• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• DEAL WITH LYONS DONE, PEN IS SET
  • To:All
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
Our pen was the real difference between us and the Braves and Phils last year (mets 4.65) Braves 2.76, Phils 3.94 so with the final peice of Lyons in place on paper the pen is much improved.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • 58pwrhtr
I agree the pen is improved but we still have no closer. Lyon has only been a full time +closer twice in his career and one of them was his last year with Houston when he was hurt and awful. The other was in 2008. He's as proven as a closer as double Fs
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • alfolerud
What do you mean by saying that our pen is set? If by that you mean that we will not be making any more additions to the pen, you are correct. However, your statement has the connotation that our pen is now good. That is probably not the case. It's full of a bunch of young, unproven non-prospects and old has-beens. So quit trolling and get on board with the reality train.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • MetObserver

How many pens in the Majors are set with no new prospects and no veteran's? Do you even know what you are looking for in a bull pen? Each year pens are the most changed aspect of a team. Very seldom do you have a group of lights out pitchers staffing a pen year after year. With of course some exceptions like the Braves pen.

So until you see how this pen works out it would be foolish to just trash it before the season. But of course that fits right into your MO so I wouldn't expect you to stop or even give them ST before commencing with the trashing.

• Reply to this Message
Message 548159.5 was deleted
  • 2/7/13
  • 86kid
I think with the pieces that Sandy has added (Lyon, Hawkins), and with the younger guys (Parnell, Edge, Familia..) hopefully continuing to get better, we at least have the possibility to have a very improved pen. We shall see how they perform.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • joemets22
It's mediocre at best. That's all we've signed. We don't have 1 top shelf reliever.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • MetObserver
You do know that your fat Frank only had 3 blown saves last year, right. Many of his problems were in non save situations just trying to get him some work after earlier relief pitchers already blew the game open.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548159.9 was deleted
  • 2/7/13
  • MetObserver
Okay! I was only stating the truth. You would think that if a closer stinks he would have a worse record than 23/26 in save opportunities. No?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548159.11 was deleted
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
Thanks for posting troll you continue to show that ignorance we all know you have.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • MetObserver
Move further away and maybe you won't smell it so much.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
Have you cheked the numbers of the guys we brought in? Lyons .310 ERA with 63 KOs in 61 Innings, Hawkings had a 3.62 ERA, Atchison has a 1.58 ERA.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
Agreed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
Actually Parnell is.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • MetObserver
No they just stink! That says it all. You should know better saz.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
I tried explaining that to people here but some were just to ignorant to understand that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
LOL I know it has become the same thing with these so call "realist" they can not give anything concrete just "they stink" LOL
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • thagreat1
Realist? No. Defeatist
  • Reply to this Message