• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• DISAPOINTED BUT WHAT NOW?
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012

Well it stinks knowing that he wanted to be here and they wanted him and money was not the issue, That said atleast we know they are willing to invest, And maybe now Sandy goes out and makes a move? CoCo could still fill that void for us, There are only a couple of guys on the FA market left, G.rady wont be ready till mid season but Id sign him anyway it gives the kids a chance to show what they have and whoever is the weak link gets removed once G.rady is ready, Posednick althought I am not sure if he is still a FA, Can Abreru be a fit? (Did he retier?) Can he still play the OF?

Maybe we need to see what the kids have and we can always make a move mid season.

Not happy but so be it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Kranesback
What now? A battle with Miami for 4th place.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

That said atleast we know they are willing to invest,

You know this how? Because they say so? They made a contingent offer they knew would not be accepted. Also, articles this morning, Ken Davidoff in the NY Post for one said Bourne preferred Cleveland because they are closer to contention. As for making a move now, when was the last time a guy with real talent was traded during Spring training?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

Maybe we need to see what the kids have and we can always make a move mid season,

The kids are all 4th outfielders at best, thats what they have. They will be sellers in mid season not buyers. The plan all along was 2014 and beyond, 2013 has always been a throw away year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • AdrianMonk

Relax and go with what we have. How bad could it be? The new guys have had some experience at the major league level and while they weren't great didn't exactly embarrass themselves. Their minor league stats suggest some ability. Duda is going to be around no matter what, and he's either going to give us more of the same or hopefully step up a bit.

I'm not sure what it achieves bringing in Crisp or some other older player for the year. We will look better on paper for awhile, but Matt dD or Kirk could provide the same sort of thing, and in the case of Crisp, more power. If we go with players we have, we are developing value for the team rather than just leasing it.

Edited 2/12/13   by  AdrianMonk
Edited 2/12/13   by  AdrianMonk
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • joemets22
Don't kid yourself dude. The Wilpons were the happiest people on the planet that the draft pick ruling didn't go their way. Now they don't have to spend $50 mil to improve the team. They are grinning ear to ear right now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
Well if you want to sit there and think they did this whole thing as a show just for fans like yourself go ahead I see no sense in even entertaining that idea.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012

Simple question how the heII do you know what therse kids are? What qualifies you to even comment on what they are? Have you read their souting reports? Watched them for more then a few hundred ABS? Do you ahve any clue or just your as always negitive view that everything the mets have stinks?

Really want to know what you have that makes you think you A) Have any clue what they are and B) Makes you think you are anyone to judge baseball talent?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
Co Co gives us a proven lead off hitter at worst, Maybe he leadsa this team maybe he becomes a valued trade chip mid season but if he comes cheap why not?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012
And you know this how?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • gilforhof
Just go with what we have and see if there is any improvement there. I'm against getting a player just for the sake of a new face in the OF. Abreu is older, defense was never a high note with him, less so now. Sizemore is a mid season replacement, if that. Theres not much out there that is any better than what we already have. I want them to be competitive in 2013 as much as anyone, but we know 2014 is the year where its "supposed" to start clicking. The "kids" just might surprise us. As bad as SA has talked about them, maybe/hopefully/etc they take that as a challenge. If not, its musical OFers for the year. As much as I dislike it, I can live with it (for this year only).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

Do I know personally what they are? No, but neither do you. I have read innumerable articles about what other baseball executives think of them. First off, Cowgil, Duda, Baxter are not kids in baseball terms. They are all 27-28, which means even if they were signed out of college they have been in pro baseball 5 years of so, and yet to this point have not done much. No i am not a scout, but everything out there written on these guys say the same thing. Good role players. 4th or 5th outfielders on a good team.

Well you are content to take a sample of stats and extrapolate into a full year and conclude that someone can have all of sudden start producing. Thats fine if thats what you choose to do, but baseball is not played on a piece of paper, very often something unexpected happens and stat projections get thrown out the window.

I am not negative on everything. But unlike you I do not blindly think everything this organization has is good. Starting with the fact that the owner is a crook and in debt upto his eyeballs. But that aside, they did revamp the bullpen, could it be better, sure, but didnt people say the same thing last year? The rotation and infield are good. The outfield is full of question marks. There is no depth. Is that being negative or just seeing things as they are?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

*Well if you want to sit there and think they did this whole thing as a show just for fans like yourself go ahead I see no sense in even entertaining that idea*

And if you want to sit there and think that these half-hearted attempts to improve the team aren't strictly for show then I am sure the Wilpons and Sandy appreciate your support. But you might want to read Joel Sherman or Ken Davidoff today.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • burningmyeyes
Saz Mr Fact man. To use your words, show me that FACTS to back up your statment that Sandy was willing to spend for Bourne. Why cause he told us? Yeah he hasnt lied to Met fans too many times. Your right, this team deserves the benefit of the doubt. Whats next is exactly right 4th place and a JOKE of a team. On a positive note Jeff and Fred will be in hiding and not showing thier pompus faces at Citifield.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • gilforhof
Not seeing Fred and Jeffie may be the most positive aspects of the 2013 season. See, it ain't never as bad as it seems.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012

I would still make a move if it was not too costly in talent.

But maybe just maybe they suprise everyone:>)

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • elsid1986

Not seeing Fred and Jeffie may be the most positive aspects of the 2013 season.

LOL That is so true.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • gilforhof
Well there are enough of them to try for the positions, so ST will tell us who gets what. Duda and Baxter are givens I believe. The rest is up for grabs, I think. As for bringing in an actual Major Leaguer, outside of those discussed, I don't see anyone, unless there is a trade in the works. I wouldn't give up anyone with real talent unless we got someone in return that would be here for longer than a coffee break. I don't think its gonna happen. None the less, its baseball time and I intend to enjoy it, win or lose.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • saztastic2012

You can read? LOL JK OK so you claim to have read a number of articals please post them here so we can talkm about them,

PS Even if you can post them which I highly doubt they actually exsist they are most likely blubs about how bad the OF is not actual scouting reports,

So you go find the articals you claim to have read and I will get the bill james projections, I do wish I had acess to the scouting reports though.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • marvelousmarvin
What now? Wilpon raised the ticket prices for half a mlb ballclub.
  • Reply to this Message