4 years 48 million with a 5th year- 12 million option
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Good for them. How much?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Not a bad deal. Alderson couldn't swing that?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • _BigNick
Only reason he really got involved is because other teams didn't. Think Alderson wanted a 3 year deal with vest for less.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • joemets22
I wouldn't have signed him for that. Not that the Wilpons would have forked it over anyway, so it's moot.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/11/13
  • _BigNick
Now doubt the Mets move forward with the draft argument, will be interesting to see a team argue it in the future.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • metthunder

agreed to a four-year, $48MM deal with the Indians, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The contract contains a $12MM vesting option for a fifth year (Twitter links). The option vests if Bourn reaches 550 plate appearances in the final season of his contract

- mlbtraderumors.com

don't really want Stubbs

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Yeah, the difference was the guaranteed 4th year plus an option. Bourn is a good centerfielder, but not a game changer. Lots of Ks. Like I've said, Mike Cameron with few homers and a bit less glove. $12M, I don't think so.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • joemets22
I doubt it'll be very loud. The Wilpons are probably ecstatic they can hide behind that one.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • _BigNick
I personally would have loved to give him 12M, but waited on that three years since no other team was involved, or seem to really be. With the shape the OF is in - a top defensive CF would have been a great add-on. But all of this may mean nothing as the pick was in still in the way.

Edited 2/11/13   by  _BigNick
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • thagreat1

Good for them.

We better pick wisely in the draft.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • _BigNick
"mets were in the mix until the very end on bourn. #whatoutfield?"
Guessing Bourn knowing he could sign right now and not wait with another team might have played a part.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • _BigNick

"Mike Puma ?@NYPost_Mets

Bourn probably would have accepted 4-year offer from Mets, I'm told, except it would have taken 2-3 weeks to resolve draft pick issue."

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • sheadro
That part hurts. I blame Boras

Edited 2/11/13   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • bucknerismyhero
Mike Puma ?@NYPost_Mets
Mets had Bourn in agreement on years and $$, but negotiations were down to small details such as a hotel suite on the road.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • _BigNick

"Mike Puma ?@NYPost_Mets

In the end, Mets weren't going to part with No. 11 overall pick for Bourn. But the negotiations with Boras were "down to the small details.""
Pick, and the ending details, combined with the Indians swooping in and him not having to wait to play. Eh..

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • 4545_ajd
Well Indians are the team that were best suited for a sign and trade type thing, wonder if that is still a possibility.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • archgraham

Lets face it, Bourn is Mookie Wilson. I love Mookie, but I would never give him a contract like that. Too many strikeouts for a leadoff hitter, not a high impact player, no Rickey Henderson.

Use the money to get a real impact player next year like Elsbury. Bourn wasn't going to make a difference for this team. Still a fourth place team, and then next year they would say that we already have our CF.

Good riddance.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • _BigNick
Well, Bourn has been better than Ellsbury and hasn't been as injured, or anywhere close.
  • Reply to this Message