• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• DePodesta likes Flores' potential at second base
  • To:All
  • 2/12/13
  • stearnsy12

according to Metsblog Flores was taking grounders at second with Murph yesterday and the Mets would like to see how he handles second this season

i think it's the correct move,give him as many reps as possible at second while he's at AAA and see what he's got

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • eastvisitr
It is the right move. Hes way too slow for the outfield. That said I've never seen a team with so many square peg round hole situations as this one.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • stearnsy12

i think that's a result of the lack of depth we had talent-wise in our minor league system for so long,trying to make Murphy and even Valdespin outfielders and now perhaps making Flores a second baseman or still another outfielder

when you don't have many options because of this lack of depth you have a tendency to try to make the talent you DO have fit the needs of your franchise

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • PutItInTheBOOKS
Agreed. I am really rooting for Flores and MDD. I have nothing against Murph but Flores gives them the power we need hopefully. What If the young kids come through than we would have Bourn for 12 mil that doesnt make sense for a team trying to rebuild. You have to roll with the punches....LETS GO METS! COME ON FLORES SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT YOUNGING
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Kranesback
The right move is to put him at third.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • stearnsy12
may as well see if he can handle it as it can only increase his value either to us or to another team....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • nvmets10
Be nice if this thing was resolved in the next year and one or the other was traded. I'm so sick and tired of having situations like this.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

At this point I tend to agree.

That's his position, and if this experiment at second doesn't work it just lowers his potential trade value. I think we could all easily foresee a situation in the future in which he is dealt for a similar talent in the OF... No need to ruin that potential situation.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • stearnsy12
like i was saying above,when you're a franchise that's minor league talent strapped you make the talent fit the many needs and that's what we've been doing for years now
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • stearnsy12

see,i think the exact opposite,i don't see how him not being able to play a new position lowers his trade value,if he can't play second it doesn't take away from his ability to play third

i see it as a no lose situation that may allow us to increase his trade value

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"That's his position, and if this experiment at second doesn't work it just lowers his potential trade value. I think we could all easily foresee a situation in the future in which he is dealt for a similar talent in the OF... No need to ruin that potential situation."

Completely agree, Lets hope he puts ups some ridiculous stats in Vegas that are too good not to notice even after taking PCL into consideration.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0
everyone keeps saying that but really its just 2b and LF ....if you bring up flores at 2b, murphy either gets relegated to a utility man role or traded...so it stays 2b & LF....and duda is no where near a permanent solution at LF, so really, long term, it would just be 2b...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

thats not what he was saying

he hates david wright so his point was that david wright is terrible and never should have been resigned and we should have just traded him and let flores start at 3b

he's part of that "david wright is garbage and is the whole reason this team is bad" crowd of mentally challenged posters

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0
also, i am not at all confident that we would get equal value for flores....too many of the prospect gurus dropped him off their top 100 lists and now refuse to look stupid by hailing him as a solid prospect....so they drop him down their rankings of the mets system to like the 8th best prospect, making him look unimpressive...he has far more value in real life than he does in the trade world and we are not getting back an eaton type for a package built around flores...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Well, where is he among 3B prospects? From what I recall reading he is among the best.

So if a team needs a 3B and they have an OF prospect they can part with, that may be a deal in waiting.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld
You might be right, but it will hurt his defensive stats... Whether or not that matters in the overall scheme of things is another debate, but at this point is his development I don't really see the point in moving him over.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

hes number 10 on some lists...mostly on lists compiled by people that havent completely written him off....if you go by other prospect gurus (like law) hes not even in the conversation

not nearly as respected as he should be after putting up those numbers

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0
and the point of moving him over is that his offensive potential is FAR better than murphy's and there is nothing to indicate that his d in the long run will be any worse (less range, makes up for that w/ a huge reach, better instincts, better reaction, and better glove) than murphy's...so in the long run, he has more value at that position than murphy does...and if he can handle 2b, he will be a better player than what we get back in an of'er for him....that is a pretty good reason to move him imo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
Move Ike to RFand play him at first and just let him settle in and concentrate on his hitting.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • stearnsy12
how could Flores not being able to play second but be able to play third hurt his trade value?
  • Reply to this Message