• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• If Johan pitches in the WBC I'll be pretty upset
  • To:All
  • 2/5/13
  • KB24NYM

Is Johan kidding with trying to pitch for Venezuela? The guy has made $140 million over these last 7 years from the Mets, in the process holding us hostage and delaying our ascent, while throwing a total of 117 innings over the last three years, and he has the gall to try to waste his arm on that silly tournament?

Isn't he embarrassed about how much of a bust he has been? If I were him I'd be doing my best to justify that albatross of a contract, not wasting energy with this.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • alfolerud
I hope he gets hurt so he won't take up a roster spot of a superior pitcher. And just about everyone on the 40 man roster is better than Johan at this point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • KB24NYM

What? How do you know what Johan is at this point? Even if he just pitches like an all-star for three months before fizzling out like last season...I'd take that over nothing. And there's always the possibility that he just wasn't ready for the full grind of a season and can duplicate his April-June over the course of an entire season this year...you never know.

Wishing injury on our Opening Day pitcher? Come on now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • alfolerud
Johan is done. Gotta move on. Can't be stuck in the past.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • KB24NYM
Thank you for that, Doctor.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

There should be a clause in professional contracts (especially one of this price, for a starting pitcher) that says if a player engages in organized baseball outside of the team he signed for, his entire contract can be voided on the spot.

I'd be furious if I were Alderson. He could be valuable trade bait.

• Reply to this Message
Message 548113.7 was deleted
  • 2/5/13
  • 4545_ajd

"There should be a clause in professional contracts (especially one of this price, for a starting pitcher) that says if a player engages in organized baseball outside of the team he signed for, his entire contract can be voided on the spot."

A lot of major league players play in the Winter Leagues to keep sharp and work on things, not to mention the WBC is run by the MLB so neither them or the Player's union would be for that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

If the team knows about it and signs off on it, it's fine.

But a player with millions invested in him (along with the hopes and dreams of his team's season, possibly) should not have the right to play in whatever league he wants when he feels like it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • 4545_ajd

"But a player with millions invested in him (along with the hopes and dreams of his team's season, possibly) should not have the right to play in whatever league he wants when he feels like it.

Fine but then that team should have to forfeit all of the profits it stands to gain from the WBC.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • danthemetfan
He is not on the roster.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • ewok54
Contract year. Like Beltran and Reyes, who couldn't stay healthy for two years prior, Johan will be ready to perform in 2013 for his next employer. A big year and some team will give him 4 - 5 years at $60-75MM.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • sheadro
There should be a clause that Sandy can publicly smack Johan in the face for even attempting to play in the WBC. That's pretty disrespectful to the organization paying him $100 million with his recent injury history aNd concerns being what it is.

Edited 2/5/13   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • johnyringo

You and me both brother...

There should be no official meeting or announcement that he won't play...

It should be just one of those things that never comes to fruition.

He needs to focus elsewhere and those guys from where he is from take the WBC way to serious for our Millions.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • KB24NYM
i read today he is fighting to get on
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • Metsbert
The announcer during the Caribbean Series quoted Sandy saying Johann has not asked permission to play in the WBC, in essence, he removed himself from the WBC.
  • Reply to this Message