• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Felix Hernandez' $175 million contract extension in jepordy
  • To:All
  • 2/11/13
  • 86kid

After the M's medical examine turned up something with Hernandez' elbow, his 175 million contract extension is in jeapordy of being finalized.

They are still thinking on how to work this out. They might add specific language in the contract to protect the M's if this problem they spotted forces him to the DL during the period of the extension, or they may totally kill the extension as is.

But since he's under control for the next two years anyway, Hernandez agent says neither side is under any rush to resolve this immediately.

Edited 2/11/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • 86kid
These routine examines to finalize contracts don't turn up anything every often, but when you're about to commit $175 million to someone, these examines are an owners/GMs best friend.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • marvelousmarvin

He may not be insurable when the current policy is up.

The Mets should have had such a thorough exam when they were about to sign Johan. I think he already had damage. His velocity was dipping.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • 86kid

Yes, Insurance is a lot more limited/restrictive now than it was 15 years ago.

I have no idea if the Mets examine of Johan, was any less involved than the M's examine of Felix, or if the Mets had any special language in their contract with him regarding anything specific, that they kept out of the media. All I know about is the Felix thing that's was reported.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • johnnyd63

I guess Santana's insurance checkup came from Omar Minaya....

"You goo to go pendejo?...Si"

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • godedgeri94
Ridiculous contract.
Don't forget Dice-K.
they should had got Jason Heyward for trade.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • saztastic2012
Contracts of that length are not insured more often then nolt because the premium is very very high if you can even get it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • metthunder

it's fine, they just gave King Felix a no trade clause

per MLB Trade Rumors

• Reply to this Message
Message 548214.9 was deleted
  • 2/13/13
  • 86kid
Yeah, I just saw on my ESPN app that they signed him. Now apparently they have given him a clear bill of health it said. They didn't go into detail though not the initial results. Did they see something that wasn't actually there? Did a 2nd test ... Whatever.. I guess if they can him a contract with no protections in it for themselves, then maybe it was a false positive on something.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548214.11 was deleted