• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 1993 Mets-20 year anniversary
  • To:All
  • 2/4/13
  • bklynmetsfan
20 years ago, I did a cross country road trip following the Mets (still have Soul Assylums "Runaway Train" in my head playing on radio). Who remembers this team? They were not just bad, they were horrible on and off the field. Who can forget names like Chico Walker,Joe Orsulak,Tim Bogar,Dave Gallagher,Ryan Thompson,Frank Tannana,Charlie O Brien. One of the biggest busts in Mets history was Tony Fernandez. Barely hit .220 in Queens, was traded to Toronto, hit like .330 and led them to the World Series. The guy they got for him, Darrin Jackson, had some rare disease and played in like 6 games tops. Remember Anthony Young? 1993 was Doc Goodens last hurrah as a productive member of the Mets (he would bomb in '94 before the drug suspension). Bobby Bonilla had a really good season (his only as a Met), Vince Coleman threw firecrackers, brett Saberhegan threw bleach, Dallas Green was manager. Hard to beleive it was 20 years ago. You can have '69,'73,'86,'99 and 2000, the 1993 Mets were my team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • gilforhof
Happy Anniversary .... I threw the gingko away to make sure to forget them. But, enjoy none the less. However (last remark), they do make this years team look unbeatable.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • thagreat1

we did really good in 1986 we won the World Series remember how good we did to 20 year anniversarY 2006

we did really bad in 1993 how will we do on our 20 year anniversary

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • gilforhof
You may have found something here ... a baseball deja vu thingie maybe. If so, 2016 will be our year for sure.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Kranesback
That's great....I was on a cross country trip with the family as a kid in 1969. The trip was in the early part of the season and I was not really checking the papers (was only 10 years old), but I remember hearing on the radio morning after morning that the Mets has won again. I was really shocked at one point along the trip when I found out we were in second place.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • bklynmetsfan
My memory of the trip. In June, while in Denver, the Mets passed the (then) expansion Rockies with having the worst record in baseball. That summer the Rockies were huge in Denver. While listening to their sports radio station, the hosts commented about the Mets "It couldnt have happened to a better team or a better city. I cant stand those New York gun carrying,subway riding,graffiti drawing people. The place is a cesspool". I'll never forget that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Kranesback
New york is not a cesspool....Baltimore is a cesspool.
  • Reply to this Message