• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets' path to sign Bourn still cloudy
  • 2/11/13
  • nvmets10
I cannot believe it's February 11th and we're basically no clearer on what's going on.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • govmule72
I thought it was imminent?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • robrock30

I posted the Ken Rosenthal article because what is posted on Metsblog is totally inaccurate.

3:10 pm: The Cubs, Rangers, Indians and Mariners have more interest in Bourn than is being reported (Rosenthal, FOX Sports).

Ken Rosenthal did not say that these clubs have more interest, he was merely speculating.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • Deadtrek
The Cubs are my guess
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • MetObserver
The only way the Cubs get rid of Soriano is to eat almost all of his remaining contract dollars. And then they would also have to pay Bourn. I don't see it happening.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • robrock30
Mine too because they DFA'd Tony Campana who was popular with the fanbase and has the same skills. With Soriano in LF they could move De Jesus to RF. Scott Hairston affords them a platoon.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • nvmets10

Yea, he specifically said might. Sounds like Rosenthal has absolutely no real information either:

"Yet, the Mets’ path to Bourn still might not be clear."

"Other clubs might have greater interest in Bourn than is being reported currently"

"These four clubs, in particular, could be fits"

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • nvmets10
I think their plan as of now is already to platoon Hairston with Nate Schierholtz in right, since he hit .287 with an .826 OPS against righties last season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • metsfansince89
lol cerrone is such a joke
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • robrock30

Hairston in Wrigley Field with the wind blowing out was a brilliant move by Theo.

He has the savvy to pull something big off under the radar.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • robrock30

He so wants to win a WS in Chicago like he did in Boston to break the curse.

He can pay the $ for Bourn because Soriano's $ come off in a couple of years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • nvmets10
Yea, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. The Cubs have been extremely active this offseason.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • robrock30
Soriano is owed $18m in 2013 & 2014 & has full no trade clause but he is 10 & 5 anyways
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • metsheart
So basically Rosenthal just needed to write SOMETHING & decided to bat around the idea some other teams MIGHT be in on Bourn.

If Cubs were in they'd have signed him by now. They won't because their 2nd rd pick is #42 overall & they'd have to give it up to sign Bourn. Would be VERY surprised if Theo does this since Cubs have said out loud they're rebuilding. Wouldn't make much sense.

If Cleveland was in on Bourn they'd have signed him instead of Swisher. Indians made it clear when they signed Swisher they wouldn't also add Edwin Jackson because it would be too expensive. So seems unlikely that they'll be able to afford BOTH Swisher AND Bourn on their payroll.

Rangers have #24 & #30 overall picks. Plus they have high hopes for the speedy Leonys Martin as a top of the order threat. If they were gonna sign Bourn they wouldn't have dithered about it for this long.

Seattle has the #12 overall pick & it's unlikely they'd give that up to sign Bourn. Especially given Mariners perpetually low payroll they need that pick for the future to compete w/ other teams in their division.

So we're back to Bourn signing w/ the Mets. But ONLY if Mets get to keep that #11 overall pick.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • robrock30
Ok very well stated. You could be right then. But if the 11th pick is not protected, where does Bourn go?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • MetObserver
Nothing says that every free agent has to be signed. But he may have to lower his price to a one year deal so a bottom ten team could afford to sign him. Or there is also Japan.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • metsheart
How bout we wait to see MLB's ruling? Not worth speculating on something that might not come to pass as far as where Bourn goes if Mets pick's not protected. Think it WILL be!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • govmule72
I've been as big a critic of Sandy as anyone around here...but I gotta say I like the way he's playing this whole thing. I'm sure some will disagree.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • robrock30

I think not. While Sandy was dragging out the Wright signing and the Dickey trade market, Minn. traded two CF's with speed. I happen to like Denard Span and his price and Ben Revere's youth & price. The Mets matched up well with Minn. as they were searching for young pitching which the Mets had depth with. Heck they even signed Mike Pelfrey. I think the Nats & the Phillies got it right.

Sandy waited and now he will have to overpay for Bourn, who outside of his SB, CF, & leadoff is not worth his price.
His signing is not even guaranteed at this late date.

While everyone thinks Sandy did a great job with the Dickey trade & I agree, he didn't come out of the deal with a ML OF which Toronto has in excess.

I match you in the Sandy critic arena.

• Reply to this Message