• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 6 games up at the AS break... Still trade Johan?
  • To:All
  • 2/9/13
  • anthony888

Let's assume (anything is possible), that we're 6 games up at the AS break. Johan is having an amazing first half, and the Mets have the league buzzing.

Do you still trade him for prospects?
Or do you go for it?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • Moses0507

Prospects??

Who the helll is giving the Mets prospects for Johan, with his contract?

No one.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • DFAB
If there is a team that would be giving up at least a Wheeler type prospect, then yes I would trade him. If Wheeler is tearing it up at AAA then this is a no brainer IMO.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • Oldfan
He usually breaks down in the second half, so yes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • metthunder
yes, if he has a decent record and Mets pay almost all of his '13 salary and option, only way.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • danthemetfan
6 games up on what? The division? WC #1, WC#2 ? How many teams in the race? What are the Mets chances of holding said lead with or w/o Santana? Who else is pitching well? Who are they trading him to, and what is the return? This is not a yes or no question. All in all, if come the trade deadline, and Santana has any trade value, he should be dealt. Should it come to pass that the Mets are a true WS contender, and Santana is the ring leader, you dont trade him, because you don't know when they will be back. Somehow, I doubt we will see this conundrum.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • 86kid

>>>"6 games up on what? The division? WC #1, WC#2 ? How many teams in the race? What are the Mets chances of holding said lead with or w/o Santana? Who else is pitching well? Who are they trading him to, and what is the return? This is not a yes or no question. All in all, if come the trade deadline, and Santana has any trade value, he should be dealt. Should it come to pass that the Mets are a true WS contender, and Santana is the ring leader, you dont trade him, because you don't know when they will be back. Somehow, I doubt we will see this conundrum."<<<

I think you worded it pretty well Dan. It's not a easy yes/no thing. There could be a number of variables - most of them you've already listed. But for the purposes of giving the OP a special answer, I'd say YES. I'd still deal Johan - especially if we are being offer another Wheeler or TDA. To me this year is about beyond this year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • Gepett0

ummm you do realize that johan's contract is basically over, right?

and if they are going to trade him, they will likely eat a lot of the contract to get back prospects

so yes, if johan ACTUALLY pitches well and is not showing signs of injury at the asb, teams absolutely will give up prospects for him

this whole argument sounds very similar to the "no one would ever part w/ a prospect for beltran....his career is over, he's making a ton of money this season, and they can't even offer him arbitration!?!"

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • metsheart
"I'd still deal Johan - especially if we are being offer another Wheeler or TDA. To me this year is about beyond this year."

And as another poster pointed out Johan's contract's over after this season. So IMO you don't hold onto him on a "maybe" to win it all this yr when you can get another top prospect who can help Mets be competitive for many yrs to come. Like Wheeler & d'Arnaud hopefully will.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • johnyringo
It pains me to say yes. I shouldnt have too.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/11/13
  • thagreat1
I wouldn't be surprised if we got a top twenty or better prospect for Johan if he's pitching stellar. Who would've thought "no knees"Beltran" could've gotten us a top 3 right handed pitching prospect? And at most we should've gotten TDA for Dickey straight up. No way we were supposed to get Syndergaard in that deal as well. Sandy works magic and I'm hoping we can get another blue chip for Santana
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/11/13
  • viper99

Depends on how much money the Mets are picking up. Lets not forget that the receiving team would have a option year as well so if Santana pitches like an ace, they have another year.

• Reply to this Message