• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• ANY CHANCE BOURN GETS TRAED TO THE METS?
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012

Any chance the Tribe signed Bourn just to trade him to the Mets to avolide the pick situation?

I know another poster I think metsheart was asking about a sign and trade and I find it funny that the tribe signed him for the exact amount the mets were offering and he wanted to be a Met, Yes he would have had to wait a couple more weeks for the draft pick to be worked out but I am starting to wonder, People around the game are saying this is a very stange signing for the Tribe and now they most likely will need to trade stubbs, Soooooo maybe just maybe this was a way around the whole draft pick thing, Not sure where the tribe picks this comming draft but who knows?

Would be very funny if in a few days we hear of a trade, Not likely and a total fantasy I know but hey ya just never know.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Kranesback
Yes...along with Hamilton and McCutcheon..then our outfield will be set.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • piazzaspstache
None. No chance.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • metsheart

"ANY CHANCE BOURN GETS TRAED TO THE METS?"

Posed this very same question last week in thread called "Can teams do sign and trades in MLB?"

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=548141.70&nav=messages&webtag=ml-mets

from my post #73 today on that thread:

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=548141.73&nav=messages&webtag=ml-mets

Cleveland is DESPERATE for pitching. They allowed 845 runs last yr. Only MLB team that allowed more was Colorado (890 RA) -- and they have an excuse. Cleveland had expressed interest in signing Edwin Jackson but after signing Swisher indicated Jackson would be too expensive. Jackson signed on January 5th w/ Cubs for 4 yrs/ $52M ($13M/ yr). Very close to the same $$$/ yrs Bourn's being signed for. So what changed for Cleveland as far as $$$/ yrs in the last month? And why sign ANOTHER OF when you REALLY need PITCHING???

IF-IF-IF this is a sign & trade deal isn't this how it would play out?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • gilforhof
And the plot thickens. Its a very underhanded way of doing business, so it could be a very valid thought. Is Bernie anywhere around?????????
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
To trade for Bourn now would probably cost more than the equivalent of the 11th pick. If the Mets do make that trade now, there is no reason to think they have any brains whatsoever. So unless Cleveland takes 1 player, of near no value, this is not happening.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • mobeen

If they consider trading Bourn, it won't be for just cash right? So they will want talent back - probably a top tier SP from our farm system. Why would the Mets do that? I am sure what Cleveland would want for Bourn would be more valuable than the 11th pick from the Mets.

How does that make any sense for the Mets - they might as well have signed Bourn and try to fight for the pick.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • mobeen
yup my point exactly - people come up with all sort of hypothetical situation without thinking about it. Unless the Cleveland owner is in bed with the Mets owner, why would cleveland want to trade bourn for nothing short of a top tier prospect or someone like a Niese.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • metsheart
"To trade for Bourn now would probably cost more than the equivalent of the 11th pick"

Don't think keeping Familia or Mejia is better than having 11th overall pick. And Mets won't have to give up draft pool $$$ to get Bourn either.

See article:

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2012/12/27/are-sign-and-trades-coming-to-baseball/

"Are sign and trades coming to baseball?"

"I do think the observation that teams could really be weary of losing money from their draft pool, more so than the actual pick itself"
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • govmule72

"Yes...along with Hamilton and McCutcheon..then our outfield will be set."

We're getting Trout too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • metsheart
"why would cleveland want to trade bourn for nothing short of a top tier prospect or someone like a Niese?"

Because Clevelnad pitching REEKS!! Gave up 2nd most runs in MLB after Colorado -- and Rox have an excuse. Indians 2012 starting pitchers ERA was 5.25.

If Mets offered Familia or Mejia (both of which want to start not relieve) or McHugh + A or AA pitcher (NOT among top prospects like Syndergaard, Fullmer, Mazzoni, etc) for Bourn would you do that trade?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
Yes it would, gottan wonder:>)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
HA HA He is driving the get a way car:>)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
Was the tribe picking 11th?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012

Maybe or maybe they have another player with a high contract they want to tradee?

Just thinking maybe they have a mid rotation pitcher making 13 Mill and would like to free up money maybe they package Bourn and said pitcher to the Mets for Gee, Getting a better pitcher making nothing then they go after whats his name the last FA needing draft comp,

They get two starting pitchers and save money, Just a crazy thought.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
BTW That last FA needing draft Comp I forget the pitchers name is also a borass client so HMMMMM
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
The Mets pick 11th, and thats why they didnt sign Bourn. And the pitcher you cant think of is Kyle Loshe.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012

I was just thinking what if they have a mid rotation starter making decent money if as you said before money is an issue for them maybe they trade usd Bourn and that pitcher we take on the whole contract of both and send them Gee, They then go out and sign Loash (whatever the spelling) the last remaining FA needing draft comp and also a borass cleint, They improve two spots int the rotation and most likely dont raise payroll much at all.

Just thinking crazy:>)

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012

Yes the mets do but where does the tribe pick?

Think about what I layed out, Tribe sends us Bourn and a mid rotation high paid starter, Mets send Gee and take on both contracts, Tribe then goes out and signs Loshe,

They upgraded two spots in the rotation without raising payroll that much.

Just a crazy thought.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
So the Mets go and take on unecessary payroll, and weaken their rotation just to get bourn? Once again, it would have been easier to just sign him.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
This just keeps getting better. lol
Latest by METCITILES - 12:00 PM
satisfied Mets fan
Latest by roywriter - 11:58 AM
Are we ahead of the curve?
Latest by metrebel - 11:58 AM
EYoung: One Incredible trend and one projection
Latest by stearnsy12 - 11:57 AM
fernando rodney
Latest by murphstates - 11:55 AM
Hitting better? Why?
Latest by sb51 - 11:55 AM
Favorite Easter Basket Candy
Latest by AdrianMonk - 11:54 AM
This Day In Sports History
Latest by hlandrith - 11:48 AM
We have a big-time Closer problem going forward (IMO)...
Latest by roywriter - 11:40 AM
Factoids Redux
Latest by thagreat1 - 11:33 AM