• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Will Astros take over 1962 Mets
  • To:All
  • 2/5/13
  • 4545_ajd
For worst record in baseball history? I think they have a legitimate shot at it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • Kranesback
So do the 2013 Mets
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • 4545_ajd

"So do the 2013 Mets"

No not really.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • MetObserver
Another question to ponder is will kitlernoseawl ever make a post worth reading?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • Kranesback
1962 Mets definitely had a better outfield and arguably a better bullpen.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • gilforhof
Astros have a shot, the 2013 Mets not even close, despite some thinking otherwise.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • MetObserver
The Stros will have to play 19 games against the Angels, Rangers, Athletics, and Mariners. So yeah they have a good chance. This year their highest paid player will be Wandy at $5 million and he won't even be on the team. Other than that the highest player will get $3 million. So far this year they have $16.75 Million committed to payroll and have no other players eligible for arbitration.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • Mort2112
I hope not. I'm kind of proud of that record.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • gilforhof
I don't think the money matters outside of there not being any star players. The 19 games against their divisional rival and the AL East is what will destroy them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • 4545_ajd
Also the Move to the AL logistically can't be easy, players and team associates are used to staying in the same hotels on the road where they know the area know the process, Having to play half your game on the road in a cities or places you aren't familiar with can't be simple.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • thagreat1
trollYou
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • gilforhof
It is the start of Met folklore and have to admit, there is some honor and pride attached to it. It makes for interesting conversation at times.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • 4545_ajd

"It is the start of Met folklore and have to admit, there is some honor and pride attached to it. It makes for interesting conversation at times."

I know the 1962 Mets were the lovable losers and all, but I would like to see another team take over that distinction.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • Kranesback
I've been a Met fan longer than you and on this board longer than you and I have a right to my opinions, so don't call me a troll. Now go away and grow up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • brianinwi

Yup. Me, too. I hope the '62 Mets keep that record forever.

I was going to say that was a record that could be unassailable, but I had forgotten that the Detroit Tigers (!) came close as recently as 2003. So, yeah, the Astros have a shot. If the Mets are out of it next year, this might lend some perverse entertainment value towards the end of the season if the Astros approach the record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_worst_Major_League_Baseball_season_records

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • danthemetfan
If you are no longer a fan, shouldnt you say you were a fan before any of us? The longevity of fandom had to have expired around the time you stopped rooting for the team, and wanting good things to happen for them. If the fan in you still exists, lighten up a little, and enjoy the team even for what it is.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • Mort2112
I remember in 2003 when Detroit was close. They had lost like 10 in a row and were on the verge of losing more than 120. They won 5 out of their last 6 to have only 119 losses. I was so happy. LOL
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • Mort2112
Yup, like I just said, I was rooting hard to the Tigers ten years ago.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • AdrianMonk
No, the '62 Mets weren't as bad, but the quality of play was of a much higher overall quality then.
There were future Hall of Famers on most of the clubs.

Edited 2/5/13   by  AdrianMonk
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • Kranesback
I never said i was no longer a fan....not that i know any explanantions to anyone, but since you are normally pretty reasonable, read my post under "with a little luck"... and maybe read it to thagreat1 too when he wakes up from nap time.
  • Reply to this Message