers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • johnyringo
If Sandy would have jsut gotten Hamilton we wouldnt be in this mess
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan

The outfield is awful! The last time the OF was this bad was 1999. That was a pretty good team actually, but the outfield blew.

Forget the negatives for a minute... its baseball time and who knows what will happen? Lets go Mets!

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1
If a guy plays a full season and puts up putrid numbers then you can call him whatever you like. This doesn't apply to our young guys
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1
Excellent point Danthe. Proof in the pudding even if an outfield is below average the team can still do well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

duda's had more than a full season...he is pretty bad

kirk is really a fourth of and thats what scouts have said about him for the past 3 years

how bout this - find one scouting report on any one of our ofers that suggest they are more than a dh or 4th of and i will reconisder

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"The last time the OF was this bad was 1999. "

Actually the last time the outfield was this bad was last year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"duda's had more than a full season...he is pretty bad"

He has had one good season one bad season so to use the fact that he has had more than one season and then just focus on his production from the bad season is not fair to him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0
hes never had a good full season...hes had seasons where he has stretches of being productive...there is a difference...he can't adjust to what pitchers do to get him out after theyve seen him
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan

Oh c'mon you are spoiling my fun...

BTW, this OF should be better than last year. No Bay, no Torres, and did I mention no Bay?

• Reply to this Message