• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mejia should start over Gee
  • To:All
  • 2/4/13
  • The5Wright5Way

Yes Dillion Gee is a solid #4 or #5 guy and will always be that. I like Gee, but with the team as it is, how can you not go with Mejia.

He has ace potential. He has the WOW stuff.

In a year where the team is not going anywhere why not go with the guy who has the potential to be a #1-3?

Mejia cannot adjust to the pen, Gee could be a great long man out and spot starter.

Thoughts?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • brianinwi
Yes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • thagreat1
I agree with everything except I think gee could even excel as a bridge to Parnell who is in turn a bridge our closer
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • The5Wright5Way
Gee is not a late inning reliever. If we get Lyon it would be Parnell, Lyon, Francisco in some sort of order for 7, 8, 9 i'd hope Francisco, Parnell, Lyon but we'll see..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • ewok54
Mejia will get a good look in spring training. Mets don't seem as high on him. Otherwise why did they bring in Marcum? Certainly, if Mejia shows the stuff of a front of the rotation starter, that would be a big plus. You can never have too many good arms.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Gepett0

bc theyd prefer to have mejia working in the minors, then come up when santana is likely hurt or ineffective, then trade marcum at the deadline and bring up wheeler

by aug you are talking about a rotation of niese harvey gee mejia wheeler

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 58pwrhtr
I agree with your plan but I dont agree with your evaluation. I havent seen a single thing from Mejia to suggest he's ace material as a starter or reliever.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Mejia has good stuff for sure. I'd put him in AAA as a starter and let him get back into a starter's routine. He's coming back from TJS, they yoyo'ed him when he came back between starting and relieving and he's a very young man. I think he is the guy who started pitching when he was around 16, after deciding he had no future as a shoe shine boy in the DR. I'm not joking. So he doesn't have a whole lot of pitching under his belt and he may not have even learned to pitch as Gee has.

If Gee has a good season and Mejia develops, he could be a good trade piece at worst. I do think Gee is going to have a very nice season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • sheadro
If Mejia impresses this Spring then I don't see why he shouldn't win the job. I just see Gee's ideal spot as a long- middle relief/spot starter which is an underrated asset to a team in my opinion. Gee is fine for a back end starter, but he lacks the ceiling of Mejia. as you said Mejia has been jerk around a lot. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack at the Mets rotation to see where he fits in once and for all before we mess up his development more with uncertainty but granted he'd really have to show out in the Spring to win that job

Edited 2/4/13   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • thagreat1

I'm sorry but the more I think about it the more I think we'll be this years surprise team whether that's sneaking into the playoffs or just finishing with an overall good record.

I do not think starting pitching will be a problem forus. Offensively, we'll hang with a lot of teams and our bullpen is Waaaay to deep to be as horrendous as last year.

• Reply to this Message
Message 548087.11 was deleted
  • 2/4/13
  • thagreat1
Welcome back
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548087.13 was deleted
  • 2/5/13
  • bbjmparis

Did you see him pitch last year? Horrible. No command of his pitches at all. Fell behind 3-1 and got creamed when he had to throw a strike. Or, threw it down the middle trying to get ahead, and got creamed. He never put up good numbers in the minors, and had the "Deer in the headlights" look last year. Gee isn't going to be a big time star, but he's better than Mejia. I'm not sure I'd say Mejia has..."wow" stuff...but even if he does, it takes more than throwing hard to win in the majors...as so many minor league world beaters soon find out. Doubt that? Look up Sandy Koufax's career. Nobody threw harder, but until he learned to pitch, he was pretty bad. It took him half his career to learn too.

The bigger question is, can Gee still be effective? He's coming back from a serious medical condition and until we see him in ST, who knows? Our crack medical staff says he's ok, but with their track record that could be the kiss of death. I think he'll probably be okay, and I sure hope so, because we have nothing to replace him with. The more starts Mejia or Familia get, the worse we'll be.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • edmet
i like mejjia, but he needs AAA time. i would have gone with him as # 5 before marcum. now i see wheeler and mejjia competing for santana/marcum spot if 1 gets traded at deadline. they are also competing to see who gets the call in the event of an injury. for 2014, i can envision a rotation of harvey niese wheeler mejjia and gee. we have a lot of pitching coming, need to sign bourn, but only if it is the right deal, which to me is 3 to 5 yrs, aav of $13m with a player opt out after yr 2... backloaded.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • edmet
if we sign bourn i think we can be a surprise team. m aybe 85 wins if we are healthy and the BP performs.

Edited 2/5/13   by  edmet
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • thebobymon
You bring in Marcum because Mejia isn't proven yet.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • AdrianMonk

I thought it was a mistake to sign Marcum. Sandy caved in this time to the crowd.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • thagreat1
Doubt it. Bourne (aside from stolen bases and nothing else) barely stands out from our current crop of outfielders. I would bet that a platoon of brown/cowgill would be equally effective as Bourne. Even if Bourne does make us minimally better, he's not the one to push us over the hump into the realm of contending.

Edited 2/5/13   by  thagreat1
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • thagreat1
Yeah the problem now is we are too deep in the pitching category...I bet a lot of teams wish they had that problem
  • Reply to this Message