• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• DAYDREAMING: Pitching, Pitiching, Pitching
  • To:All
  • 2/8/13
  • 86kid

I am just sitting at home today watching the snow fall, and glad I'm not at work today. As I am sitting here typing this on my iPhone, my mind has been imagining the future.

Earlier I read a story on Harvey., and there was a line in there about how the relationship between Harvey and Wheeler was growing. Harvey said that when Wheeler gets here they'll push each other.

So, I just daydreamed about how, by the middle/end of 2014, we may well see Harvey, Wheeler, Neise and Syndergaard, all sitting next to each other on the bench. All the comradery that goes with young starters/players growing up together.

Goooden/Darling/Sid/Aggie,
Hudson/Mulder/Zito,
Glavine/Smoltz/MadDog...
This is the type of setup I always dreamed of seeing in Queens again.

I know they are all still pups, and may never be as good as the above groups were. Some could turn out to be flops. But I can't help but daydream about the possilities, and the cameraman getting a shot of that Mets bench, and showing Wheeler/Harvey/Neise/Syndergarrd all sitting together in the bench talking, laughing, giving hotfoots, and the TV announcer saying " there's the best young pitching staff in the league folks"

As Roy Hobbs (Robert Redford) said in 'The Natural' ...
"God, I love baseball."

Edited 2/8/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • thebobymon

Nice dream.

Lets hope it pans out.

• Reply to this Message
Message 548182.3 was deleted
  • 2/8/13
  • 86kid
Fingers crossed. As you know already I'm sure, most prospects don't pan out, but I would kill to see this come true again for use. The last two times this'd franchise had good thing happen, there were a couple of guys like Tom Seaver and Doc Gooden leading the charge.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • 86kid

Even though I still see 2013 as another transitional season, I am stoked for this season. I am excited to see Harvey, Wheeler, TDa, Neise, Ike and others. Excited for what could be for this franchise if some of these kids become what we hope.

My god, it baseball, it is spring soon, how can anyone be miserable about that at this point.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • fargol

"My god, it baseball, it is spring soon, how can anyone be miserable about that at this point. "

You sir are correct, and yet ...

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsheart
What a wonderful daydream! Especailly in the midst of a blizzard!!

Pitchers & Catchers on Monday!!! Spring's almost here!!
(After all the shoveling of course.)

I think Mets can be at least .500 in 2013. Maybe better if BP really has improved.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • 86kid
Lol. I know. But even for those people , I hope they can find at least a sliver if a reason to go into next week with something to enjoy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • 86kid
I think we can certainly be better if guys do what they are capable of. The thing though is staying healthy. Like for Johan, if healthy, I have a lot of confidence he will perform.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsheart
Santana was lights out until he had his foot stepped on in gm against the Cubs. After that he had $15.43 ERA his last 5 starts. After that injury he had back problems. Probably from altering his motion to compensate for his ankle.

Santana'll perform. IF he can stay healthy. Got fingers crossed. Along with other body parts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • TheGMan47
Pitching wins championships. If all of our young pitchers pan out then we will have solid nucleus that will lead this team. And the great thing is that if one of our pitchers flops then we still have depth.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsheart
"Pitching wins championships"

Says it ALL right there!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • 86kid

Yes, I love Johan. He is a real "pitcher", and not just a "thrower".

Give us a good half, and get us a real nice OF prospect in July.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • 86kid
True, and one of the best reasons to have the depth you get. We have good depth, but I'll take more
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsheart
Definitely rooting for a very good 1st half from Johan. And for top prospect coming back in trade for him at deadline. OF would be lovely. But could also be another young pitcher who'll be very good for a long time to come.

You can NEVER have "enough" pitching!!! And winning/ championships are MUCH MORE about PITCHING than offense. See 2012 Reds w/ 669 runs scored (only 19 more runs than Mets but 23 more wins!!). See also Colorado Rockies who scored 2nd most runs in NL (108 more runs than Mets) but TEN LESS WINS THAN METS!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • MetObserver
Trading Johan mid season I don't see a stud OF prospect coming back in return. A team would have to be taking $12.5 million for 1/2 a season. Don't know if they would also throw in a prospect. You know our owners do you think they eat most of the money in order to get that prospect. I think they will, if they are able to trade him, want to send the whole contract with him thereby getting us a much lower prospect than some imagine.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsheart
"Trading Johan mid season I don't see a stud OF prospect coming back in return. A team would have to be taking $12.5 million for 1/2 a season. Don't know if they would also throw in a prospect"

Mets would have to pay majority of Santana's remaining 2013 salary to trade him for any worthwhile prospect(s).

If they're not gonna get anything worthwhile back why would they bother trading him at the deadline?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • MetObserver
The biggest reason would be to cut payroll.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsheart
If cutting payroll's the only thing in operation & doesn't matter what kind of prospect(s) come back why didn't Mets trade Beltran BEFORE 2011 season & dump his $20M salary up front? Or at least dump a healthy portion of his salary before 2011 season? Why wait til the deadline to trade him if all Mets are interested in is cutting payroll?

And why'd Mets trade Dickey to Toronto & had to take on Buck's $6M salary to get d'Arnaud & Syndergaard? Why not trade the Cy Young winner somewhere else where'd they take his whole $5M salary if all Mets want to do is dump salary & doesn't matter what comes back in the trade? Wilpon's not interested in cutting $5M from payroll?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • MetObserver

Get real I wasn't saying that is the only thing they have ever done. So don't start jumping on me with all the explanations of when they could have cut payroll and didn't. It is getting pretty tired on here too.

But I don't think the owners would be willing to buy a prospect at the cost of $12.5 million dollars at that point. They will most likely take what ever they can get while having the other team take on as much of his payroll as they are willing to do.

• Reply to this Message