• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• So Sandy can't multitask,eh? Another poorly fabricated myth
  • To:All
  • 2/9/13
  • stearnsy12

I'm impressed with the number of people who absolutely know on a day to day basis what Sandy Alderson is doing and therefore claim that he can't multitask

and yet while he's negotiating with Boras/Bourn and perhaps dealing with MLB behind the scenes he's signing Hawkins,Byrd,and Lyons...

amazin',the can't multitask guy multitasks as he's going along multitasking

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • Ultimate_Lou2013
...you see how these wanna-be GM's claim to know how things work on a major league level when they sat in the stands at little league games...if just one of them had 1/10 of 1% the knowledge it took to run an MLB team, they could get a job...as a t-shirt seller outside the stadium...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • fargol

Eh, some of the people up here are the same ones who want to complain about everything, no matter if justified or not.

Makes them feel smarter I guess ...

• Reply to this Message
Message 548185.4 was deleted
  • 2/9/13
  • Deadtrek
And some people dont like if others dont think exactly like they do, must make a point of it because there are so much smarter than everyone else.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • Oldfan

I haven't seen much criticism of him not being able to multi-task, but let's be a little honest here.

<<"and yet while he's negotiating with Boras/Bourn and perhaps dealing with MLB behind the scenes"

How much time do you believe SA is spending each day on the phone with Boras? Since the Bourn rumors have been floating for a week or 2, I'm sure he already knows MLBs stance.

<<"he's signing Hawkins,Byrd,and Lyons..."

Two of the 3 are minor league deals and Lyons was a one year deal that probably didn't require extensive negotiations .Considering there are 3 Asst GMs, I'd assume at least one of them as been partly involved in some of those deals.

If that's all that's going on, I wish my work week was similar.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • Deadtrek

Sandy: Bring me a list of un signed ML players from last year please
Peon: you got it boss
Sandy: (looking at the list ) hmm 3 OF and 3 pitchers left
Sandy: Send them all minor league contracts
Peon: you got it boss
Sandy: Hmm, work done for the day - is the instant coffee ready yet?

Player: Any offers today?
Agent: No major league offers ,but we did get 3 offers for minor league contracts.
Player: ug , cant believe how badly my career has gone, Please say the Mets were one of them
Agent: Yes they were, your best chance of making a "major league" team this year.
Player: Where do I sign?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • Oldfan

That's pretty funny and may have some truth.

I don't believe the part about instant coffee. I would have believed Kona coffee or something equally as expensive.

Edited 2/9/13   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • thebobymon

How do you know he drinks instant coffee?

See this is exactly what the OP was talking about, like you have inside knowledge inside his head.

O_o

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Congrats to Sandy. He's shown that he can sign multiple castoffs and question marks to minor league contracts! The pen and OF is magically fixed, Bad News Bears style! HUZZAH!"<<<

And so you think it takes more brains and effort for a GM to just sign a big contract for a proven All-Star player ?

If anything, it takes more effort and creativity to find quality bargains /deals when you have restricted/limited cash and prospects to offer.

Edited 2/9/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • oceans48
Not a question of what he drinks, it's what Fredo will spring for.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • capicu76

86kid,

You and I know that Alderson can very well leave the franchise in a better condition than he inherited it in. If it doesn't translate into wins it will be all for nought.

JP Ricciardi is lauded for leaving the Bluejays in better shape than what he inherited. Did it really matter? He couldn't beat the Yankees and Redsox.

Yes, Alderson is laying a foundation in place for the future, but no one can say with absolute certainty that the foundation will be good enough to challenge the Nationals and Braves for supremacy in arguably the toughest division in baseball.

The Nationals and Braves are built and primed, barring injuries, for the long haul. This fanbase still doesn't know what it has it's prospects.

Time will only tell, but I'm not going to put all of my eggs in one basket and count on Wheeler, Harvey, D'Arnaud as being franchise saviors because I just don't know yet.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • bbyjean616
You think Freddys gonna spring for instant coffee? Pfffff
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548185.14 was deleted
  • 2/9/13
  • capicu76

Ant,

I'm with you. This fanbase generally speaking is lost. Talk to me when I can see tangible results. Until then they're still horrible in my opinion.

Edited 2/9/13   by  capicu76
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • 86kid
Yes, the rest of us are lost, but you obviously have better vision and insight than the rest if us.

Edited 2/9/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • 86kid

You do what you can bro. Sometimes it pays off better than you could have expected.
Guys like Dickey, Capuano and Young were effective for this team on various levels.

Marcum, Lyons, Hawkins and some others we got this winter have bad success in the league, and we got them on the cheap after injuries...etc.

Lets hope done if these work out,

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • nvmets10

"it takes more effort and creativity to find quality bargains /deals when you have restricted/limited cash and prospects to offer"

Of course but would you really say the minor league contracts handed out this offseason fall under that classification? These are unwanted players with literally zero strings attached. Hard to give somebody kudos for that, especially before even seeing anything.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • Kranesback
..although signing Hawkins and Byrd probably took about as much effort as giving a dollar to a homeless person.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/9/13
  • stearnsy12
who he is capable of signing because of payroll issues is another topic and not the point i'm trying to make
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
ANYONE EXCITED FOR MLB THE SHOW ON PS4?
Latest by 98silverbolts7to15 - 12:00 AM
Wilmer Flores with 7 RBI already
Latest by bonillasonlyfan - Apr-17
Baseball Name Game
Latest by jereviens - Apr-17
Favorite Easter Basket Candy
Latest by metman79 - Apr-17
Secret Service Threatened Mr. Met's Life
Latest by bmcneely - Apr-17