• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Do people who trash Bourn
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • Robert
realize we have the worst OF in baseball this year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • AdrianMonk

Only on paper.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Moses0507

So we should just sign the guy to a bad contract because of that?

This team still wouldn't have won 80 games with him, so why bother.

Wait till next off season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Deadtrek
"What outfield??" - Sandy Alderson Nov 2012
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • KLake409
I don't know $12M a year for somebody who hits .270 with 9HR (and that's his best year)?,
I mean couldn't they at least get an OF who hits 30HRs for $15M a year (though Bay was supposed to do that and he was the Epic Fail of this century, you would think the Mets woudn't always be such big losers all the time and maybe somebody they sign could actually do what they did before coming to the Mets).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • nvmets10

"So we should just sign the guy to a bad contract because of that?"

The consensus certainly seems to be that it's a very reasonable contract.

"This team still wouldn't have won 80 games with him, so why bother."

I'm just so confused by this question. If we're signing him to a 4 year contract, why are we only looking at next season?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Moses0507

'The consensus certainly seems to be that it's a very reasonable contract.'

Not for a team who won't seriously compete until 2015.

'I'm just so confused by this question. If we're signing him to a 4 year contract, why are we only looking at next season?'

Bourn is 30, he's not getting any better.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Robert
what will be the excuse next year. This year the contracts were too high for the player (but most see it as the market) and they didn't want to lose the pick. Next year I would expect two impact OF's to be added to the team (hopefully Duda takes to LF). One guy should have speed for the leadoff spot (perfect for Bourn) and the other guy some Pop to hit 5th behind Davis. Adding Bourn this year would have put less pressure on next offseason.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Deadtrek

Based on the last 4 years -- How can you expect the Mets to sign anyone?? much less 2 people...

Its dumpster diving again next year -- with no major results...

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • nvmets10

"Not for a team who won't seriously compete until 2015."

A major part of whether we can seriously compete is what we do to address our issues. So, to me, this argument is absolutely hilarious. Bourn would've been a major piece toward speeding up that timetable. With Bourn now and perhaps another good outfielder and closer next offseason, you don't think there was a good chance we could compete in 2014? The team's inactivity itself is going to be largely to blame if they don't seriously complete until 2015.

"Bourn is 30, he's not getting any better."

So we only can sign players who we think are getting better? Would anyone even fit that description?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Moses0507

Thers always guys worth trading. You build up the farm system and have valuable pieces for trading.

I like Shin-Soo Choo, they could look to him next offseason.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Moses0507

'So we only can sign players who we think are getting better? Would anyone even fit that description?'

Sign a guy whose Career is based on his legs to a contract that lasts until he's 35.

GOOD IDEA!

'A major part of whether we can seriously compete is what we do to address our issues. So, to me, this argument is absolutely hilarious. Bourn would've been a major piece toward speeding up that timetable.'

Bourn isn't that good, and tying up our limited funds into an aging OF whose overrated is not smart.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • nvmets10

"Sign a guy whose Career is based on his legs to a contract that lasts until he's 35."

Well he's 30 now and would only be 33 at the end of the guaranteed 4 years. He also hasn't really had any injury issues. Juan Pierre is 35 and just stole 37 bases last year.

"Bourn isn't that good, and tying up our limited funds into an aging OF whose overrated is not smart."

You can feel free to call him overrated and not that good but it's entirely opinion. Considering the other contracts handed out this offseason, it seems he isn't at all overrated. If Bourn is what we're going to call an aging OF, wait till next offseason when the best options consist of players either even older or far more injury prone: Ellsbury (30), Choo (31), Morse (32), Murphy (32), Hart (32), Cruz (33). What do we call them?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Robert
some people on this board are happy to wait five more years for Nimmo in the new york market!!
  • Reply to this Message