• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Tejada Wants to Steal More
  • To:All
  • 2/4/13
  • mysticpiazza
Told reporters today. Not sure what that means though. 10SBs? 20? Beyond? We know he's quick on the diamond, but does he have base stealing speed? I see that he stole as many as 19 SBs in AA in 553 PAs, so there's some speed there. But it always disappointed me that Endy had this supposed great speed and never stole much either.

Edited 2/4/13   by  mysticpiazza
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd
Lets hope working out with Reyes will help him see and do some things he hasn't before.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • _BigNick
Hopefully it means take advantage of opportunities more and be an efficient base-stealer. I'll just be happy if he continues to be plate-disciplined, and maybe gets his walk rate back up between his 2011 and 2012 level.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • johnyringo

I never considered Jose a great base stealer as far as technique goes.

I always felt like he never bothered to learn the art....just relied on speed.

Im not sure Jose would be a good base stealing coach

Edited 2/4/13   by  johnyringo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Gepett0

its true

as fast as reyes is he has a 79.9% success rate..but then again, henderson only had a success rate of like 80.5%

i think guys like that, in order to rack up steals, just chance it more than anything...and sometimes in truth it can be a detriment

beltran would be one of the best stolen base coaches of all time... i mean the guy has an 86.67% success rate....thats highest all time...next highest would be raines at 85.7 i believe

but i mean you cant call reyes a bad base stealer when you go back and look at guys like pete rose (57%)

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

"as fast as reyes is he has a 79.9% success rate..but then again, henderson only had a success rate of like 80.5%"

When you are known for stealing bases it becomes incredibly difficult to steal a base, the pitcher is more aware, he will throw over more, the catcher is on his toes, Reyes can never really sneak a stolen base, every time he gets on the other team is just going to assume he will try to steal. So to be anywhere around 80% when you are known primarily for being a base stealer is actually quite impressive.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • govmule72
Not sure why he wasn't stealing already.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Gepett0

management probably wanted him to air on the conservative side considering he is a young player and stealing bases isnt his thing really

that said, based off of the speed i DID see, i would say that, if he learns the technique, he can be a 15 or even max 20 stolen base threat

the last time that he spent the majority of a season in the minor leagues ( 2009 in AA) he stole 19....hes not FAST but he has imo slightly above average speed...he just needs to learn when and how to swipe the bag...truthfully, he should be learning from wright who is not much faster than him (if hes even faster at all) but is a good base stealer respective to his speed (though last year he got a little steal happy and wound up being cs more than at any other point in his career)

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • thagreat1
As long as he doesn't get caught
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • marvelousmarvin
He's not fast.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • johnyringo

I would like a beach house and a boat...so I'll hope for the best for Tejada.

He is a smart tuff kid...I know that but he's not fast.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Gepett0

nor is he slow

he did steal 18 and 19 bases in two minor league seasons

i think he can easily steal 10-15 if he learns how & when to do it

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd
Slower than Wright?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 86mex17
Hopefully he's better than mike leak
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • johnyringo

I think so. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, the kid is smart and tuff a grinder.

If he wants to steal more bags I have now doubt he will learn how to do it....like someone else said...It's not like he's slow

• Reply to this Message
Messages 548083.16 through 548083.17 were deleted
  • 2/5/13
  • edmet
15 out of 20 tries would be a good #/ratio. i dont expect more than that. a .290 avg. .340 obp (50bb) is more critical and doable. add 35 doubles, a steady glove and 145 starts and we are good to go. i still want bourn tho, and i would bat murph 3rd (.310, 452b,90rbi) followed by wright,ike,buck-tda,duda,and lf platoon, with tejada in the two hole. i know a lot of people want murph in the two hole, but batting tejada 7th or 8th is a waste. my version lengthens the lineup. if we dont sign bourn, then of course tejada follwed by murph as the 1-2.

Edited 2/5/13   by  edmet
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • Gepett0

i dont like wright in the cleanup role...hes never thrived there

IF we got bourn

id keep the lineup :

Bourn
Tejada
Wright
Davis
Murphy