• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Do we have any "players of color" in our organization?
  • To:All
  • 2/6/13
  • anthony888
I didn't want to add any racial overtones to this topic, but was wondering if we have any players of color in our AAA or major league ball club?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • alfolerud
Who cares, it's baseball.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • DFAB
I'm sure Al Sharpton would care....ugh, just saying that name makes me puke in my mouth....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • alfolerud
Sharpton is a complete clown. He's never done anything to help anyone other than himself.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd
Depends what you mean by players of color, if you mean players with dark skin, on the 40 man roster there is Francsisco, Mejia, Familia, and Gonzalez German, if you are talking about African Americans than Robert Casrson is currently the only one on the 40 man roster.

Edited 2/6/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsheart
Don't know if Mets have any African-Americans in their system.

Problem is not that many African-American kids are into baseball. They're more into basketball. Especially inner city kids who have little or no access to baseball fields & no $$$ to pay for equipment (bats, gloves, baseballs, batting helmets & especially catcher's gear). But there are plenty of basketball courts & all you need is 1 ball to play. And you don't need 18 kids to play a game. In basketball you can even play 1 on 1 or 2 on 2. Not baseball.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/6/13
  • anthony888

I'm referring to African American players.

We only have one on our 40 man roster?

Just curious...
Is there a stat that would tell me what the league average number of african americans are on other teams?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • jgrangers2
African Americans make up about 8% of the population in MLB. On average that means there will be 3.2 black players on ever 40-man roster and 2 black players on every 25-man roster.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • anthony888

Thanks.

I was just curious, and noting more.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • frkaz911

There's no one in the organization that's burnt sienna. You know that was the only one of the 64 crayons you never used.....admit it.

And the cinnamon doughnut.......you know that's always the last one in the box.....nobody wants to touch it.

We still have a long way to go.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • thebobymon
Carson and Hawkins I think are 2.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • thagreat1
And the biggest troll on this board also appears to be racist....big surprise what a complete coincidence!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd
African Americans who played at St. Lucie, Binghamton and Buffalo last year include Fred Lewis, Corey Vauhgn , Bobby Scales, Alonzo Harrison, Richard Lucas, Jonathon Clark, ZeErkia McQueen could be a few others.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • thebobymon

I forgot about Vaughn, also I don't think Hawkins is actually part of the roster yet.

Not many to be sure.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd
Hawkins got a minor league contract so he is not on the 40 yet.

Edited 2/6/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • alfolerud
What did I say that was remotely racist?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • AdrianMonk

I've been alluding to this issue all along. At the moment, Robert Carson, Marlon Byrd and Cory Vaughn (St. Lucie) come to mind. Last year, there was Hairston and Fred Lewis. Of course, there are several dark skinned Latinos.

I don't think the Mets exactly discriminate, but other teams (Phillies, Braves) tend to look for African Americans to sign as either draftees or free agents, so they will get them more often than we do. The Mets will make offers from time to time, but in the end will more often than not come out short.

Edited 2/6/13   by  AdrianMonk
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • thagreat1
Oh you're denying it? Sorry I outed you...Nevermind, forget I said anything.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • alfolerud
What are you talking about? You sound like a ranting lunatic.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • bbyjean616

And the biggest troll on this board also appears to be racist....big surprise what a complete coincidence! "

Dude its one thing to dislike a poser based on his comments. Its another to blatantly make things up after looking for something that's not there. He didnt say anything racist at all.

• Reply to this Message