L Bourn
L Murphy
R Wright
L Ike
R Buck / d'Arnaud
R Byrd
L Duda
R Tejada

Know what, that isn't terrible especially if Byrd can be anything like he was 2-3 years ago. Put that together with above average starting pitching and an improved and deep pen and I think the Mets could be competitive and even compete for a WC spot.

Still got to see what happens with Bourn but I haven't heard any rumors about him even close to signing with any other team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Bowser
Byrd? Yuck no thanks I doubt he can ever be as good as he was in 2009 when he played at Wrigly, that's hitter's park. He is 35 this year so he's pretty much near the end of his career. We'd be better off with Cowgill/Brown in the OF
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Yuck no thanks I doubt he can ever be as good as he was in 2009 when he played at Wrigly, that's hitter's park"

He played in Texas in 2009, but I am not even thinking about his 2009 stats, I'll take his numbers from 2010-2011.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Bowser

"He played in Texas in 2009, but I am not even thinking about his 2009 stats, I'll take his numbers from 2010-2011."

Even better place to hit I think. And while his 2010 stats are decent, his 2011 are really not that good. I think a platoon of Cowgill / Brown / Nieuwenhuis / Valdespin?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • MetObserver
If Byrd makes this team he will be a platoon/bench player not an everyday starter. Byrd, Brown and Cowgill will all be playing for that right handed hitter to work in a platoon and pinch hit against lefties. If any become a full time starter I would be surprised, but I think Cowgill would have the best chance. As a Centerfielder if DD and Kirk don't work out this Spring.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

"If Byrd makes this team he will be a platoon/bench player not an everyday starter. Byrd, Brown and Cowgill will all be playing for that right handed hitter to work in a platoon and pinch hit against lefties. If any become a full time starter I would be surprised, but I think Cowgill would have the best chance. As a Centerfielder if DD and Kirk don't work out this Spring."

This is based on the Mets signing Bourn, so he would be the everyday CFer. If they don't obviously everything changes.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • MetObserver
Baxter will be in the outfield way before Valdespin. Valdy will be starting in Las Vegas this year and will only be up if there are injuries. Turner and Hicks most likely to be the infield backups and Valdy can't be part of an outfield platoon.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • MetObserver
I don't really see that happening and in fact I am hoping that they don't sign Bourn. Not good enough for the money/years that he wants.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

If not the Mets than who will sign Bourn? I just don't see any real suitors, I think what he is asking for is going to drop, the big question is the draft pick.

And if you think that what he is asking for a lot just wait until you see what players start asking for once all of the new National TV money deal kicks in next year. So if we can sign him to an even decent deal and get him to drop his asking price a bit it might turn out to be a steal compared to what players are going to start getting after next year, which we have already seen a sample of.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/4/13
  • anthony888
If you had Josh Willingham in Byrd's place, it's a whole different lineup.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • MetObserver
He may have to sign a 1 or 2 year contract just to get to play. Or maybe get signed after the Draft so there would be no lost pick. But it is not a rule that all players will be signed. Some even have to go to Japan to get a deal. If he is signed to a minor league deal does the pick still apply? Or maybe we can work a deal with a team that has a protected pick to sign him cheap for 2-3 years and then trade him to us for a low prospect.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

"He may have to sign a 1 or 2 year contract just to get to play."

It is amazing that the two teams he has been mostl linked to are the Mets and Mariners who have the 11th and 12th picks in the draft where the first 10 are protected.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Kranesback
That's a lot of if's and probably 75 wins at best. We still have one of the worst all time bullpens.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd

"We still have one of the worst all time bullpens."

We do?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • saztastic2012
Amen to that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Kranesback
When people get excited about signing Latroy Hawkins, you know it's really bad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • 4545_ajd
Who was excited? I don't even expect him to make the team out of ST.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • edmet
agree, ad baxter to the platoon list.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 2/4/13
  • mysticpiazza
I may be in the minority, but I am curious to see what Cowgill can bring to the table. The guy was a .291 lifetime minor league hitter with .371OBP and 30+SB potential. If Bourn doesn't happen (and likely won't), Cowgill might just bring that sorely needed speed element. Of course, he'll have to get on base first, but he might just be a poor man's Pagan, which could work.
  • Reply to this Message