• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Bourne the most polarizing fugue
  • To:All
  • 2/6/13
  • thagreat1

The consensus on Bourne on this site is no consensus. Half want him half don't. Log here whether you want him or if you don't.

I'll start. I vote no to Bourne boras won't allow us to sign him with a deal under three or four years. He's okay not awful but I don't see where he fits in long term and short term he isn't much help either

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 4545_ajd
I'm in the "If the pick is protected" category.

Edited 2/6/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • govmule72
Not huge on him, but we have to do something.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • AdrianMonk

No. He'll get in the way of up and coming talent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • mets06ny
Personally I'm fine with either...sign him (with protected pick) to say 3 or even 4 years at most with a 2 year opt out is cool...or if they don't sign him I'm fine with that. His defense and speed on the base paths would be nice though. While I'm not crazy about him he would be a good upgrade in multiple areas. Don't need a CFer to hit for power..but anyways if we don't sign him I'd actually like to see the Mets go after Gomez next year. Did I just say that?!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • 86kid
If the pick is protected, and if he'll sign for 1year, then I could live with it.
But if we're talking 3-5 years, then I'd pass.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • thagreat1
For the record I meant figure not fugue
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • jsmet

For the record I meant figure not fugue<

I figured that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • jsmet
And I say no to Bourne.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • metsarethebest
I say yes. First of all, I am actually fairly confident the PA will be able to get the Mets pick protected. When do they ever not get what they want, really? Second of all, yes the 11th pick is important, but acquiring a major league caliber every day centerfielder is more important. Not to mention he also fills a need in the lineup at leadoff. He is a bonafide leadoff guy. I don't love the guy, I don't think he's the final piece to a beautiful puzzle. But I do think he fits their need perfectly and will only cost money and a crapshoot draft pick. Sign me up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • Remember86
I wasn't aware Bourne was a composer of fugues.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • thagreat1
Okay I knew I'd get a couple of these. It's my fault really for the typo. Hopefully now that we got it out the way we can get back on track.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • deviljuice
I say no. Just because he is the best available doesn't make him good. $15M per year is a lot of money. He is adequate but not a $15M per year player. I rate him under Pagan. Pagan got about $10M. We will lose with him and we'll lose without him just the same.

Edited 2/6/13   by  deviljuice
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • thagreat1
Very interesting point...had we just kept pagan we would not be in this mess.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • _BigNick
"I'm in the "If the pick is protected" category. "

This. One more thing: less than five years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • _BigNick
Like your grandson?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • _BigNick
In a dream world Nimmo stays in CF, Bourn takes over CF until he's ready.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • thagreat1
So if they gave him 4 years you'd be happy with having this guy here into 2017¿
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • _BigNick
Depends on the money, but if it fit, I'd be fine with it. I don't expect him to degrade that quickly, and it'll help draw in other FA next year and have something to build on with our young up and coming core.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • Gepett0

ditto

but even so, i still wouldnt overpay him...

• Reply to this Message